FAQFAQ          SearchSearch          MemberlistMemberlist          UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile          Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages          Log inLog in          
The Spanish Society of St. Louis Rana League Website

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Asturian-American Migration Forum Index -> Folklore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bast1399

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: The Spanish Society of St. Louis Rana League Website Reply with quote

Here is a link to the Rana League that we have here in St. Louis Missouri. www.leaguelineup.com/spanishsocietyrana
I know that we have Americanized the game a bit but thought you may like to have a look at it. There is also a list of players past and present that may have links to family still in Spain.

I was not sure where to post this exactly so if you have a proper place for it please move to where you think best suited.
Art
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that, Bast. Along with Miami, NYC, and Tampa, St. Louis must have one of the strongest Spanish/Asturian groups in the US. Do you know what percentage of the Spanish there identify as Asturian?
bast1399

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: percentage Reply with quote

From what I have been told when the great migration from West Virginia occurred it was around 85%, to day it is mainly 3rd & 4th generations of the original settlers.
Art
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes sense, given that the majority of the Spanish in north central WV were Asturian.

Did the migration take place when a zinc factory opened in the St. Louis area?

Would a majority of the 3rd and 4th generation still consider themselves Asturian or Asturian-American?
Bob

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:52 am    Post subject: My family Reply with quote

Hi Bast,

My family lived in West Virginia, but also spent some time in Kansas and St. Louis before moving there. They eventually moved to Niagara Falls.

Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Asturian-American Migration Forum Index -> Folklore All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: