Polémica Cultura Astur-Celta/Astur-Celtic Culture Discussio

Asturian cultural identity, Spanish nationality, & return to Asturias: legal, social, & personal aspects.<br>
Identidad cultural asturiana, nacionalidad española, y regreso a Asturias: cuestiones legales, sociales, y personales.

Moderator: Moderators

Terechu

Post by Terechu »

Art, I believe the origins of the bagpipe have been traced back to ancient Persia, from there it spread to Egypt, Assyria and Greece.
The city of Gijón has a fine little bagpipe museum (Museo de la Gaita) which includes very interesting specimen, at least one of them African.
Also, according to an Italian uncle of mine, bagpipes are found in both the Calabria region and in Naples.

The Germans have their "Dudelsack", and so on. In short, I believe it's about as international as an instrument can get.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Art, creo que está demostrados que los orígines de la gaita se remontan a la antigua Persia, desde donde pasó a Egipto, Asiria y Grecia.
El Ayuntamiento de Gijón tiene un excelente pequeño museo de la gaita, que incluye algunos ejemplares muy interesantes, al menos uno de ellos africano.
Y según un tío mío italiano, las gaitas también existen tanto en la región de Calabria como en Nápoles.
Los alemanes tienen su "Dudelsack", etc. En fin, creo que es un instrumento de lo más internacional.

Saludos
Terechu
Mouguias

Post by Mouguias »

Well, at last a thorough study about "Celtic Origins on the Atlantic Facade of Europe". The ultimate conclusion is, apparently, that Celts didn`t come from Central Europe to France and the British Isles. On the contrary, we all people from Western Europe share a common ancestry which hasn`t shifted much in the last 10 000 years. See the final conclusion of the study:

>>These multiple genetic marker systems indicate a shared ancestry throughout the Atlantic zone, from northern Iberia to western Scandinavia, that dates back to the end of the last Ice Age.

http://dienekes.blogspot.com/2004/08/ce ... de-of.html
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

Por fin!!! Gracias Mouguías! Sobre este tema ya había puesto yo un post en contestación a otro sobre el supuesto celtismo de los asturianos y los pueblos del Arco Atlántico, que transcribo a continuación:
---------------------------------------------
At last!!! Thank you, Mouguías! I already posted on this topic in reply to another one concerning the alleged Celtic origin of Asturians and other peoples of the Atlantic Rim, which I transcribe below:
Terechu wrote:Si estuviérais un poco al día, sabríais que los británicos (galeses principalmente) han estado haciendo mapas genéticos basados estrictamente en pruebas de ADN y según los ultimísimos estudios, ninguno de los llamados pueblos celtas tiene una sola gota sangre celta.
Los celtas, con capital en Hallstatt (hoy Austria), como bien dice Belarmu, vivieron principalmente en Centroeuropa y en el valle del Danubio. De hecho un museo etnográfico cualquiera en Alemania tiene más restos arqueológicos celtas que toda España junta, y los alemanes no van de celtas por la vida.
Que luego hayan migrado a otras partes, de acuerdo. De hecho Numancia fue un asentamiento celta fundado por celtas de verdad (el único en España) pero los romanos los mataron a todos o los llevaron como esclavos a Roma.

Los ahora llamados pueblos celtas únicamente hablan una lengua de origen celta, que debió ser una lengua franca para el comercio, pero no hubo una llegada masiva de celtas ni a Irlanda ni a ninguna parte. Que los pueblos atlánticos estamos geneticamente emparentados, por supuesto, pero por ser los últimos proto-europeos. Los atlánticos ya estábamos aquí antes de que llegaran los celtas, los romanos, los suevos, los alanos y los visigodos.

No puedo resumir toda la historia en cuatro líneas, pero dejaros de tonterías racistas, que aquí los únicos purasangres que hay son los asturcones.

-------------------------------------------
If you guys were a little more up-to-date, you would know that the Brits (Welch mainly) have been making genetic maps based strictly on DNA tests and according to the latest studies, none of the so-called Celtic peoples have a single drop of Celtic blood.

The Celts, with capital city in Hallstatt (today’s Austria), like Belarmu says, lived mainly in Central Europe and the Danube valley. In fact any ethonographic museum anywhere in Germany has more archeological findings than all of Spain together, and the Germans don’t go about saying they’re Celts.
Of course they migrated to other parts. In fact Numancia was a Celtic settlement, founded by genuine Celts (the only one in Spain), but the Romans killed them all or took them to Rome as slaves.

