LUCIANO RODRIGUEZ AND NATIVIDAD FERNANDEZ

Retelling the stories of the Asturian-American migration.<br>
Recontando las historias de la emigración astur-americana.

Moderators: Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

Spdairy306

LUCIANO RODRIGUEZ AND NATIVIDAD FERNANDEZ

Post by Spdairy306 »

My Great Grandfather, Luciano Rodriguez Fernandez, was born on December 25, 1885 in Loro, Asturias. I was told that at the time, Spain required males to serve two years in the military when they turn eighteen. His parents Fernando Rodriguez and Filomena Menendez like I'm sure several other parents sent him away so he would not have to serve. I'm not sure if his two brothers Bravilio and Jose were also sent away. If he left before his 18th birthday, then he would have left Spain in 1903. He first went to Cuba where he learned to become a cigar worker. From the census records he came to Tampa from Cuba in 1906. He lived in Tampa for three years before he returned to Spain to marry my great-grandmother Natividad Fernandez in 1909. She was born December 27, 1887 in Selgas, Asturias, daughter of Baldermo Fernandez and Barbra Lopez. He returned to Tampa then alter he returned to Spain to take my Great Grandmother and grandmother Alicia Rodriguez to the US in September in 1916. He worked as a cigar worker for the Salvador Rodriguez Inc factory (no relation) until 1924 when my great grandmother won "a substantial amount" in the Cuban Lottery and they started a dairy named Spanish Dairy Farm. They ran the dairy for 20 years before he died in 1944. The dairy continued to operate with the help of my grandparents until it was decided to shut it down in 1960. My great grandmother eventually died in 1975.

Translated section by http://translation.lycos.com/lycos

Mi gran abuelo, Luciano Rodriguez Fernandez, nació de diciembre el 25 de 1885 en Loro, Asturias. Me dijeron que en ese entonces, España requirió a varones servir dos años en los militares cuando dan vuelta a dieciocho. Sus padres Fernando Rodriguez y Filomena Menendez como soy seguro que varios otros padres lo enviaron lejos así que él no tendrían que servir. No soy seguro si enviaron sus dos hermanos Bravilio y Jose también lejos. Si él se fuera antes de su décimo octavo cumpleaños, entonces él tendría España izquierda en 1903. Él primero fue a Cuba en donde él aprendió hacer trabajador del cigarro. De los expedientes de censo él vino a Tampa de Cuba en 1906. Él vivió en Tampa para tres años antes de que él volvió a España para casar a mi grande-abuela Natividad Fernandez en 1909. Ella era de diciembre nato el 27 de 1887 en Selgas, Asturias, hija de Baldermo Fernandez y Barbra Lopez. Él volvió a Tampa entonces lo altera volvió a España para llevar mi gran abuela y a abuela Alicia Rodriguez a los E.E.U.U. en septiembre en 1916. Él trabajó como trabajador del cigarro para la fábrica de Rodriguez inc. del Salvador (ninguna relación) hasta 1924 en que mi gran abuela ganada "una cantidad substancial" en la lotería cubano y ellas comenzó una lechería nombrada Spanish Dairy Farm. Funcionaron la lechería para 20 años antes de que él murió en 1944. La lechería continuó funcionando con la ayuda de mis abuelos hasta que era decidido para cerrarla abajo en 1960. Mi gran abuela murió eventual en 1975.

Return to “Immigrant Stories - Historias inmigrantes”