Montequins of Kansas and Pennsylvania

Retelling the stories of the Asturian-American migration.<br>
Recontando las historias de la emigración astur-americana.

Moderators: Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

Jim Montequin

Montequins of Kansas and Pennsylvania

Post by Jim Montequin »

The Montequins Of Kansas and later, Pennsylvania, are decendants of Jose Montequin de Berros from Pola de Siero and Matilde Garcia de Solis from Heres. Their children, known to me, were Manuel, Ramon, Fulzencio, Francisco, Constantino, Maria de Carmen, and Jose.
Five of the brothers emigrated from Spain to Cuba about 1904 or 1905 then, later, entered the U.S. from Cuba. Manuel was the first to enter the U.S. followed by the other brothers in 1907. Records uncovered indicate they lived in Cherryvale, Kansas until sometime after 1910. I have confirmed Manuel and Francisco living in Cherryvale and Constantino living in Caney Township in the 1910 US Census. Manual and Francisco lived on or near Front Street in and area called "smeltertown" in Cherryvale. I believe most or all worked for the Edgar Zinc Company in Cherryvale.
The brothers began moving from the area before 1920 with only Constantino still living in Cherryvale in 1920. I suspect they moved when the local smelter began to shutdown. Here are brief summaries of the family members

Manuel Montequin
Manuel Montequin was born in Spain about 6 May, 1876. It is unknown when he emigrated from Spain to Cuba. He left Havana on 21 April, 1905 on the SS Schalmette and entered the US on 23 April 1905 through New Orleans according to immigration records. The record shows his destination as a cousin, Jose Herera, in New Orleans.
It is unclear when he arrived in Cheryvale. The 1910 US Census lists Manual Montequin as a partner in a grocery store with Celestino Garcia. He moved from Cherryvale before 1920 but it is not know when he left or when he arrived in Langeloth, PA. He contracted to have a grocery store built 13 April, 1918. The 1920 US Census confirms he was living in Langeloth in 1920. The record shows Etta Meeske listed as "companion." Etta, a widow and mother of Constantino's wife, Minnie, appears to be assisting Manuel with the store.
I have not determined when Manuel married as the 1920 US Census lists him as single but he was married at the time of his death in 1926. At some point he married Marion Gratton of Perry, Pike County, Illinois. She is identified as one of the heirs of his estate. Manuel and Marion operated the grocery store until his death in 1926 when the store was sold to Francisco Montequin. He is buried in Fairview Cemetery in Burgettstown, PA.

Ramon Montequin
Ramon Montequin was born in Spain about 1877 or 1978. He married Delores Gonzalez in Spain about 1896. He and his wife emigrated from Spain to the US via Cuba. They entered the US from Havana at Ellis Island on 23 August, 1907. I have little information on Ramon beyond his entry to the US. Family oral history says he died in West Virginia but no date or location is known. Since he is not listed as an heir on Manuel's estate, he must have died before Manuel's death.
Ramon and Delores had two children; Jose "Pepe" and a younger daughter who died as a child.
Family oral history also says Delores returned to Spain and remarried. She is said to have operated a pensión

Fulzencio Montequin
Very little is known of Fulzencio. He was unknown to me until 2007 when I discovered his name as an heri to Manuel Montequin's estate. He is listed as a brother residing in Avilés.

Francisco Montequin
Francisco "Lito" Montequin was born 10 October, 1883 in LaFabrica and baptized at San Martin de Laspra, Asturias, Spain. He married Elvira Alvarez on 14 Jun 1904 and their first son, Victor, was born and baptised there. The three emigrated from Spain to Cuba and then to the US. They left Havana on 25 March, 1907 on the SS Momus and entered the US on 27 March, 1907 through New Orleans according to immigration records. The record shows their destination as brother, Manuel, in Cherryvale.
They lived in Cherryvale, KS from 1907 to, at least, 1913 based on birth and baptism records located for children born in Cherryvale. The 1910 US Census lists Frank, Elvira, and Victor residing at 230 Front Street in Cherryvale, but does not list Maria Rachel and Pacita Trinidad.
He moved from Cherryvale before 1920. It is uncertain when he left Cheryvale but is draft registration of October 1918 lists Crystal City, MO as his address. The family is shown living in Langeloth in the 1920 US Census. The birth record for son Joseph Montequin filed in 1923 lists them residing in Langeloth, PA. Oral history says they moved to Niagra Falls, NY in 1924. The birth records for daughters Maria Rachel and Pacita Trinidad filed in 1926 list them residing at 441 Portage Road, Niagara Falls, NY. He may have lived for some time in Lackawanna, NY.
Upon the death of Manual Montequin in 1926, Francisco purchased the grocery store in Langeloth, PA from Manuel's estate. The store remained in operation until sometime in the '50s. He continued to live here until his death in 1968. He is buried in Fairview Cemetery in Burgettstown, PA.