The now called Celtic peoples only speak a Celtic language, which must have been a trade language, but there was no massive arrival of Celts either in Ireland or elsewhere. Of course the Atlantic peoples are genetically related, but only because we are the last Proto-Europeans. The Atlantic people were here before the arrival of Celts, Romans, Sueves, Alans and West Goths.

I can’t possibly summarize history in four lines, but stop that racist nonsense, because the only thoroughbreds here are the Asturcon ponies.

Saludos
Terechu
Bob

Post by Bob »

I'll try to track down the original research report when I return to work in a week or two, but based on the web source, there are several things that are worth keeping in mind. First, the modern day central European populations are not necessarily descended primarily from those that were present in the same area a few thousand years ago. Second, some Celtic populations may have migrated more or less en masse, not merely as a small subset of a larger population from which they were drawn. Third, central European tribes that had Celtic culture and languages may not have been particularly closely related in the genetic sense. Fourth, Celtic culture was not necessarily spread in conjunction with genes. Relatively few people could have a major cultural influence. Fifth, we are the products of our genes, our cultures, and the various possibilities of interactions between them. Finally, over time all human populations that have come in contact with one another have interbred, sometimes peacefully and sometimes by force. Gene frequencies tend to change in a clinal fashion with geography.

A comparative study of mtDNA, Y chromosomes, and autosomal genes can tell us interesting things about our genetic origins, but it cannot tell us who we are in the cultural sense.

Bob Martinez
Mouguias

Post by Mouguias »

Terechu
I don`t know why, maybe I already had read your post when you first wrote it, maybe I missed it, perhaps I didn`t manage to understand it fully, the fact is, now that I see it, I agree with much of it.
I think after some years of research, and after genetics has lost its mistery and has been used repeatedly as a tool for historians, I believe it is quite established that you are quite right, that is, that people from the Atlantic coast of the continent are the heirs of a racial strain that has remained the same since the Ice retreated thousands of years ago.
However, I think these discoveries support the claims of "celtic-maniacs" in Asturias. After all, these people (and I think I am one of them) don`t try to retrieve the inheritance of REAL celts.
In spite that they are supposedly the descendants of Hallstatt and La Tene celts, nobody invites Germans, Italians or Hungarians to Celtic festivals; indeed I think we all know it is plain impossible to connect archeology, folk culture and ancient migrations in a theory that explains all of our inheritance. To me, it is enough to prove that, just as we thought, there is "something" which links the Isles, Brittany, Western France and the Cantabrian Coast. In my view, the label "Celt" as applied to modern nations is a valid one, just as long as we accept that there is not any simple nor straight connection between such things as, on one hand, the ancient Gauls of Panonia, the Montefortino-type helmets, the Gundestrup cauldron, the druids that gathered in Drunemeton, Galatia (today Turkey), and on the other hand, the "changeling" folk tales in Ireland, Brittany and Asturias. The label "celt" is simply an appealing, short one, that reflects a real vicinity. It would be too long and boring to write "Festival of traditional cultures from the peoples around the Atlantic Arc, in Lorient" instead of "Celtic Festival of Lorient". The basic idea is, I guess, "hey, in Ireland and Brittany they speak a Celtic language; folklore and myths can be at times related to ancient Gaulish religion, so let`s say we are all celts". Quite a simple thing, uh? But I heard once, for example, that Welsh (and therefore Cornish and Breton) have a Celtic lexicon, but not-so-Celtic grammar and structure. That is to say, even language in the Arc is delusive. I don`t know much on the matter, but I would love to see a thorough investigation on the possible connections between Welsh and the other archaical language in the Arc, Basque language.
Things are never simple.
Bob
I think you are basically right, that is, there is not necessarily any relation between genetics and culture. Nevertheless, as a man who has studied the folklore of the Atlantic rim, I have to say this genetic research quite confirms what I expected. If I had been asked to bet, before these surveys were released, I would say the peoples in the Atlantic rim were tightly united in a quite remote past, then got relatively apart along the centuries. For instance, it is easy to find legends in Asturias and in Irish medieval manuscripts that evolved from a common archetype, at some point earlier than 1000 years, but it is difficult to locate anything, song, tale of whatever, that has arrived here after the 15th century from any Gaelic-speaking country. There is only one, ONLY ONE lay from the Arthurian cycle in Asturian oral memory.
Last edited by Mouguias on Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Una pregunta capciosa, aunque sólo sea en bien de la clarificación conceptual: ¿Podeis decirme QUÉ entendeis por UN CELTA? (Me refiero a los históricos, los de hace 2000 años, no los llamados actualmente "Países Celtas"). :?:

---------------
translated by Art

A trick question, though only in the interest of conceptual clarification: Could you tell me WHAT you mean by "A CELT"? [or... what you understand the word "Celt" to mean.] (I refer to the historical ones, those of 2000 years ago, not those nowadays called "Celtic Countries")." :?:
Mouguias

Post by Mouguias »

Sorry for my former post, I wrote it in haste and was quite confusing. Now I have just edited it.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Thanks, Mougais!

