The Market at Grado

People, history, places, resources, & more.<br>
El pueblo, historia, lugares, recursos, & más.

Moderators: mariamatoyos, Moderators

Jasm

Post by Jasm »

Manuell, your family did not use Vasco because the stations of Vasco in Grado were far away (Grado, Vega, Santa María de Grado), it was normal for them to go to Trubia, because in Trubia there was the North station that went to Oviedo, and there was the line with Gijón and Madrid, there was also the Vasco station in Trubia, the Vasco station in Oviedo was in Jovellanos street, even Gascona street passed over, today the stations are in one (Northern (Iberian width), Economic and Basque ( metric width) there only is a public railway (RENFE).
In Degree the Civil Registry begins in 1871, there are few data of the church because the front of the Civil War (1936-39) was in that area the famous "Monte de los pinos", the National Side for that area the biggest advance It was Vega de Peridiello.
Manuell Alvarez

Post by Manuell Alvarez »

Jasm, thanks again for your reply and additional helpful information. According to Google Earth Maps, Trubia would have been too far for my family to travel for riding the train.

I did not know that the Civil War reached the village of Vega de Peridiello. My father told me that my grandparents hid out in a cave in the mountains during the War. Before th War, my grandfather became blind and could not have shouldered a rifle. Further, he told me that the mercenaries hired to attack the Asturians burned the papers at the Church. Dad had a tutor and he and his brothers would go to the Church and read the family papers that were stored there.

Manuell
Manuell Alvarez

Question?

Post by Manuell Alvarez »

In the photograph, Calle del Mercado, there appears to be baskets/bushels of produce. Are these potatoes or apples? I cannot discern what is in the containers.

Manny
Bob

Post by Bob »

I enlarged the posted photo, but it is too coarse-grained to show the detail that would enable me to distinguish potatoes from apples.
Jasm

Post by Jasm »

Bob, they are potatoes

Return to “About Asturias - Sobre Asturies”