Familia Verdin, Artime, Ovies, Menendez, Lopez, Ruiz, Mieres

Researching our ancestors in Asturias & America.<br>
Investigando nuestros antepasados en Asturias y America

Moderators: svgev, Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

Sweeney

Familia Verdin, Artime, Ovies, Menendez, Lopez, Ruiz, Mieres

Post by Sweeney »

I am searching for information on the ancestors of my Grandparents Donato Artime(z) (b. 1888)and Florentina Verdin (b. 1891) of Salinas, Oviedo Spain. They came to America in 1913. Donato's parents were Francisco Artime and Amalia Menendez. Florentina's parents were Guillermo Verdin and Maria Artime. My grandmother told me her parents owned a resort hotel/tavern on the coast. She also told me her father was Mayor of the town they lived in (I assume it was the town of her birth, Salinas). She had also told me her Grandmother was named Theresa Lopez.

Donato and Florentina married in Salinas in 1913. Donato may have lived in Aviles, Spain. The Ellis Island ship records list him as residing in that town. Donato first came to America in 1906. He returned to Spain and came back to America in 1910. He returned to Spain again to get married in 1913 and then brought his bride to America.

They lived in Cherryvale, Kansas at first. Then they moved to Missouri. By 1920 they were living in the town of Simpson, Harrison County, West Virginia where Donato worked in a Chemical Works Plant. By 1923 they moved to Donora, PA where Donato worked in a Zinc Factory.

During WWII Donato was diagnosed with severe asthma. He was told to he should move to a less industrial area. They moved to San Diego where he worked as a gardener on the Naval Base.

I would appreciate any assistance in researching my family. Thanks!

-------------------
trans. Art

Busco la información sobre los antepasados de mis abuelos Donato Artime(z) (nacido 1888) y Florentina Verdin (nacido 1891) de Salinas, Oviedo España. Ellos vinieron a América en 1913. Los padres de Donato eran Francisco Artime y Amalia Menendez. Los padres de Florentina eran Guillermo Verdin y María Artime. Mi abuela me dijo que sus padres poseyeron un hotel de balneario / la taberna sobre la costa. Ella también me dijo que su padre era el Alcalde de la ciudad que ellos vivieron en (asumo esto era la ciudad de su nacimiento, Salinas). Ella también me había dicho que su Abuela fue llamada Theresa López.

Donato y Florentina estaban casado en Salinas en 1913. Donato puede haber vivido en Aviles, España. Los registros de barco de Isla Ellis lo catalogan como el residir en aquella ciudad. Donato primero vino a América en 1906. Él volvió a España y volvió a América en 1910. Él volvió a España otra vez para casarse en 1913 y luego trajo a su novia a América.

Ellos vivieron en Cherryvale, Kansas al principio. Entonces ellos se movieron a Missouri. Hacia 1920 ellos vivían en la ciudad de Simpson [es un districto, hay que leer los postes abajo], el condado de Harrison, Virginia Occidental donde Donato trabajó en una Planta [fabrica] de Sustancias Químicas. Hacia 1923 ellos se movieron a Donora, PA donde Donato trabajó en una Fábrica de Zinc.

Durante Donato WWII fue diagnosticado con el asma severa. Le dijeron a él debería moverse a un área menos industrial. Ellos se movieron a San Diego donde él trabajó como un jardinero sobre la Base Naval.

Yo apreciaría cualquier ayuda en el investigar mi familia. ¡Gracias!
Last edited by Sweeney on Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:34 am, edited 6 times in total.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Welcome, Sweeney!

I'm curious about your saying that Donato and Florentina lived in Simpson Harrison County.
They lived in Cherryvale, Kansas at first. Then they moved to Missouri. By 1920 they were living in the town of Simpson, Harrison County, West Virginia where Donato worked in a Chemical Works Plant. By 1923 they moved to Donora, PA where Donato worked in a Zinc Factory.
I don't know if there is a Simpson in Harrison County. I do see one in Taylor County, which is one county east of Harrison. It's about 2 miles east of Flemington on Rt 13 and maybe 15-20 miles from Clarksburg.