The full 10-page article -- with maps, citations, etc. -- can be read here:
http://www.geocities.com/vetinarilord/celt.pdf

-----------

¡Gracias, Mougais!

El artículo detallado -- con mapas, citas, etc. -- se puede leer aqui:
http://www.geocities.com/vetinarilord/celt.pdf
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

Great article, Art! It's an excellent, DNA-substantiated summary of archaeologists have been saying for decades.
During the many excavations lead in the 80's and 90's by one of Spain's leading archaeologists, Prof. Carmen Fernández Ochoa, (Gijón's Roman wall, the Roman baths, the Campa Torres settlement, etc.) it was already clear that no Celtic objects would be found. There just weren't any.

Unfortunately too many people get their notions from reading "Asterix and Obelix" comics (just a manner of speaking :lol:) and certain beliefs are difficult to root out.
If the population of the Atlantic rim is not Celtic, then we should not call ourselves Celts. Just as we do not call ourselves Hawaiians or Saxons.
And most of all, we should not use the ethnicity factor to despise other Spaniards, as it is too often done.
---------------------------------------------------
Gran artículo, Art. Es un excelente resumen basado en muestras de ADN de lo que los arqueólogos han estado diciendo durante décadas.
Durante las excavaciones dirigidas en los años 80 y 90 por una de los príncipales arqueólogos españoles, la profesora Carmen Fernández Ochoa (la muralla romana y las termas de Gijón, el castro de la Campa Torres, etc.) ya estaba claro que no encontrarían objetos celtas. Sencillamente porque no los había.

Por desgracia las nociones históricas de mucha gente provienen de leer "Asterix y Obelix" (sólo una manera de hablar :lol:) y algunas creencias son difíciles de erradicar.

Si la población del arco atlántico no es celta, no deberíamos llamarnos así, como tampoco nos llamamos hawaianos o sajones. Y sobre todo, no deberíamos utilizar el factor étnico para despreciar a otros españoles, como se hace con tanta frecuencia.

Saludos
Terechu
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Bien, voy a plantear la misma pregunta de otra forma. ¿Cuálos son los genes anglosajones, los que hacen que la gente hable inglés? ¿Existe un haplotipo que determine la religión islámica, o la lengua sioux? ¿Cuál es el marcador del ADN que determina la civilización capitalista? ¿Y cuál es el índice cefálico católico? ¿Y el grupo sanguíneo luterano?

Por favor, a ver si alguien aclara qué cosa es un celta histórico, y luego nos ponemos a averiguar dónde se pueden detectar sus huellas pasadas o presentes. Si no lo hacemos así, toda la discusión está viciada desde el comienzo.

----------------
translated by Art

Well, then, I'll raise the same question in another form. Which are the Anglo-Saxon genes, those that make people speak English? Is there a haplotype that makes people Islamic, or makes them speak the Sioux language? Which is the DNA marker that determines the capitalist civilization? And which is the Catholic cephalic index? And [can we identify] Lutheran blood?

Please, let's see if someone can clarify what a historical Celt is, and then we'll get to work verifying where we can detected his/her past or present footprints. If we do not do it like this, the whole discussion is flawed from the beginning.
Mouguias

Post by Mouguias »