Constantino Montequin
Constantino Montequin was born 23 August, 1885 in Asturias, Spain. This date is shown on his WW I draft registration of September 12, 1911. He emigrated from Spain to the US via Cuba. He entered the US at Ellis Island on May 22, 1909. He lived and worked in Cherryvale. Constantino is shown living in Caney Township in the 1910 US Census.
He married Minnie Luellen Meeske" Campa June 14, 1919 in Independence, Kansas confirmed by marriage records found there. For a short time he owned a grocery store in Cherryvale. Dunham's Cherryvale, Kansas City Directory for 1920-1921 lists he and Minnie owning a grocery store located at 626 Front Street. The business directories for 1913-1914 and 19??-19? do not list the store.
Family oral history says the store in Cherryvale was dismantled and moved to Oklahoma. It is known that Minnie's family lived in and around Nowata, OK, about 50 miles South of Cherryvale. I suspect the business was lost in the depression. Constantino and Minnie are shown living with Minnie's uncle, Frank Lawson, in Montgomery County Kansas. They moved to Langeloth, PA after 1930 and lived there until the '40s or '50s when he moved to Collinsville, OK. Minnie died on 26 December, 1954 in Collinsville and is buried in Fairview Cemetery in Cherryvale, KS section P lot 46.
After Minnie's death Constantino returned, briefly, to Langeloth then returned to Spain where he died. Oral history says he lived in Pierdras Blancas.

Maria "Lola" Montequin
Maria Montequin was born in Spain on 14 May, 1887. She married Senor Diaz, first name unknown, and they had at least two daughters, Matilde Diaz and Elvira Diaz. She remained in Spain and oral history says she lived on Calle Venisa in Avilés, Asturias, Spain. I have been unable to confirm this address. She is listed as an heir to Manuel's estate residing in Avilés.
Matilde Diaz married to Jose Gomez. Nothing is know about Elvira Diaz.

Jose "Ping" Montequin
Jose Montequin was born 21 March 21, 1889 in LaFabrica and baptized at San Martin de Laspra, Asturias, Spain. He emigrated from Spain to Cuba and then to the US. Accompanying his brother, Francisco and family, he left Havana on 25 March, 1907 on the SS Momus and entered the US on 27 March, 1907 through New Orleans according to immigration records. The record shows his destination as brother, Manuel, in Cherryvale.
He lived and worked in Cherryvale. He married Consuela Perez 26 September, 1912 in St. Francis Xavier Church in Cherryvale confirmed by marriage records. Sons Ramon "Speed" and Jose Maria "Duncan" were baptized at St. Francis in 1916. The family left Cherryvale prior to 1920. Birth records of children trace is movement. Manuel "Dutch" was born in Kinney, KS in 1916. Children Maria "Lola" (1920), Pacita "Pansy" (1921), Josephine "Fina" (1922), Anita "Annie" (1923), and Angel "Suzie" (1926) were born in Canton, OH. The last child, Dolores "Dodo" was born in Pittsburgh, PA indicating they were residing in Langeloth when she was born. Records suggest he lived in Slovan, PA for some time.
He died in 10 November, 1940 and is buried in Fairview Cemetery in Burgettstown, PA.

----------------------------------------------
Trans. Ana

The Montequins Of Kansas and later, Pennsylvania, are decendants of Jose Montequin de Berros from Pola de Siero and Matilde Garcia de Solis from Heres. Their children, known to me, were Manuel, Ramon, Francisco, Constantino, Maria de Carmen, and Jose.

Los Montequin de Kansas y, posteriormente, Pensilvania, son descendientes de Jose Montequin de Berros, natural de Pola de Siero, y de Matilde Garcia de Solis, natural de Heres. Sus hijos eran Manuel, Ramon, Francisco, Constantino, Maria del Carmen y Jose.

