Hello from Uk - The Arrojo family

Researching our ancestors in Asturias & America.<br>
Investigando nuestros antepasados en Asturias y America

Moderators: svgev, Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

helen gyngell

Hello from Uk - The Arrojo family

Post by helen gyngell »

Hello, my name is Helen and I am from the UK. By chance this week, I came across this website and was amazed to see an old photo that I am very familiar with - The Arrojo Family photo - posted by MMendezz24

My mother was born in Avilés in 1927 and is known in the family as Pepita. She is one of six sisters and is the daughter of Luciano Suárez-Muñiz and Elvira Loché-Arrojo. Elvira is one of the girls in the Arrojo family photo. She is standing next to her sister Vitorina who emigrated to West Virginia in 1920 and married Angel Mendez.

Over the years my mother has kept in contact with her cousins in America (Angelina, Angel, Roberto, Betty) but we knew very little about the rest of the family there - we only knew that her grandmother (Adela Arrojo-Martinez) had a brother that had moved to Cuba, Havana (but until now, she hadn't know his name), and that three sisters (Primitiva, Terina and Aurora) had gone to live in America - but she didn't have any photos of them or any other information.

This website has filled in a lot of gaps in just a few days - it has been overwhelming. I keep discovering more and more connections!!. I would still like to find out more about the family in Cuba - if anyone has any information and photos of Manolo Arrojo and his family - please get in touch.
Last edited by helen gyngell on Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Hello Helen
Aurora was my grandmother, she married Dagio Vasquez and they had eight children. My mother was Ida. She had a sister Mary, and brothers Raymond, Frank, Jessie, Ceasar, Joe (my Uncles and Aunts). She also had one child that died at a very young age, Rose Mary.

My grandmother had three sisters. One was Primativa Arrojo Tamargo, who married Joe Tamargo. They had one son Joe. Joe had one son, Joe Jr, and one daughter, Shelley Marie. It's sad to say that I know nothing about Joe Jr or his sister.

Tarina married Joe (Carreno) Martinez and they had six kids: Sam, Victor, Charlie, Joe, Angie (who married Benny Alvarez and had two children, Ben Jr and Alice, both of whom have passed on). Tarina has one daughter who is still living, Lucy, who is in Clarksburg WV. As a guess she should be about 95 or so.

Manolo had two children, a son Joe, a daughter Adela.

My grandmother had a sister that never made it to the states whose name was Adela Arrojo Mendez. She still has family in Oviedo, Asturias. My daughter went to visit with them this pass summer.

Your mother's cousins Angelina, Roberto (I do miss him) are no longer with us. Betty lives in PA. Angel lives in FL. We were once a large family, but time has taken it toll.

As far as the photo you talk about I don't know MMendezz24.

If it's the photo I'm thinking of, all the Arrojos are in it.

Vitorina is the daughter of Adela (she was something else). Betty lives in PA. We talk at least twice a month on the phone. She had a stroke a few years back, but she's coming along. On Aurora's side, all that is left are three grandsons, of which I'm one.

I hope this help you, if you have anymore questions, please let me know. I'll be glad to help. One other thing about the family in Cuba, I had one of them call me on the phone a few years ago. He now lives in FL. He said he wanted to come up this way for a visit, but he never made it yet. I know he has two son, but don't know the names.

Return to “Genealogy - Genealogía”