Por resumirlo un poco:
La definicion de "Celta" segun los arqueologos que menciona Terechu, los que excavaron La Campa Torres, es sencillisima: sostienen que la cultura celta es la de Hallstatt y La Tene, muy facil de reconocer en el tipo de armamento, ceramica y decoracion en general. Se desarrollo en la Edad del Hierro europea, entre los siglos VII-I antes de Cristo aproximadamente. La identificacion entre la cultura de La Tene y la etiqueta de "Celta" proviene de que los antiguos galos, supuestos arquetipos de lo celta, coinciden en las excavaciones de Francia, Italia y Hungria con la cultura de La Tene. Por tanto, dondequiera que aparezcan broches o jarrones de estilo lateniense, "hubo celtas", en cualquier otro sitio, no.
Evidentemente se trata de una identificacion arbitraria, tan arbitraria al menos como la de los festivales de "musica celta" donde participa Asturias. No hay ninguna ley de la naturaleza que relacione la ceramica con el idioma, de manera que pudo haber pueblos que hablasen lenguas celtas pero no fabricasen objetos latenienses: y viceversa. En otras palabras, Terechu, pueden matarse a excavar en la Campa Torres, que no van a aportar ninguna prueba definitiva a este debate.
Los arqueologos, sencillamente, tienden a reducir la historia a un catalogo de antiguallas, y desdenan las otras fuentes de conocimiento historico. Ejemplos
-En Irlanda apenas se han encontrado restos latenienses, no digamos en Escocia: sin embargo en ambos paises se hablan lenguas celtas: Como llegaron alli?
-Se supone que los galos son los celtas, y los celtas los galos: sin embargo los autores romanos insistian, que tontos, en llamar "celtici", o sea "celtas" a los habitantes de la desembocadura del Guadiana, y a los de la Meseta oriental. Tampoco llaman (que yo sepa) "galos" ni "celtas" a los britanos, a pesar de que la cultura de ambos paises era muy similar, y que hubo un gran trasiego migratorio del continente a las Islas.
- Es evidente que en el N. de la Peninsula Iberica (incluyendo Asturias) no hay un sustrato de La Tene, y apenas nada que pueda llamarse hallstatico. Sin embargo si sabemos que muchos rasgos culturales eran afines a la cultura celta: los nombres de las personas, de los lugares y de las tribus son a menudo de origen celta; muchos dioses son semejantes a los de los galos; algunos ritos funerarios y ciertas costumbres guerreras eran identicas tambien, a ambos lados de los Pirineos.
-Los estudios geneticos, ahora, demuestran que apenas ha habido grandes movimientos de poblacion hacia el occidente de Europa en los ultimos diez mil anos. Sabemos ahora, tambien, que hay un estrecho parentesco entre pueblos "celtas" como los irlandeses y los galeses, y otros "no celtas" como los vascos y (supuestamente) los asturianos. Como se explica eso? Si no hubo migraciones, Como llego la "celticidad" a Irlanda o a Bretana? Cuando y como se diferenciaron culturalmente los vascos de los galeses?
En otras palabras, esos arqueologos "desmitificadores" se nos pasaron de listos, me parece a mi. Deberian ir elaborando una teoria un poco mas sofisticada que la arqueologia de 1950, y conjugar los restos materiales con la linguistica y las fuentes clasicas.
Terechu, por favor, podrias citarme un ejemplo en el que un asturiano haya despreciado a los espanoles por carecer de una hipotetica herencia celta? No se, me basta un madrileno apaleado, un andaluz cubierto de escupitajos, alguien que haya sido discriminado a la hora de conseguir un empleo, cualquier cosa.
En todo caso, si existiese algun asturiano que se refugiara en un bobo orgullo celtico, Podria ser que ese orgullo naciese del desden, la ignorancia y, en definitiva, el desprecio de los espanoles hacia Asturias, su historia y su cultura? Tiene algo de raro que intentemos defendernos, con cualquier argumento y herramienta que encontremos, contra el poder avasallador de los medios de comunicacion espanoles?
De todas maneras, la arqueologia no tiene nada que ver con la identidad de los asturianos modernos: tampoco tendria mayor importancia si descubriesen, de repente, un inmenso deposito de objetos latenienses en mitad de Asturias. Despues de dos mil anos, no seria extrano que las afinidades culturales entre los pueblos "celtas" se hubiesen desvanecido. Lo que celebran hoy dia los festivales intercelticos es un parentesco cultural VIVO, actual.
Por cierto, los arqueologos no han encontrado ningun enterramiento de carro en Asturias, pero si han descubierto algunas cosas interesantes:
-En los cimientos de las murallas de La Campa Torres se encontro, por ejemplo, una mandibula humana, y un craneo a las puertas del Chao Samartin. Es muy probable que se trate de una costumbre celta, el culto a la cabeza: se ofrecia la cabeza de una victima para aplacar a los dioses del subsuelo, perturbados por la excavacion del poblado.
-Asturias no recibio la influencia de La Tene, pero en epocas anteriores si que hubo una relacion muy intensa con los pueblos que llegarian, con el tiempo, a ser celtas. Hasta el siglo VIII antes de Cristo, puede decirse que Irlanda, Gran Bretana, el oeste de Francia y la Cornisa Cantabrica compartian una cultura comun: a partir de ese sustrato, que nuestros antepasados compartian, nacieron las culturas celtas.
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