Los hermanos emigraron de España a Cuba en 1904 ó 1905, para después llegar a EE.UU. Manuel fue el primero en llegar a EE.UU. en 1905, seguido por otros de sus hermanos hacia 1907. Según indican los archivos residieron en Cherryvale (Kansas) hasta al menos 1913. En el censo de 1910 he podido confirmar que Manuel y Francisco vivían en Cherryvale y Constantino en Caney Township. Creo que Manuel y Francisco vivían en o cerca de Front Street, una zona conocida como “smeltertown” en Cherryvale. Todos, o casi todos ellos, trabajaban en la fundición de zinc, creo que en la Edgar Zinc Company.

Los hermanos se fueron de la zona antes de 1920, siendo Constantino el único que continuó viviendo en Cherryvale. Creo que se fueron entre 1916 y 1918 a trabajar a otra fundición de zinc en Lageloth (PA) que abrió por aquellas fechas.

A continuación unas breves reseñas sobre los miembros de esta familia.

Manuel Montequin
Manuel Montequin nació en España en 1877 ó 1878. Emigró de España a los EE.UU. en 1905 vía Nueva Orleans, según consta en los archivos de inmigración.

En el censo de 1910 Manuel aparece como socio de una tienda de alimentación junto con Celestino Garcia. Abandonó Cherryvale antes de 1920 para, según creo, trasladarse a Langeloth (PA) hacia 1916 y donde abrió una tienda de alimentación. Tengo una copia del contrato de construcción de la Montequin Grocery en Langeloth. He podido confirmar que residía en Langeloth en el censo de 1920 y donde su apellido consta como Montegna por un error ortográfico. Figura como cabeza de familia y compañero de Etta (¿May?) Muske. Creo que es la mujer a la que la familia se refería como su esposa May. No he podido confirmar si estaban casados. Él y su mujer regentaron la tienda de alimentación hasta su defunción en 1926, momento en el que la tienda pasó a manos de Francisco Montequin. Manuel está enterrado en el cementerio de Fairview, Burgettstown (PA).

Ramon Montequin
Ramon Montequin nació en España en 1877 ó 1878. Él y su esposa Dolores emigraron de España a los EE.UU. vía Cuba. Entraron en los EE.UU. por Ellis Island el 23 de agosto de 1907. Según los archivos de inmigración su hijo Jose – Pepe – llegó a los EE.UU. el 11 de junio de 1921. No está claro si ésta era su primera llegada o el regreso de una visita a España. Creo que tuvo lugar tras un viaje a España para visitar a la familia. Según cuenta la familia, Ramon y su esposa regresaron a España.

Francisco Montequin
Francisco “Lito” Montequin nació el 11 de octubre de 1883 en La Fabrica, recibiendo el bautismo en San Martín de Laspra (Asturias). Él, su mujer Elvira Alvarez y su hijo Victor Manuel emigraron de España a Cuba y, posteriormente, a los EE.UU. en marzo de 1907. Tengo una copia de dos de sus certificados de inscripción en el registro de extranjeros con la fecha de entrada a los EE.UU. Vivió en Cherryvale, Kansas, desde 1907 hasta por lo menos 1913, según los certificados de nacimiento y bautismo de los hijos del matrimonio nacidos en Cherryvale. Según el censo de 1910, Frank, Elvira y Victor residen en el 230 de Front Street, Cherryvale, pero no se cita a Maria Rachel, Pacita Trinidad o Elanora.
Frank se fue de Cherryvale antes de 1920. No estoy seguro de cuándo se marchó y llegó a Langeloth, pero creo que fue entre 1916 y 1918. Según el censo de 1920 la familia reside en Langeloth, con un error de ortografía de su apellido que aparece como Monteziner. En el certificado de nacimiento de su hijo Joseph Montequin, con fecha de 1923, figuran como residentes en Langeloth (PA). Según cuentan se trasladaron a Niagara Falls (NY) en 1924. En las partidas de nacimiento de Maria Rachel y Pacita Trinidad, con fecha de 1926, constan como residentes en el 441 de Portage Road, Niagara Falls. Puede que durante algún tiempo Frank vivera en Lackawanna (NY).

Tras la muerte de Manuel Montequin en 1926 pasó a ser propietario de la tienda de alimentación de Langeloth (PA). La tienda continuó abierta hasta 19xx. Vivió en Langeloth hasta su muerte en 1968. Está enterrado en el cementerio de Fairview, Burgettstown (PA).