If Donato was involved in zinc, it could be he was living in Spelter, or possibly Shinnston (which sounds a little like "Simpson").

Suronda has a paper that talks about the history of the industrial site of the zinc smelting operation in Spelter. Early on it was called "Grasselli Chemical Company." Maybe this is the "chemical works plant" you were referring to?

--------

¡Bienvenida, Sweeney!

Soy curioso sobre lo que dices: que Donato y Florentina viveran en Simpson Harrison el Condado.

Ellos vivieron en Cherryvale, Kansas al principio. Entonces ellos se movieron a Missouri. Hacia 1920 ellos vivían en la ciudad de Simpson, Harrison el Condado, Virginia Occidental donde Donato trabajó en una Planta [fabrica] de Sustancias Químicas. Hacia 1923 ellos se movieron a Donora, PA donde Donato trabajó en una Fábrica de Zinc.
No sé(conozco) si hay un Simpson en el Condado Harrison. Yo realmente veo un en Taylor County, que es un condado aleste de Harrison. Esto es aproximadamente 2 millas aleste de Flemington en "Ruta 13" y tal vez 15-20 millas de Clarksburg.

Si Donato estuviera implicado [si trabajó] en el zinc, podría ser él vivía en Spelter, o posiblemente Shinnston (que suena un poco como "Simpson").

Suronda tiene un papel que habla de la historia del sitio industrial de la operación de fusión de zinc en Spelter. A principios lo llamaron "la Empresa Química de Grasselli". ¿Tal vez esto es "la Planta [fabrica] de Sustancias Químicas" a que usted se refería?
Last edited by Art on Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sweeney

Post by Sweeney »

I got the name Simpson from the 1920 census. It lists the City/Township as Simpson, the County as Harrison. I could have read it or wrote it down wrong from the census. I will go back and double check.

--------------------
trans. Art

Conseguí el nombre Simpson del censo 1920. Esto cataloga la Ciudad/Municipio como Simpson, el Condado como Harrison. Yo podría haberlo leído o lo anoté(escribí) mal del censo. Volveré y doblaré la comprobación.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

I'll have to go back and look at an older map my parents have of the WV counties. Many of the towns that were present in the early 1900s are no longer on maps, probably because so many people moved off the small farms that many of the small communities simply disappeared. I've heard that this migration was especially strong around the time of WWII.

Does anyone else know about Simpson in Harrison County?

------------

Tendré que volver y mirar un más viejo mapa mis padres tienen de los condados WV. Muchas de las ciudades que estaban presentes a principios de los años 1900 no aparecen en las mapas de hoy, probablemente porque tantas personas se marcharon las pequeñas granjas que muchas de las pequeñas comunidades simplemente desaparecieron. He oído que esta migración era sobre todo fuerte alrededor del tiempo de WWII.

¿Sabe alguien demás de Simpson en el Condado Harrison?
Last edited by Art on Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sweeney

Simpson

Post by Sweeney »

I went back and looked at the 1920 census. My grandparents were listed as living in the Simpson District. So it may not have been a town but a division of the county for Census purposes. I am new to genealogy, so I just assumed it was the name of the town.

--------------------
trans. Art

Volví y miré el censo 1920. Mis abuelos fueron catalogados como viviendo en el Distrito Simpson. Entonces esto no puede haber sido una ciudad, pero una división del condado para objetivos de Censo. Soy una principiante en la genealogía, entonces solamente(justo) asumí esto era el nombre de la ciudad.
Sweeney

Additional information on Florentina Verdin

Post by Sweeney »

According to Florentina, she was born in Oviedo, Spain, where her parents owned and operated a resort Hotel on the coast. She says her grandparents used to own machinery part factories in Belgium and Spain. But when there was a uprising in Spain and they lost their factories in that county (I am not up on my Spanish History, was there a revolution in the mid 1800s?).

