Burial customs

People, history, places, resources, & more.<br>
El pueblo, historia, lugares, recursos, & más.

Moderators: mariamatoyos, Moderators

Bob

Burial customs

Post by Bob »

When I visited Asturias, I located the graves of some relatives in the cementerio de San Martín de Laspra. One section had been cordoned off with yellow tape, and a sign had been posted, which indicated that bones were being removed from the older graves to be reinterred in a common ossuary. In a different section of the older part of the cemetery, I noticed that the stone lid to one of the graves--really more like an underground vault--had been broken and that I could see into it. There were shelves, some with bones on them. I could identify a femur and a few other bones. The bones were quite scattered. I wondered why there was no trace of a coffin.

Are these common practices in Asturian cemeteries? Does anyone know where the common ossuary is located? I would be interested in learning about Asturian burial customs.

Bob Martinez
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

Bob, times have changed and now everybody "owns" at least one niche in the graveyard to bury their dead and leave them there forever, but there were times when people were too poor to buy their own grave, so the Parrish buried them free of charge in a regular grave in the ground, but after a time (no less than 7 years), their bones were removed and taken to the ossuary to leave those graves free for others. That system worked for centuries, so the graveyards stayed small and didn't take up scarce farmland.
Haven't you ever wondered why our graveyards are small and full of niches? Well, when people's economies began improving they wanted to own their graves, but the ancient churchyards were too small so the solution was to build niches.
------------------------------------------------
Bob, los tiempos han cambiado y ahora todo el mundo tiene al menos un nicho propio en el cementerio para enterrar a sus muertos y dejarlos allí para siempre, pero hubo tiempos en que la gente era demasiado pobre para tener sepultura propia, así que la parroquia los enterraba gratis en una tumba en la tierra, pero al cabo de un tiempo (no inferior a 7 años), sus restos se sacaban y se depositaban en el osario para dejar libres las tumbas parroquiales. Ese sistema funcionó durante siglos, de modo que los cementerios se mantenían pequeños y no ocupaban valiosa tierra de labranza.
¿Nunca te preguntaste por qué nuestros cementerios son pequeños y están llenos de nichos? Pues bien, cuando la gente empezó a estar más desahogada querían tener las sepulturas en propiedad, pero los viejos cementerios eran demasiado pequeños, así que hubo que recurrir a la construcción de nichos.

Terechu
jomaguca

Post by jomaguca »

Bob, bueno en el cementerio de San Martín de Laspra,estoy hablando de la parte antigua del cementerio,hace poco había una cinta advirtiendo a los familiares ,qué debían retirar los restos para dar paso a nuevas sepúlturas (,porqué los muertos estaban enterrados en tierra ),qué por cierto ya están construidas ,pero sí tienes alguna duda solo tienes qué ponerte en contacto con el enterrador ó persona qué cuida del cementerio ,te digo esto porqué mis antepasados están enterrados allí en el panteón de la familia VERDÍN.Las personas son enterradas en el ataúd ,y hasta los cinco años no se puede enterrar a otra persona en el mismo panteón,es el tiempo establecido, al cabo de los cinco años sí muere otro familiar el enterrador coje los huesos en presencia del familiar y los guarda en el osario del panteón familiar .

Return to “About Asturias - Sobre Asturies”