Vikings in Asturias?

People, history, places, resources, & more.<br>
El pueblo, historia, lugares, recursos, & más.

Moderators: mariamatoyos, Moderators

Manuell Alvarez

Vikings in Asturias?

Post by Manuell Alvarez »

I have been reading several articles and viewing films on the internet concerning early contact between the Vikings and Northern Spain during the time period of the 8th to the 11th century. Some indicate that there was trade and also raids into Spain.

In March, 2014, there were Viking ship anchors reportedly washed up on the shores of Galicia after some storms. While there are claims that there exists written accounts of Viking raids into Spain, I have not seen or read them.

A study was being prepared in 2014, by Dr. Irene Garcia Losquinto of the University of Aberdeen's Center for Scandinavian Studies. This academic study may provide some answers to a question of Viking influence on our Asturian heritage.

It would help to have some DNA analysis also along with the archeological record. Some of the researchers believe that the blue eyes and light hair color of some Spanish people living in the north was inherited from the Vikings.

There may have been some Viking settlements in the north along with artifacts that may show a connection to Asturias.

Manny
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Hello, Manny, I asked about Viking heritage in Asturias years ago, It struck me as likely, too, but I don't have even as much info as you have written to support the idea.

I remember either Bob or Carlos seeming to dismiss the possibility, but I may be remembering incorrectly. Perhaps Bob will comment on this again and clarify my memory!
Manuell Alvarez

Hello Art,

I had not seen your past inquiry into the possibility of Viking connections. Perhaps, my posting should be added to yours. Hopefully, there are some independent studies that verify the 2014 evidence and claims of Viking presence in Northern Spain, particularly, Asturias.

What has been found, like the Viking anchors, is very compelling to me. That is not the complete story. I believe that Asturians having Scandinavian DNA would be very powerful facts for a definite connection that could not be contradicted. Likewise, peoples in Scandinavian countries having the R1b Celtic genes would be very convincing.

The Universities in Asturias may have current information that would be very beneficial to our study and inquiry.

Manny
Manuell Alvarez

Update: Written Account of Vikings?

In reading some passages of the Asturian Chronicles, a series of historical texts written in Oviedo toward the end of the 9th century, the writer/s refer to several Viking raids in Asturias around the year 844 and then again in 858-859.
The texts refer to these raiders as magicians or north men. Evidently, some of the ships were reported burned off the coast of Galicia and that may account for the anchors found washed up on the beaches.
Indalecio Fernandez

Post by Indalecio Fernandez »

http://quevuelenaltolosdados.blogspot.c ... o-de.html4
Incursiones vikingas sobre el Reino de Asturias
La primera incursión: año 844 Entre el 31 de julio y el 1 de agosto del año 844 más de 100 naves vikingas con rumbo hacia el sur peninsular fueron avistadas en la playa de San Lorenzo (Gijón).Tras un intento de desembarco los nórdicos fueron expulsados de la bahía de Gijón por las tropas de Ramiro
Segunda oleada, 858-861 En tiempos de Ordoño I, sucesor de Ramiro I, los vikingos volvieron a atacar el Norte de la Península.
http://hispania-vikinga.blogspot.com/20 ... llero.html
https://www.tabernadebrottor.com/viking ... ro-candaz/
El 31 de julio del año 844, según las crónicas, un tremendo contingente vikingo formado por 115 embarcaciones (150 según algunos investigadores) y unos 5000 guerreros tocaron tierras asturianas. Al parecer habían llegado allí después de verse desplazados de su ruta original desde Bayona por una tormenta. Probablemente tenían la intención de ir saqueando la costa mientras se dirigían a las ricas ciudades andalusíes del sur de la Península.
La leyenda de Cudillero
Dice la leyenda, bastante fundada, que sus habitantes son descendientes de los vikingos, que encontraron en la escarpada costa asturiana refugio para sus naves y una base desde la que operar.
https://www.elcomercio.es/gijon/vikingo ... -ntvo.html
El 31 de julio o el 1 de agosto del año 844 atracaron en la playa de San Lorenzo. Estuvieron unos días y Ramiro I se encargó de expulsarlos
Hacia el año 858 regresaron. Esta vez «liderados por el legendario Björn, uno de los hijos del rey Ragnar Lodbrok. Después de secuestrar al jefe de Pamplona, irían parando por toda la costa asturiana hasta el Cabo Peñas. Allí estuvieron algunos días atracados porque en la época era muy complicarlo doblar el cabo. Había que esperar a que vientos y corrientes fueran favorables

Viking raids on the Kingdom of Asteria
The first Viking raid: took place between July 31 and August 1 of 844, with more than 100 Viking ships heading south to the Iberian peninsula were spotted on the beach of San Lorenzo (Gijón) .The Norsemen attempted to land but were repulsed from the bay by Ramiro's troops
A second wave of invasion came in,858-861 during the reign of Ramiro I’s successor, Ordoño I, when the Vikings returned to again attack the north of the Peninsula. On July 31, 844, according to the chronicles, a huge contingent of Vikings, 115 vessels (150 according to some researchers) and about 5,000 warriors reached Asturian lands. Apparently they had been driven there by a storm that turned them away from their intended route to Bayonne. They probably intended to plunder the coast as they made their way to the rich Andalusian cities of the southern Peninsula.

The legend of Cudillero
According to the legend, which has some foundation in fact, Cudillero’s inhabitants are descendants of Vikings, who found for their longboats and a base of operations on the rugged Asturian coast refuge for their ships and a base from which to conduct raids.

On July 31 or August 1 of the year 844, Vikings landed on the beach of San Lorenzo. They were there few days when Ramiro I took charge of expelling them. By the year 858 they returned. This time they were “led by the legendary Björn, one of the sons of King Ragnar Lodbrok. After kidnapping the head of Pamplona, they would stop along the Asturian coast to Cabo Peñas. They docked there for several because at the time it was very difficult to round the cape. They had to wait until winds and currents were favorable.”

Translation by Bob, Moderator
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Gracias a Indalecio por esa información. Y a Bob por traducirlo.

¿Viene de los genes nórdicos el pelo rubio y rojo en Asturias?

---------------------

Thanks to Indalecio for that information and to Bob for translating it.

Does at least some of the blonde and red hair in Asturias come from these Nordic genes?

Return to “About Asturias - Sobre Asturies”