She was the seventh youngest of 21 children born to Guillermo Verdin and Maria Artime. I interviewed my Grandmother in 1977 for a Junior High school family history report. At that time she said she could only remember the names of the following brothers and sisters: Josephina, Mary, William, Wilma, Maria, David, Frank, Paul, Blanche, Elivera, Olivia and Luz. Please be aware, when she was interviewed it was done through a translator who changed the names into english (I do not speak Spanish). Therefore, her brother Paul is most likely Pablo. The same goes for the rest of the names.

She married Donato Artime in Nov 1913. She then traveled to the USA with her husband. When they arrived to America, they changed their name to Artimez to avoid confusion. She was a housewife and Stay-at-home mother to her four children: Olivia, Donald, Florence and Margarita. Donato and Florentina moved their family to Kansas, Missouri, Donora, Pennsylvania and then San Diego, California. Donato Died in 1951 and Florentina died in 1978.

--------------------
trans. Art

Según Florentina, ella fue nacida en Oviedo, España, donde sus padres poseyeron y manejaron un hotel de balneario sobre la costa. Ella dice que sus abuelos solían poseer fábricas de parte de maquinaria en Bélgica y España. ¿Pero cuándo había un levantamiento en España y ellos perdieron sus fábricas en aquel condado (no estoy encima de sobre mi historia española, había allí una revolución a mediados de los años 1800?).

Ella era séptima la más jóven de 21 niños llevados Guillermo Verdin y María Artime. Entrevisté a mi abuela en 1977 para un informe de historia de familia de escuela secundaria inferior. En aquel tiempo ella dijo que ella sólo podría recordar los nombres de los hermanos siguientes y hermanas: Josephina, María, Guillermo, Wilma, María, David, Frank, Paul, Blanche, Elivera, Olivia y Luz. Por favor esté consciente, cuando ella fue entrevistado fue hecho por un traductor que cambió los nombres en el inglés (no hablo el español). Por lo tanto, su hermano Paul es Pablo más probable. El mismo va para el resto de los nombres.

Ella se casó con Donato Artime en noviembre de 1913. Ella entonces viajó a EE. UU con su marido. Cuando ellos llegaron a América, ellos cambiaron su nombre a Artimez para evitar la confusión. Ella era un ama de casa y la madre que trabaja en su casa a sus cuatro niños: Olivia, Donald, Florencia y Margarita. Donato y Florentina movieron su familia a Kansas, Missouri, Donora, Pensylvania y luego San Diego, California. Donato murió en 1951 y Florentina murió en 1978.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

I see now that there is a Simpson Creek running into the West Fork River between Spelter and Meadowbrook. It begins near Berryburg in Barbour County, runs past Galloway, into Taylor County, through Flemington (missing the town of Simpson). It then goes into Harrison, running through Bridgeport. This is probably the source of the district name.

Suronda, do you think your dad would check for us to see what towns are included in the Simpson district of Harrison County?

------------------------

Yo veo ahora que hay una Riochuela Simpson que entra corriendo en el Río Horcajo de Oeste entre Spelter y Meadowbrook. Comienza cerca de Berryburg en el Condado Barbour, carreras por delante Galloway, en Taylor County, por Flemington (fallando la ciudad de Simpson). Esto entonces entra en Harrison, atravesando corriendo Bridgeport. Esto es probablemente la fuente del nombre de distrito.

¿Suronda, piensa usted que su papá comprobaría para nosotros para ver qué ciudades son incluidas en el distrito Simpson de Condado Harrison?
Last edited by Art on Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Suronda
Co-Founder

Simpson District of Harrison County

Post by Suronda »

We finally get to the bottom of it!

Harrison County is made up of 10 districts: Sardis, Eagle, Clay, Tenmile, Coal, Clark, Simpson (made up of the towns of Alliance, Brown, Dola, Katy Lick, Olive, Rhinehart, Rosebud, Sardis, Wallace, and once upon a time it included the now "extinct" town of Brown's Mill), Union, Grant, and Elk.

As Sweeney said,
Living in Simpson District, Donato was pretty close to both the Grasselli Chemical plant in Anmoore (Clark District) as well as the one in Spelter (Coal District). The three districts border one another.

