Asturian Cave Art

People, history, places, resources, & more.<br>
El pueblo, historia, lugares, recursos, & más.

Moderators: mariamatoyos, Moderators

Manuell Alvarez

Asturian Cave Art

Post by Manuell Alvarez »

Before the Asturian language was written down, early man was painting art work on the walls of caves that were important to them. Art is a language of its own that communicates and expresses the very soul of the artist and tells a story in a visual form. I am grateful that these caves in Asturias have been declared World Heritage Sites and are being preserved.
I have enjoyed many hours of looking at the paintings on the internet. Should I ever visit Asturias and the birth place of my father, these caves will be on my itinerary; although, in my old age, I sometimes have trouble being in confined spaces. Flying in an airplane would be traumatic too!
Speaking about caves, my late father once mentioned that his parents, my grandparents hid out in one of the many caves in the Asturian mountains to escape the fighting during the Civil War. My grandfather was blind and could not participate in the fighting. I suspect that there are many more caves with art treasures like Cuevas de Bustillo and El Pindal waiting to be discovered.
JosefK

Post by JosefK »

Manuell Alvareez wrote:Before the Asturian language was written down, early man was painting art work on the walls of caves that were important to them. Art is a language of its own that communicates and expresses the very soul of the artist and tells a story in a visual form. I am grateful that these caves in Asturias have been declared World Heritage Sites and are being preserved.
Cave art is so interesting. I would love to learn more about why they did the drawings.
Last edited by JosefK on Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:27 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Jasm

Post by Jasm »

Return to “About Asturias - Sobre Asturies”