Spanish Civil War Refugees in the U.S.

Retelling the stories of the Asturian-American migration.<br>
Recontando las historias de la emigración astur-americana.

Moderators: Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

Terechu

Post by Terechu »

Depending on the size, shipping the book via Global Priority Mail in a standard rate envelope costs $9. (I should know, I've been buying quite a few from Amazon :lol: )
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Terechu, doesn't Amazon have a Spanish site? I'm pretty sure they have a French site and that shipping is relatively cheap from there (even if they ship it from the US).

If you're buying from the US Amazon site, be sure to use our affiliate link:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redir ... anameri-20
The little we earn from that helps pay for the costs of the site and it doesn't cost you anything.

---------------

¿Terechu, no hay un sitio español de Amazon? Estoy bastante seguro que hay un sitio francés y que los gastos de envío son relativamente baratos desde allí (incluso si Amazon envia los libros de EU).

Si compras del sitio de Amazon en EU, se ruega usar nuestro eslabón de afiliado:
Lo pocito que ganamos de esta eslabón nos ayuda pagar por los gastos del sitio y no te cuesta nada.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

As to the photos, I haven't heard anything from Donna yet about the number and size of the images. I agree, however, that the photos will be an important part of the book and that we should try to keep them with the text. I should be able to optimize them for the web so they take less space without losing too much quality.
-------------

En cuanto a las fotos, Donna no ha contactado conmigo sobre el número y el tamaño de las imágenes. Estoy de acuerdo, sin embargo, que las fotos serán una parte importante del libro y que deberíamos intentar de mantenerlos con el texto. Debería ser capaz de optimizarlos para el web para que toman menos espacio sin perder demasiada calidad.
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

Shucks! I had forgotten all about that link! I don't know if Amazon has a Spanish site, because I only buy Engish language books from them. We have very good bookstores in Gijón and Oviedo that get you any book in Spanish you need and there's no postage.
Art wrote:Terechu, doesn't Amazon have a Spanish site? I'm pretty sure they have a French site and that shipping is relatively cheap from there (even if they ship it from the US).

If you're buying from the US Amazon site, be sure to use our affiliate link:
The little we earn from that helps pay for the costs of the site and it doesn't cost you anything.

---------------

¿Terechu, no hay un sitio español de Amazon? Estoy bastante seguro que hay un sitio francés y que los gastos de envío son relativamente baratos desde allí (incluso si Amazon envia los libros de EU).

Si compras del sitio de Amazon en EU, se ruega usar nuestro eslabón de afiliado:
Lo pocito que ganamos de esta eslabón nos ayuda pagar por los gastos del sitio y no te cuesta nada.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

I couldn't find a Spanish site right off, but the French one is at
www.amazon.fr
They have English titles there (everything they have here, I think).
-----------------

No encontré una sitio español (con muy poco búsqueda), pero el francés es aquí: www.amazon.fr
Tienen libros en inglés allí (todos de aquí, pienso).
Corsino

Post by Corsino »

La Nueva España
-------------------

Saul Fernandez writes that the article about the Llerandis and the "Niños de la Guerra" is in the Sunday Magazine
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

Corsino wrote:La Nueva España
-------------------

Saul Fernandez writes that the article about the Llerandis and the "Niños de la Guerra" is in the Sunday Magazine
When I read this message it was Sunday evening and the nearest newspaper stand was already closed. So I phoned around and my younger brother still had his copy. He dropped by today and brought it.
The story of the Llerandi family is another of those that would seem incredible to us today, and yet he has not told all there was - two full newspaper pages just aren't enough - so I presume he's reserving part of it for the book you all are writing.
Corsino

Post by Corsino »

UPDATED LIST OF THE " MISSING"
------------------------------------------
I was able to get additional surnames from passenger lists. THERE MAY BE SLIGHT ERRORS IN SPELLING:

SS SERPA PINTO (ARRIVED IN NY ON JUNE 24, 1942)
---------------------------------------------------------------

ARGIMIRO DIAZ SUAREZ.........AGE 8........SAMA DE LANGREO
LUIS DIAZ SUAREZ..................AGE 11......SAMA DE LANGREO
BENJAMIN DIAZ SUAREZ..........AGE 14......SAMA DE LANGREO *