I found this info at a great site dedicated to Harrison County Genealogy . They've also included a nifty district map that makes it easy to view the relationship of various towns and districts.

Enjoy!

--------------------
trans. Art

¡Finalmente nos ponemos al inferior de ello!

Harrison el Condado está compuesto de 10 distritos: Sardis, el Águila, la Arcilla, Tenmile, el Carbón, Clark, Simpson (arreglado de las ciudades de Alianza, Marrón, Dola, Katy Lick, Aceituna, Rhinehart, el Capullo de rosa, Sardis, Wallace, y una vez esto incluyó el ahora la ciudad "extinta" del Molino de Brown), la Unión, la Subvención, y el Alce.

Como Sweeney dijo:
Ellos vivieron en Cherryvale, Kansas al principio. Entonces ellos se movieron a Missouri. Hacia 1920 ellos vivían en la ciudad de Simpson, Harrison el Condado, Virginia Occidental donde Donato trabajó en una Planta/Fabrica de Sustancia Química. Hacia 1923 ellos se movieron a Donora, PA donde Donato trabajó en una Fábrica de Zinc.
Viviendo en el Distrito Simpson, Donato era cerca de ambos la planta Grasselli Química en Anmoore (Clark District) así como el que en Spelter (el Distrito De carbón). Los tres distritos lindan el uno con el otro.

Encontré esta información en un gran sitio dedicado a la Genealogía del Condado de Harrison. Ellos también han incluido un mapa de distrito elegante que hace fácil para ver la relación de varias ciudades y distritos.

¡Disfrute!
Sweeney

update on my family search

Post by Sweeney »

I want to thank everybody who has helped me. I just want to add some information I just discovered. I was finally successful in finding a cousin in Asturias. Best of all, I have the good luck in contacting a cousin who was interested in his family history. He sent me this information:

My gg-grandparents were Juan Werdin (b. 1826 in Liega, Belgium) and Teresa Lopez from Sama de Grado, Asturias, Spain. The parents of Juan were Luis Werdin (b.1764) and Margarita Jaque, both from Liega, Belgium.

The son of Juan and Teresa is my great grandfather:Guillermo Verdin Lopez. The Werdin name had been translated into Verdin in Spain. The family kept Verdin as their surname.

In addition, the Priest from Parroquia de San Martin de Laspra kindly sent me transcripts of my grandparents' Baptismal records and Marriage certificate. From them I gathered the following information:

My Grandfather Donato Artime Menendez (b. 1888) was the son of Francisco Artime from San Martin de Podes and Amalia Menendez from Santa Maria de Lugo, Hanera. His Paternal grandparents were Miguel Artime and Florentina Ovies, both from San Martin de Podes-Gozon. His maternal grandparents were Federico Menendez and Josefa Ruiz (no place of birth given). His Godparents were Jose Artime and Florentina Artime.

Donato married his cousin Florentina Verdin Artime (b.1891) in 1913. Her father was Guillermo Verdin from Trubia and Maria Artime (it said she was "natural de esta parroquia", so I assume she is from Piedras Blancas where the church is located). Her paternal grandparents are Juan Luis Werdin from Belgium and Teresa Lopez from Sama de Grado. Her maternal grandparents are Miguel Artime and Florentina Ovies. Her Godparents were D. Efesiro Alvarez and Da Josefa Artime.

That is all the information I have so far. If anybody has any additional information on this family I would love to hear from you. I am interested in finding out the names of my grandparent's siblings. I would also like to find out more about the life of this family in Spain. THANKS! :D

--------------------
trans. Art

Quiero agradecer a cada uno que me ha ayudado. Solamente quiero añadir alguna información que solamente descubrí. Yo era finalmente acertado en el encuentro de un primo en Asturias. Mejor de todo, tengo la buena suerte en ponerme en contacto con un primo que estuvo interesado en su historia de familia. Él me envió esta información:

Mis tatarabuelos eran Juan Werdin (nació 1826 en Liega, Bélgica) y Teresa López de Sama de Grado, Asturias, España. Los padres de Juan eran Luis Werdin (nació 1764) y Margarita Jaque, ambos de Liega, Bélgica.

