Molino at Vega de Peridiello

People, history, places, resources, & more.<br>
El pueblo, historia, lugares, recursos, & más.

Moderators: mariamatoyos, Moderators

Manuell Alvarez

Molino at Vega de Peridiello

Post by Manuell Alvarez »

The old water powered grain mill located outside of the village of Vega de Peridiello is still owned by my cousin, Angel. His father once owned and operated this mill. Uncle Bambino was the husband of my father's youngest sister, Rosalia. (Hopefully my spellings of their names are correct).

There are some parts of a mill on exhibit in the Museo Etnografico de Grado shown on the internet. I imagine that they are similar to the construction and design of the family's mill. I am not sure how long this mill was in operation and when it closed down. My cousin Juan told me about his family's mill.

My grandfather and other farmers in the area would have taken their grains to be ground into flour or feed for their cattle to this mill. Today, farmers use electrical mills and do their own grinding making water powered mills a tourist attraction or museum exhibit.

A lot of history and details have been lost over time. Memories also fade. Thank goodness that there are museums to preserve some of the artifacts from our past. I am resigned to visiting Asturias vicariously through the internet and the Forum.

Manny

Return to “About Asturias - Sobre Asturies”