DOLORES ORTIZ CAMINO.........AGE 10......MALAGA
ROSA ORTIZ CAMINO...............AGE 12......MALAGA

ALBINA PEREZ CUERVO.............AGE 14......GIJON
ARMONIA PEREZ CUERVO..........AGE 9........GIJON
MANUEL PEREZ CUERVO............AGE 12......GIJON

NOTE: * Deceased

SS NYASSA (ARRIVED IN BALTIMORE, MARYLAND ON JULY 30, 1942)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ELVIRA ABADIE VILARSI............ AGE 12.....BARCELONA
LUISA ABADIE VILARSI...............AGE 11. ...BARCELONA

MANUEL FERNANDEZ GONZALEZ...AGE 12.....OVIEDO
BENIGNO FERNANDEZ GONZALEZ.AGE 13......OVIEDO

JOSE FERNANDEZ GROBA.............AGE 12......BILBAO

AUGUSTINA SAEZ CABAMERO.......AGE 12......ALFARO

JUAN GARCIA ROMERO.................AGE 11.......BENTARIQUE
ROSARIO GARCIA ROMERO...........AGE 13.......ALMERIA
Corsino

Post by Corsino »

DIAZ SUAREZ BROTHERS
------------------------------
Some time back we were looking for relatives of the Diaz brothers (Argimiro, Benjamin and Luis) around Sama de Langreo, but gave up because I didn't know the mother's surname, and there were several hundred people named Diaz in Langreo.
Now, since we found out that their surnames are DIAZ SUAREZ, I looked at the "white pages" and there's only about 7 listed in Langreo..So in the near future, I'll write to each that has an address listed.
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

Corsino, I've looked up the Díaz Suárez and the Pérez Cuervos, the only problem is that any relatives they might have, unless they are siblings, will have a different surname combination.

In other words, their cousins or nephews/nieces will be "Pérez so-and-so" or "so-and-so Pérez", which is an endless string of possibilities.

Let's all keep asking around, and I'll call the Díaz Suárez listed in the white pages in the course of today.

Terechu
Corsino

Post by Corsino »

Maybe Some Help
---------------------
Two organizations have offered to help in the search for the 15 Spanish Civil War refugees that we are still looking for.

The most important one is the International Social Services-USA (ISS), based in Baltimore , Maryland.
When the refugee children came to the U.S. in 1942, the U.S. Committee for the Care of European Children (USCOM) was in charge of finding foster homes or orphanages for them, and within less than two years, all the children were dispersed throughout the U.S. However, USCOM was disbanded in early 1953, and the ISS inherited the records.
For almost a year I've been trying to gain access to those records, hoping that they might help in locating the rest of the Spanish group. The good news is that the ISS has now retrieved the records from the archives and has assigned a person to look at them and maybe help in our search.

The second organization is the Joint Distribution Committee (JDC) based in NY. Although they cannot help with the search itself, they have provided some interesting information about how the evacuation of the children was organized, and sent me newspaper articles and correspondence that were in their files. The JDC, a Jewish organization, had representatives in Lisbon, Portugal, in 1942, and prepaid for the passage on the Portuguese ships Serpa Pinto and Nyassa, from Casablanca to the U.S. not only for the more numerous Jewish children , but also for the 40 Spanish children. It appears that USCOM reimbursed JDC for the Spanish children.
Corsino

Post by Corsino »

POSTING ON THE INTERNET
--------------------------------

It was a little over a year ago that I made my first post on this Forum, little realizing what would be the outcome. So I've been pleasantly surprised that it led to finding over half of the 40 Spanish Civil War refugees and the eventual compilation , with invaluable help from Donna Sweeney, of the personal stories for the first version of "We Came Alone". Of course, I'm grateful for the considerable help from other members of this Forum, such as Terechu , Art, Bob, and many others.

