Asturian Cider

Serving cider & wine with Asturian meals. Making cider & other beverages.<br>
Servir sidra y vino con comidas asturianas. Hacer sidra y otra bebidas.

Moderators: almudena, Moderators

Bob

Post by Bob »

In general I think that legal controls over naming and stating places of origin for wines and ciders are a good idea, and will add to the stature of the product in other countries.

I just wish I could locate more Asturian ciders here in the US. All have been able to find is a nonalcoholic version. New ENgland makes some good hard ciders, but they aren't the same as the Asturian ones.
dcoffaro

Sidra por favor...

Post by dcoffaro »

Hola,

We are located in Northern New Jeresy, 15 minutes from Newark, and have run into numerous road blocks regarding sidra. We have visited many supermarkets, liquor stores, distributors and have yet to find the _non_ sparkeling sidra.

My girfriend, native of Oviedo, and myself love and miss the _non_ sparkeling sidra. Soooo, if anyone has found a location in NJ, NY or knows where it can purchased online would you lighten up the past 5 years for us by replying with any kind of information.

Gracias,

Denis
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Hi, Denis,

Welcome to the forum!

I believe that one of our members, Alfonso, has been getting it from someone in your area. As I understand it, they import it for the use by an Asturian group. You and your girl friend might enjoy the group, too.

You can find Alfonso by using the email button on this page:
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/profile ... ofile&u=63
(You have to be logged in to see member info.)

-------------------------

Hola, Denis,

¡Bienvenidos al foro!

Creo que uno de nuestros miembros, Alfonso, lo ha encontrado de alguien en su área. Tal como lo entiendo, lo importan para el uso de un grupo asturiano. Es posible que tú y tu novia podáis disfrutar del grupo, también.

Puedes encontrar a Alfonso por hacer click sobre el botón de correo electrónico en esta página:
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/profile ... ofile&u=63
(Tienes que ser conectado para ver la información de un socio.)
Fonzu

Some humor about la sidra

Post by Fonzu »

Natural Cure

Do you have feelings of inadequacy?

Do you suffer from shyness?

Do you sometimes wish you were more assertive?

If you answered yes to any of these questions, ask your doctor

or pharmacist about Sidra asturiana.

Sidra asturiana is the safe, natural way to feel better and more

confident about yourself and your actions. Sidra asturiana can

help ease you out of your shyness and let you tell the world

that you're ready and willing to do just about anything. You

will notice the benefits of Sidra asturiana almost immediately,

and with a regimen ofregular doses you can overcome any

obstacles that prevent you from living the life you want to

live. Shyness and awkwardness will be a thing of the past,

and you will discover many talents you never knew you had.

Stop hiding and start living, with Sidra asturiana

Sidra asturiana may not be right for everyone. Women who are

pregnant or nursing should not use it. However,

women who wouldn't mind nursing or becoming pregnant

are encouraged to try it. Side effects may include

dizziness, nausea, vomiting, incarceration, erotic lustfulness,

loss of motor control, loss of clothing, loss of money, loss of

virginity, delusions of grandeur, table dancing, headache,

dehydration, dry mouth, and a desire to sing Karaoke and

play all-night rounds of Strip Poker, Truth Or Dare, and

Naked Twister.

Caxigal
pkzimmer

Re: Asturian Cider

Post by pkzimmer »

Bob wrote:Superfically, this seems like a mere tradition (and perhaps a bit of a macho tradition, since I saw only men pour cider in that manner), but the resultant aeration really improves the taste of the cider immensely.
Pido perdón de los quienes preferían leer en asturianu. Aunque lo puedo leer y entender, todavía no soy capaz de escribir ni hablar en asturianu.

No sé si es un asunto ya muerto en ese fórum, pero hace dos días en el Concurso de Escanciadores en el Festival de la Sidra en Nava, mujeres tomaron los puestos 2, 4, & 5. El presentador hablaba (de broma) de «la muerte definitiva del machismo.»

Abajo tengo una foto de los 5 mejores del concurso escanciando el culín de honor.

---------------------------------

I don't know if it's a dead topic on this forum, but two days ago in the Escanciador (pourer) contest at the annual Festival de la Sidra in Nava, women took 3 of the top 5 spots (2nd, 4th, and 5th place). The m.c. jokingly spoke of "the definitive death of machismo."

I've attached a foto of the top 5 pouring a ceremonial culín.

-----

Image[/i]
Bob

Post by Bob »

My original comment, that I had seen only men pour sidra during my 1999 visit to Spain,was true, but amplified by one of our our female members. Both she and her sister are quite accomplished at pouring. My own observations were obviously quite limited.

As the father of two daughters and one son, and as the grandfather of two little girls (now ages 4 and 6), for whom I want the world to hold all possibilities open, I am more than happy that equality between the sexes seems to the spreading.
pkzimmer

Post by pkzimmer »

Bob wrote:...equality between the sexes seems to the spreading.
Indeed, although Spain still has some ways to go, I've even noticed a marked difference between now and my last trip in 2002.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Here's a link to an interesting article on the qualities of sidra, in English.

http://www.separationsnow.com/coi/cda/d ... d=8&page=1
pkzimmer

Post by pkzimmer »

Interesting, although it brought back unpleasant memories of Organic Chemistry II, the class that singlehandedly convinced me that biology was not the best choice for my future career.

It is also more interesting to me because I've recently started getting in to home-brewing beer, with some decent successes so far. This fall I think I'll see if I can give sidra a shot.
is

Post by is »

>This revealed that, as suspected from the findings with beer, smaller >polypeptides with low and medium molecular masses were strongly >associated with ciders that produced good quality foam (thick but >unstable). Blanco-Gomis and his team found that an LDA model based on >the six most discriminating polypeptides was able to classify the ciders >into the two foaming groups with 100% accuracy.

Bob, we need to carry out more empirical studies on the relationship between the molecular mass of the amino acids and the size/stability of the foam in a 'culin'.

Also, the article speaks about lipids in the cider as contributing to the breakdown of the foam (the instability). So if those lipids were chemically neutralized, would we get cider with stable foam like in a Guinness black beer?

And what about a theory based on the incline of the glass toward the stream of cider in the height of the foam? Either way, very intersting; I'll have to forward it to my brother, who is an avid cider drinker.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Sign me up for the empirical study and let me know where to get the sidra.

More seriously, the effect of lipids on foam stability is probably more related to the physical properties of lipids than to their chemical properties, but I would have to defer to my colleagues in chemistry or physics.
granda

Post by granda »

Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Darn. It looks like it's supposed to be funny, but I don't understand enough of the dialogue to follow the "plot."

-----------------------

Meca. Parece que sea gracioso, pero no lo entiendo bastante del diálogo para seguir la "trama".
davidncpr

Me apetece un culin

Post by davidncpr »

Hi, I've just returned from Uvieu after almost a 20 year absence. I can't believe how much the sidrerias on C/ Gascona and others have been cleaned up! No more sawdust on the floor, everyone gets their own glass, etc. Some sidrerias even look a bit swanky! It's good to see sidra remains popular with the younger generations, but I missed the "old-school" touches.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has made any progress in getting real, non-sparkling sidra in the U.S., esp. in the NYC area, or perhaps in the Montreal area? I live about halfway between both!

We're dying for a nice culin this summer...

David
Xose

Post by Xose »

Gah! No sawdust! Non-shared glasses?!?! WTF! Asturianus, get your collective mierda together and stop this wholesale destruction of your/our culture! :shock:

Return to “Drinks, Cider - Bebidas, sidra”