El hijo de Juan y Teresa es mi bisabuelo Verdin López :Guillermo. El nombre de Werdin había sido traducido en Verdin en España. La familia guardó(mantuvo) a Verdin como su apellido.

Además, el Sacerdote de Parroquia Martin de Laspra de San amablemente me envió las transcripciones de los registros Bautismales de mis abuelos y su partita matrimonial. De ellos junté la información siguiente:

Mi abuelo Donato Artime Menendez (nació 1888) era el hijo de Francisco Artime de Martin San de Vainas y Amalia Menendez de Santa Maria de Lugo, Hanera. Sus abuelos paternales eran Miguel Artime y Florentina Ovies, ambos de Martin San de Vainas-Gozon. Sus abuelos maternales eran Federico Menendez y Josefa Ruiz (ningún lugar de nacimiento dado). Sus Padrinos eran Jose Artime y Florentina Artime.

Donato se casó con su primo Florentina Verdin Artime (nació 1891) en 1913. Su padre era Guillermo Verdin de Trubia y María Artime (esto dijo que ella era " natural de esta parroquia ", entonces asumo que ella es de Piedras Blancas donde la iglesia es localizada). Sus abuelos paternales son Juan Luis Werdin de Bélgica y Teresa López de Sama de Grado. Sus abuelos maternales son Miguel Artime y Florentina Ovies. Sus Padrinos eran la D. Efesiro Alvarez y D. Josefa Artime.

Es toda la información que tengo hasta ahora. Si alguien tiene cualquier información adicional sobre esta familia yo gustaría tener noticias de usted. Estoy interesado en la averigución de los nombres de los hermanos de mi abuelo. También me gustaría averiguar más sobre la vida de esta familia en España. ¡GRACIAS!:D
Last edited by Sweeney on Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Donna
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Donna, it would be really interesting to know what the connection was between Belgium and Asturias. What led Juan Werdin (b. 1826 in Liega, Belgium) to meet an Asturiana and settle in Asturias?

--------------------

Donna, sería realmente interesante saber lo que la conexión estaba entre Bélgica y Asturias. ¿Qué llevó a Juan Werdin (nació 1826 en Liega, Bélgica) a encontrar una Asturiana y instalarse en Asturias?
Last edited by Art on Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sweeney

Why the Werdin's came to Spain

Post by Sweeney »

In the 70s my grandmother told me this story. She said her grandfather's family was from Belgium. They were a wealthy family that owned a machinery parts factory in Belgium and one in Mieres, Spain. Her grandfather took care of the factory in Belgium and his brother took care of the factory in Spain. When the brother died in Spain, my GG-grandfather moved from Belgium to Spain to oversee the operations at the Spanish factory. He was married with children. Once in Spain his wife became ill and died. He hired a nanny named Teresa Lopez of Asturias to care for his children. He eventually married Teresa and had more children, one of them being Guillermo, my great grandfather.

I have yet to confirm any of this information. But that is the story that has been handed down to me. I wrote it all down in the 70s. My grandmother was 85 years old when I interviewed her, so I cannot vouch for her memory.

--------------------
trans. Art

En los años 70s mi abuela me dijo esta historia. Ella dijo que la familia de su abuelo era de Bélgica. Ellos eran una familia rica que poseyó una maquinaria separa la fábrica en Bélgica y un en Mieres, España. Su abuelo tuvo cuidado de la fábrica en Bélgica y su hermano tuvo cuidado de la fábrica en España. Cuando el hermano muerto en España, mi tatarabuelo se movió de Bélgica a España para supervisar las operaciones en la fábrica española. Él estuvo casado con niños. Una vez en España su esposa se enfermó y murió. Él alquiló a una nana Teresa López llamada de Asturias para preocuparse para sus niños. Él eventualmente se casó con Teresa y tenía más niños, uno de ellos ser Guillermo, mi bisabuelo.