In addition to posting on this Forum, once in a great while I chance on another interesting website and cannot resist the urge to post on it, particularly if there is a chance that it may help locate more of the refugees. Usually, in a short time I forget that I posted somewhere. So it happened that a few days ago I got an e-mail from an Ana Garralon, asking if I would answer some questions for a children's book she's thinking of writing about the effect the Spanish Civil War had on Spanish children.
Ana wrote that she specializes in writing books for children, and after surfing the internet for her name, I found her mentioned in a couple of websites, "Cuatrogatos" and "Imaginaria".
So it's quite possible that I, and maybe some others, may provide her with information for her proposed book, since it seems that it may be a worthwhile project for her. Whether or not she uses the information will be up to her.
Corsino

Post by Corsino »

Latest News

A few days ago I received a little information from the International Social Services, which I'll quote:

"Juan Garcia, Rosario Garcia, Dolores Ortiz, and Rosa Ortiz left the U.S.
Luis Diaz, Benigno Fernandez, Jose Fernandez, and Manuel Perez all joined the army."

As of now, 15 are still unaccounted for, out of the original 40 refugees.

On the subject of our book "We Came Alone", we mailed out quite a few copies in CD-ROM format to those that requested copies.

I do want to thank several persons:

Donna Sweeney for her help in our search and for the many hours she spent in producing our book.

Terechu for locating Germinal Luis in Barcelona and for trying to locate others in Spain.

Saul Fernandez for writing two great articles in LNE about members of our refugee group and our search for the others.

Also, thanks to all of you who have shown an interest in our projects.
pacomorales

Nyassa

Post by pacomorales »

Corsino wrote:Hi Terechu
Yes, I'm getting more responses than I expected. It is nice that people are trying to help. But I am retired and the weather here has been cold and raining, so I have plenty of time to answer. Anyway, I think everybody likes to get mail.
I know that many refugees had a much more difficult time than I did. Under the circumstances, I was one of the luckier ones.
Yes, the ship was Portuguese, but we didn't sail from Lisbon. We left Marseille, France, on another ship, whose name I don't know, and landed in Oran, Algeria. From Oran we went to Casablanca by train. We sailed from Casablanca on the Nyassa. I know it was the Nyassa because we had to wear small identifying placards around our necks. Also, during the long trip, I made some friends among the ship's cooks and they were all Portuguese who could speak Spanish.

Corsino

Estimado Señor,

Encontré el mensaje que publicó en 2004 en http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtop ... c&start=15

Mi madre, Ana Folch, llegó como refugiada en el Nyassa, al igual que usted. Solo que desembarcaron en Veracruz. También salió de Marsella, pasó por Oran y estuvo en Casablanca unas semanas. Por lo visto hicieron el viaje juntos. Mi madre me comentó que el barco que salió de Marsella se llamaba Maréchal Lyautay.

Ahora estoy tramitandole una pensión por ser "Niña de la guerra", y necesitamos saber la fecha en que salió de Francia. Evidentemente esto es dificilísimo de saber. ¿Por casualidad usted tiene este dato?

Independientemente de que conozca esta información, sería interesante mantener contacto. Le paso mis datos:

Francisco Morales Folch
paco_morales (at) yahoo.com
Tel en Monterrey: (52) 81-83630758

Saludos cordiales,

Paco Morales
----------------------------------------------------------
Transl. Terechu

Dear Sir,
I found the message you published in 2004 http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtop ... c&start=15

My mother, Ana Folch, arrived as a refugee on the Nyassa, like you, only she disembarked in Veracruz. She also sailed from Marseille, with a stopover in Oran and spent a few weeks in Casablanca. It seems that you made the trip together. My mother mentioned that the ship that left Marseille was called Maréchal Lyautay.

I'm currently in the process of securing a pension for her, as she is a "Niña de la guerra", and would like to know the date when she left France. That is obviously very difficult to find out. Would you happen to know that date?

Even if you do not have this information, it would still be interesting to get in touch. Below are my contact data:

Francisco Morales Folch
paco_morales (at) yahoo.com
Tel en Monterrey: (52) 81-83630758
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

Hola Paco y bienvenido!

Corsino estará encantado de leer tu mensaje. Le voy a enviar un correo electrónico avisándole, por si no entró la página hoy.
------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Paco and welcome!

Corsino will be delighted to read your message. I'll be sending him an e-mail advising him of your post, in case he has not logged in today.

Saludos
Terechu

Return to “Immigrant Stories - Historias inmigrantes”