Mouguías, en realidad no me apetece nada entrar en este tema, porque todos tenemos nuestras incongruencias, pero podría pasarme el día contándote ejemplos del desprecio por otros españoles (y extranjeros) y tú lo sabes. Sin ir más lejos, léete el mensaje de Rolobo

Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 2:23 pm Post subject: ASTURIANOS CELTAS
QUE LOS DESCENDIENTES DE ASTURIANOS NO OLVIDEN QUE LOS ASTURIANOS SOMOS UN PUEBLO CELTA...HAY LEYENDAS IRLANDESAS QUE DICEN QUE LOS CELTAS IRLANDESES VENIAN DEL NORTE DE ESPAÑA. DEBERIAMOS LUCHAR PARA QUE LOS POCOS PUEBLOS CELTAS DE EUROPA QUE QUEDAN PUROS LUCHEMOS POR NUESTRA CULTURA..ASTURIAS CELTA

y creo que esta frase es tuya:

“Terechu, tu protestas que las bandas de gaitas son ajenas a nuestra cultura, y tienes razon. Yo digo que las bandas de gaitas, y la insistencia en la herencia celta de Asturias, son una reaccion frente al imperialismo cultural de Espana en Asturias. Si "ellos", los espanoles y sus lacayos en Asturias, nos quieren vestir de faralaes, nosotros nos pondremos kilt y sombrero hongo, solo por llevar la contraria. Si ellos nos hablan de su "duende" y su "grasia", nosotros hablaremos de la niebla y las xanas.”

No sé cuántos años tienes y si has vivido algo de esto, pero no hace tanto que los cabezas rapadas tenían a toda Asturias llena de pintadas racistas con cruces celtas.. Hubo un año (creo que fue hacia 1990) en que nos marchamos de la famosa “Noche Celta” de las fiestas de San Mateo antes de que empezara la música, porque allí no había más que skinheads borrachos con cruces celtas hasta en el cielo la boca. En fin...sin comentarios.

Por lo demás, si la arqueología y las pruebas de ADN no demuestran nada, pues entonces viva la Pepa y llamémonos celtas, y que los bereberes se llamen alsacianos y que los vascos se llamen croatas – qué más da.

De todos modos, como sabes inglés, te recomiendo el artículo que indica Art. Creo que se entiende bien, aunque es muy técnico, y es muy interesante.
---------------------------------------------------------

Mouguías, I don’t really feel like getting into this, because we all have our little incongruencies, but I could spend all day giving you examples of ways in which other Spaniards (and foreigners) are looked down upon and you know it. For instance read Rolobo’s message:

- quote Rolobo –

and I believe this sentence is yours:

- quote Mouguías –

I don’t know how old you are and whether you lived through any of this, but it wasn’t that long ago that skinheads had all Asturias plastered with racist Celtic-cross graffiti. One year (I believe it was around 1990) we even left the famous “Celtic Night” of Oviedo’s San Mateo fair before the music started, because there were nothing but drunk skinheads sporting Celtic crosses all over. So ....no comments.

Also, if archaeology and DNA mapping don’t prove anything, then, what the heck, let’s call ourselves Celts and let the Berbers call themselves Alsatians and the Basques Croatians and so on – who cares?

At any rate, as you speak English, I would recommend the article Art indicated, which is not to hard to understand, although pretty technical, and certainly very interesting.
Berodia

Post by Berodia »

Hablar de razas, o de pureza racial, que si somos celtas o no, es un tanto pueril en mi opinión además de peligroso. Desgraciadamente, ciertos cerebros de "boneheads" no necesitan más para montar un pollo. Quizá, los puntos comunes en la cultura de los pueblos del arco atlántico sean originarios de poblaciones anteriores a los celtas.
Esto me recuerda un poco a la Alemania nazi cuando se decían arios, y a mí, los arios me suena como un pueblo indoeuropeo por la zona de Irán e India.
Supongo que este gusto por lo celta en Asturias sea una reacción a un cierto menosprecio de las autoridades españolas o asturianas de partidos nacionales hacia lo asturiano.
Voy a intentar leer el artículo, pero a ser en inglés, me costará un poco.