Aún tengo que confirmar cualquiera de esta información. Pero es la historia que ha sida transmitido a mí. Lo escribí todo abajo en los años 70s. Mi abuela tenía 85 años cuando la entrevisté, entonces no puedo atestiguarme de su memoria.
Donna
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

That's a wonderful story! You're lucky to have that much info, even if it isn't all certain.

I'm nearly clueless about my family beyond my grandparents, but I'm trying to learn more from my aunts and cousins.

How did you track down the cousin who helped you?

-----------

¡Esto es una historia maravillosa! Tienes la suerte para tener tanta de información, incluso si no es todo cierto.

Sé casi nada sobre mi familia más allá de mis abuelos, pero trato de aprender más de mis tías y primos.

¿Cómo encontraste tu al primo que le ayudó?
Last edited by Art on Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sweeney

How I found my cousin in Spain

Post by Sweeney »

This is the way I found my cousin. Using the internet I looked up the white page listings for Salinas, Castrillon, and Aviles, Spain. I searched for people who had the last name of Artime or Verdin. There were about 50. I wrote to about 12 of these people (via snail mail) telling them I was researching my family history in their town and could we possibly be related? I gave them my email and mailing address. Of the 12 I have received a response from two. One cousin is related to the Verdin family and one to the Artime family. Both were happy to hear from me and wanted to share information about our families.

I speak almost no spanish. I have been using the alta vista Bable Fish translator program found free on the internet. As long as you use very simple sentences, it works. I know enough spanish to know if something looks wrong. I rewrite the sentences until they look correct. I use the dictionary a lot. If I have to write a long letter, I ask my American cousin to translate for me, but for short responses, the computer program has been very helpful. :)

--------------------
trans. Art

Esto es el modo que encontré mi primo. La utilización del Internet busqué(visité) los listados de página blancos para Salinas, Castrillon, y Aviles, España. Busqué a la gente que tenía el apellido de Artime o Verdin. Había aproximadamente 50. Escribí a aproximadamente 12 de estas personas (vía el correo de caracol [correo normal]) la narración de ellos yo investigaba mi historia de familia en su ciudad y pregunté: ¿posiblemente podríamos nosotros ser relacionados? Les di mi correo electrónico y dirección postal. De los 12 he recibido una respuesta de dos. Un primo es relacionado con la familia Verdin y un a la familia Artime. Ambos eran feliz tener noticias de mí y quisieron compartir la información sobre nuestras familias.

No hablo casi ningun español. He estado usando "Bable Fish" de Altavista, el programa de traductor encontrado libre(gratis) sobre el Internet. Si se usa oraciones muy simples, esto functiona bastante bien. Sé bastante español para saber si algo pareca incorrecto. Vuelvo a escribir las oraciones hasta que ellos parezcan correctos. Uso el diccionario mucho. Si tengo que escribir una carta larga, pido a mi primo americano traducir para mí, pero para respuestas cortas, el programa del ordenador ha sido muy provechoso.
Donna
moni

ovies

Post by moni »

Conozco a una persona que se apellidan ovies. Ahora vive en gijon, asturias. Antes eran mis vecinos en noreña, en el centro de asturias.

--------------------
trans. Art

I know a person named Ovies. Now she lives in Gijón, Asturias. Before she was my neighbor in Noreña, in the center of Asturias.
Sweeney

Ovies

Post by Sweeney »

Is Ovies a common surname? If not, perhaps we are related. If you see your friend named Ovies, please ask him to look at what I wrote in this forum. I would like to hear from relatives from Spain. Thanks! :)

Now I will attempt to say this in Spanish. Please forgive my terrible spanish! Ahora procuraré decir esto en español. Perdone por favor mi español terrible.

¿Es Ovies un apellido común? Si no, quizás somos relacionados. Si usted ve a su amigo nombrado Ovies, puede usted por favor decirle mirar qué he escrito en este foro. Quisiera oír de parientes en España. ¡Grazias! :)
Donna

Return to “Genealogy - Genealogía”