Politics Forum Guidelines

Rational discussion of "hot" issues that affect Asturias, the US, etc.<br>
Discusión racional de temas acalorados que afectan a Asturias, EE.UU., etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Bob

Politics Forum Guidelines

Post by Bob »

Members of the Asturian American Migration forum live in many different countries in Europe, South America, North America and elsewhere. While we all share many common interests, we are immersed in many different cultures. We post messages in English, Castellano, Asturian (and occasionally in other languages). We speak and read anywhere from one to a half dozen or more or more different languages. As a result of our cultural, linguistic and even generational differences, we cannot know precisely how the wording of our posts will affect others. What is friendly banter in the context of one culture or language may be an inadvertent insult in another context. Art, Suronda and Bob are all native speakers of English. While we read castellano well, we are less certain of our writing skills, and even less sure of our ability to follow the subtleties of connotation and implication, although we are always eager to improve our skills. Electronic posts can pose even more difficulties, since they lack intonation and non-verbal cues.

The Politics Forum is intended to promote rational political discussion of issues that affect Asturias, the US, and other countries. It is, in a sense, an experiment, and we ask you help in making it a place to exchange views with others in a way that unites us as Asturians and Asturian Americans. The intent is to stimulate discussions that can unite us through airing differing points of view, and to encourage democracy by providing opportunities for reasonable people to disagree with each other in reasonable ways. If our political discussions polarize and divide us, the experiment will have failed.

Most of us are not offended by our friends and relatives expressing opinions that are different from our own, but almost anyone can be hurt by offensive manners. We ask that you adhere to the following guidelines:

1) Please confine all overtly political discussion to the Politics Forum. We will move threads from other areas to the Politics Forum as it seems appropriate.

2) Personal attacks, rudeness and "flaming" are not appropriate, and will be deleted. It is perfectly acceptable to disagree sharply with the ideas of other members, but not to attack the members themselves.

3) The best topics for discussion are likely to be those that are of interest to members on both sides of the Atlantic.

4) Feedback about the Politics Forum is always welcome, and should be posted in the Feedback Forum.

5) If you feel insulted by what another member has written, or if you are uncertain about the tone or intended meaning of another member's post, please write directly to the member in private email or a personal message. In the forum itself, please stick to the issues under discussion, not the personality or intent of a member.

6) Try to resolve any conflicts in private. Please do not address another member's intent or motivation in the public areas of the forum. If you have an issue that cannot be resolved in private, feel free to contact Art, Suronda or Bob.

7) Posts that do no conform to announced guidelines may be removed, in whole or in part, without warning, although we will write to you to explain our action.

Bob Martinez

----------------------------------------------------
Traducción Terechu

Los miembros del Foro de Migración Astur-Americana viven en muchos países distintos de Europa, Sudamérica, Norteamérica y demás. Aunque tenemos muchos intereses en común, estamos inmersos en muchas culturas diferentes. Enviamos mensajes en inglés, castellano, asturiano (y ocasionalmente en otros idiomas). Hablamos y leemos entre una y media docena de lenguas distintas. Como consecuencia de nuestras diferencias culturales, lingüísticas e incluso generacionales, no podemos saber con exactitud cómo podría afectar a los demás el lenguaje de nuestros mensajes. Lo que pueden ser chanzas amistosas en el contexto de una cultura o lengua, podrían ser ofensivas sin querer en otro.
La lengua materna de Art, Suronda y Bob es el inglés. Aunque leemos bien el castellano, no estamos tan seguros en cuanto a nuestro nivel de escritura, y menos aún de nuestra capacidad para comprender sus sutilezas o connotaciones e implicaciones, aunque siempre estamos dispuestos a mejorar nuestros conocimientos. Los mensajes electrónicos plantean más dificultades si cabe, dada su falta de entonación y de claves no-verbales.