Constantino Montequin
Constantino Montequin nació el 23 de agosto de 1885 en Asturias, fecha que aparece en su cartilla militar de la primera guerra mundial del 12 de septiembre de 1911. Emigró de España a los EE.UU. vía Cuba. Llegó a los EE.UU. por Ellis Island el 22 de mayo de 1909. Vivió y trabajó en Cherryvale. En el censo de 1910 consta como residente en Caney Township. Contrajo nupcias con Minnie Luellen “Muske” Campa el 14 de junio de 1919 en Independence, Kansas, según consta en su certificado de matrimonio. Durante un corto espacio de tiempo regentó una tienda de alimentación en Cherryvale. En el Kansas City Directory de 1920-1921, él y su esposa Minnie figuran como propietarios de una tienda de alimentación ubicada en el 626 de Front Street. La tienda no consta en el directorio de negocios de 1913-1914 y de 19??-19?? Se trasladó a Langeloth (PA) con posterioridad a 1920 y allí residió hasta los años 50, cuando se trasladó a Bartlesville (OK) o a Cherryvale. Minnie falleció en 1954 y está enterrada en el cementerio de Fairview, Cherryvale en la sección P, parcela 46. Tras la muerte de Minnie Constantino regresó, durante un breve periodo a Langeloth y, posteriormente, regresó a España, donde falleció. Según algunos comentarios vivió en Piedras Blancas.

Maria "Lola" Montequin
Maria Montequin nació en España el 14 de mayo de 1887. Permaneció en España y, según la historia oral de la familia, vivía en la Calle Venisa, en Avilés, Asturias. No he sido capaz de confirmar esta dirección. Tengo una fotografía sacada en 1967 de María y su hija Matilda (¿Matilde?), casada con José Gómez.

Jose "Ping" Montequin
Jose Montequin nació el 21 de marzo de 1889. Según la historia oral de la familia, emigró de España a los EE.UU. vía Cuba en marzo de 1907. Vivió y trabajó en Cherryvale. El 26 de septiembre de 1912 contrajo matrimonio con Consuela Pérez en la iglesia de Francisco Xavier, en Cherryvale, dato confirmado por el certificado de matrimonio. Sus hijos, Ramon “Speed” y Jose Maria “Duncan”, fueron bautizados en la misma iglesia en 1916. Antes de 1920 se marchó de Cherrvale. Los certificados de nacimiento de sus hijos reflejan continuos traslados. Manuel “Dutch” nació en Kinney (KS) en 1916. Mara “Lola” (1920), Pacita “Pansy” (1921), Josephine “Fina” (1922), Anita “Annie” (1923) y Angel “Suzie” (1926) nacieron en Canton (OH). Su última hija, Dolores “Dodo” nació en Pittsburgh (PA), lo que indica que residían en Langeloth en el momento de su nacimiento. Los archivos indican que, durante algún tiempo, vivió en Slovan (PA). Falleció en 1940 y está enterrado en el cementerio de Fairview, Burgettstown (PA).
Last edited by Jim Montequin on Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jovita

Montequin family

Post by Jovita »

Thanks, Jim, for the extensive work you have done on the family. I am Joe and Elvira's (Tubby) daughter Jovita. My sister, Trina, told me about this site yesterday, and lo and behold I found your posting. My regret is I do not know Spanish and that prohibits me from reading alot of the forum. Take care.

---------------------------------------------
Trans. Ana

Jim:

Gracias por el exhaustivo trabajo que has realizado de la familia. Soy Jovita, la hija de Joe y Elvira (Tubby). Mi hermana Trina me habló ayer de esta página y por casualidad he encontrado tu mensaje. Lamento no saber español, lo que me limita a la hora de leer muchas cosas en el foro. Cuídate.
bobV

Post by bobV »

Jim, that was a wonderful history of your family. I spent summers in Langeloth and lived with my grandparents, Lola and Jesus Posada. My grandmother ordered groceries from "Lito" Montequin. He would deliver daily and it was a treat to go with him and deliver the boxes of groceries. If we did a good job, it meant an ice cream cone next door to the store in "Pepe's" soda fountain/poolroom. Lito must have been a daring businessman as he was competing with the Company Store at the top of the hill. Lito, Pepe, and Pato Garcia (owner of the store on Miner's Hill) were truly early Asturian entrepeneurs. bobV
Jim Montequin

The Montequin Family

Post by Jim Montequin »