Muy interesante lo que comentáis, ¡seguid así!

Un saludo
Mouguias

Post by Mouguias »

Terechu
I guess you are kidding when you compare my posts with Neo-Nazi brainless boneheads. I have re-read the one you cite and I don`t find I said in it anything that might be found offensive for any ethnic group, nation, minority or whatever. By the way, I still believe what I wrote up to the last word. I don`t see any horde of Asturian nazis chasing defenceless singers of Flamenco, but rather the contrary: I find an almighty Spanish showbiz industry, along with patriotic propaganda, which are transforming Asturias into a cheap parody of Andalusia. Certainly you were unlucky to find neo-nazis in a folk concert, Celtic folk is quite a leftie world. I`ve been to a couple of festivals and found only rastafari, leftist anti-globalization cool guys or else just common people (like myself). No nazis in sight.
I have printed and read the study that I linked, thank you. DNA research has shown that no big migration has affected the Atlantic Arc for eons, and archeology proves that the Atlantic Arc was in tight contact until the 8th century before Christ. Now historians must develop a theory that takes the former into account…and explain also data from Roman writers, linguistics and anthropologists. Easy, isn`t it?
As to the “risk” of talking about these topics, I am afraid stupidity and bigotry can appear anywhere. I have found people who didn`t hesitate to insult and threat in the name of Spanish patriotical myths: people who regard it compulsory to love bullfights and think the only sea around our peninsula is the Mediterranean one. And woe to the one who disagrees!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Terechu
Supongo que estas de broma al comparar mis intervenciones con los cabezas rapadas neonazis descerebrados. He releido el que citas y no veo que dijese en el nada que pudiese ofender a ningun grupo etnico, nacion, minoria ni nada. A proposito, aun creo en lo que escribi hasta la ultima palabra. No veo ninguna horda de nazis asturianos persiguiendo a indefensos cantantes de flamenco, mas bien lo contrario: encuentro una todopoderosa industria del entretenimiento espanola, junto con propaganda patriotica, que estan transformando Asturias en una parodia barata de Andalucia. Ciertamente tuviste mala suerte de encontrar neonazis en un concierto folk, la musica celta es un mundillo bastante izquierdista. He estado en un par de festivales y solo encontre chicos guais rastas, rojillos antiglobalizacion, o bien gente normal (como yo). Nada de nazis.
Ya imprimi y lei el estudio que enlace a este foro, gracias. La investigacion del ADN ha mostrado que ninguna gran migracion ha afectado al Arco Atlantico desde hace siglos, y la arqueologia prueba que el Arco estuvo en estrecho contacto hasta el siglo VIII antes de Cristo. Ahora los historiadores deben desarrollar una teoria que tenga en cuenta lo anterior…y explique los datos de los autores romanos, los linguistas y los antropologos. Facil, no?
Respecto al “riesgo” de hablar de estos temas, me temo que la estupidez y el fanatismo pueden aparecer en cualquier parte. He encontrado gente que no dudo en insultar y amenazar en nombre de los mitos patrioticos espanoles: gente que considera obligatorio amar las corridas de toros y que piensa que el unico mar que bana nuestra peninsula es el Mediterraneo. Y al que no este de acuerdo, palo.
Bob

Post by Bob »

There are no genes that determine whether or not one will speak English (none of my ancestors did two or three generations back) or any other language , and there are no genes for adhering to Islam or for any other cultural trait. There are, however, genes that affect certain cultural traits, such as genes that in mutated form interfere with the normal acquisition of language (any language), etc.

In most cases, populations differ by how frequent various alleles of different genes may be, not by the presence or absence of such alleles. Over time, factors such as migration, genetic drift and founder effect can change allele frequencies in a variety of ways.

What does happen is that genes and culture tend to travel together as peoples migrate and intermarry, although language and other aspects of culture can also spread by simple learning. The interesting question to me is not whether all "Celts" and "Celtic speakers" (however we wish to define them) have a common genetic origin, but what factors, genetic (such as migration of populations that carried their language and genes with them) and purely cultural alike, resulted in the spread of Celtic languages and other common cultural factors.

In any event, we should all keep in mind that (1) from a biological point of view there is no such thing as a pure race, (2) if we go back far enough in time we are all related to one another, (3) the farther back in time we go the less certain we can be of our ancestry.

Return to “Identity, Nation, Return - Identidad, país, vuelta”