I apologize, Jovita, for not responding sooner to your post. It is good to hear from you and very glad you and your sister have discovered this site. I have some updated information that I hope to post soon. I have some interesting records, like a copy of your great-grandparent's marriage record I picked up on our visit to Spain in 2005. I am still trying to track down more information on Ramon Montequin and trying to track down more information on Elvira Alvarez Montequin and her family.
Aidita

Re: Montequins of Kansas and Pennsylvania

Post by Aidita »

Hi Jim, I read your post and I am very interested in finding out about my grandfather and great grandfather's ancestry. My name is Aida Montequin Kirk. My father Arturo Montequin told me his grandfather went to Puerto Rico with the Spanish armada. His last names were Montequin Berros, His family was from Pola de Siero Asturias. Two of his brothers were in the armada also - one was sent to Cuba and the other one to Dominican Republic. In the 60's we met some of the relatives that emigrated to Puerto Rico from Cuba and my father Arturo and the cousin Pedro figured out they had the same great grandfather. All the names you list here appeared to be from the Cuba cousin. Do you know anything about the other brothers. My husband and I are planning a trip to Spain and would like to visit Asturias and see where it all began, and see if there are any distant relatives living there. thank you, Aidita
Yo puedo escribir en español también. gracias
Jasm

Post by Jasm »

06/06/1903
Se realizaba causa judicial contra Ramón Montequín García, y 3 personas más una de ellas, era Francisco Montequín García, por agredir e insultar a Guardias Civiles del puesto de Castrillón el 31/10/1902, Ramón, soldado en depósito como excedente de cupo, hijo de José y Matilde, natural de Campas, parroquía de San Martín, Concejo de Castrillón, casado, 24 años, jornalero, pelo castaño, cejas al pelo, ojos castaños, nariz regular, barba saliente, boca regular, color trigueño, frente espaciosa y estatura 1,65 m de altura se hallaba en libertad provisional, había desaparecido del pueblo donde residía
There was a judicial case against Ramon Montequin Garcia, and 3 people plus one of them, was Francisco Montequin García, for assaulting and insulting Civil Guards of the post of Castrillón on October 31, 1902, Ramón, soldier in deposit as a quota surplus, Son of Jose and Matilde, native of Campas, parish of San Martín, Council of Castrillon, married, 24 years old, day laborer, brown hair, eyebrows, brown eyes, regular nose, beard protruding, regular mouth, brownish color, spacious front and height 1.65 m height was on provisional release, had disappeared from the town where he resided
02/08/1904
Se emplazaba para presentarse al juez militar, por falta grave de 1ª deserción simple, a Francisco Montequín García, en situación de licencia ilimitada, hijo de José y Matilde, natural y vecino de Laspra, Castrillón, 20 años, jornalero, soltero, 1,653 m de altura, se desconocía su paradero.
He was cited to appear before the militay judge, for serious failure of 1st simple desertion, Francisco Montequin Garcia, in situation of unlimite license, son of Jose y Matilde, born and neighbour in Laspra, Castrillon, 20 years old, laborer, single, height 1,653 m, his whereabouts was unknown
21/05/1907
Se emplazaba para presentarse al juez militar, por no haberse presentado a filas, el soldado Constatino Montequín García, hijo de José y Matilde natural de Santa María del Mar, Castrillon, soltero, 21 años, jornalero, se desconocía su paradero.
He was cited to appear before the militay judge, for he nothaving presented to military service, teh soldier Constantino Montequín García, son of Jose and Matilde, born in Santa Maria del Mar, Castrillon, single, 21 years old, laborer, his whereabouts was unknown

I apologize by my English (I don't speak English)
Bob

Post by Bob »

In fairness, desertion from the Spanish military in the early 20th century is completely understandable. The conscripts were often poorly armed, poorly led, ill-trained, and suffered from poor quality food and not enough of if. Their death rate, even without counting combat deaths, was appalling, and they were sent to fight in Morocco (i.e., not in defense of their country. The class distinction and wealth between rich and poor was enormous. That was one of the reasons my grandfather left Spain for the US.

Laspra refers to San Martín de Laspra, atop the cliff overlooking Salinas, near Avilés. The church, with its ventana preromanica, beautiful altars and octagonal bell tower, is adjacent to the cemetery. Some of my ancestors and other relatives are buried there.

Return to “Immigrant Stories - Historias inmigrantes”