La política de este foro es fomentar la discusión política racional sobre temas que afecten a Asturias, a los Estados Unidos o a otros países. En cierta manera es un experimento, y os rogamos que colaboréis en convertirlo en un lugar donde se intercambien puntos de vista con otras personas, de manera que nos una como asturianos y astur-americanos. La intención es estimular discusiones que nos puedan unir, aun expresando distintos puntos de vista, y alentar la democracia dando a la gente razonable una oportunidad para que discrepen unos de otros de forma racional. Si nuestras discusiones políticas nos polarizan y nos dividen, entonces el experimento habrá fracasado.

La mayoría de nosotros no se ofende cuando nuestros amigos y parientes expresan opiniones distintas de las nuestras, en cambio a casi todos nos ofenden los malos modales. Rogamos, pues, que observéis las siguientes directrices:

1) Por favor limitad todas las discusiones claramente políticas al foro político. Trasladaremos hilos de otras secciones al foro político cuando nos parezca procedente.

2) Los ataques personales, los malos modales y la provocación están fuera de lugar y serán eliminados. Es perfectamente aceptable discrepar radicalmente de la ideas de otros miembros del foro, pero no el atacar a dichos miembros.

3) Los mejores temas de discusión serán con toda probabilidad aquellos que interesen a los miembros de ambos lados del Atlántico.

4) Los comentarios acerca del foro político siempre serán bienvenidos y deberán insertarse en la sección "Feedback".

5) Si te ofende lo que otro miembro haya escrito, o si no estás seguro del tono o la intención del mensaje de otro miembro, te rogamos que le escribas directamente a esa persona mediante email o mensaje personal. En el foro propiamente dicho rogamos que os atengáis a los temas de discusión y no a la personalidad o intenciones de otros socios.

6) Intentad resolver los conflictos en privado. No hagáis una interpretación de las intenciones o motivación de otro miembro en las secciones públicas del foro. Si tenéis algún asunto que no se pueda resolver en privado, no dudéis en dirigiros a Art, Suronda o Bob.

7) Los mensajes que no sean conformes a las directrices expuestas podrían ser eliminados, parcial o totalmente y sin previo aviso, aunque os comunicaríamos nuestros motivos para dicha acción por escrito.

Bob Martínez
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

I have a question about one of the interpretations of these guidelines, which says that it's okay to insult a public figure who is not a member of the forum. It seems to me that insults of any sort do not promote rational discussion.

I don't like the idea of censoring the forum, but it may be worthwhile for us to each consider this as we write.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

---------------------------

Tengo una pregunta sobre una de las interpretaciones de estas pautas, que dice que se puede insultar una figura pública que no es un miembro del foro. Me parece que los insultos de cualquier clase no promueven la discusión racional.

No me gusta la idea de censurar el foro, pero es posiblimente una buena idea que lo consideramos en escribir.

¿Que piensas sobre esto?
Barbara Alonso Novellino

Post by Barbara Alonso Novellino »

Art,

I most certainly have thoughts on this issue.

If you look over some of the past posts you will read comments by Xose, Terechu and some others that out and out insulted President Bush. Xose was absolutely brutal in his comments. The things they said about him were, in my view, insulting and awful. I know that it was said that Politicians were not members of the Forum...but the members who support them are.

I fully understand the guidelines of this Forum, however, you have to realize that when someone you support is insulted...its time for retaliation which leads to some very heated comments. We even had a posting using offensive language...so where will it all end.

I wrote about this very thing in a post I made months ago. So, if we can free ourselves up from the mean attacks it might make for better discussions. I am not asking for censorship but some good sense in some of the postiings.

BAN
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

I see four possible solutions. I'll list them from most coercive to least.

When I evaluate the options, I try to keep this in mind that it's difficult or impossible to change someone else, so our best possibility for success is when we decide to change ourselves.

The options I see so far:

1. We could censure insults and profanities. Frankly, I wouldn't want that responsibility or that kind of infringement on my speech. The advantage, though, would be that only the "thought police" would have to think about it.

2. It's become clear to me that the Asturians view "tacos, cursing, and obscene language very different from the way many of the Americans view it. They [Asturians] sincerely don't understand our "sensitivity" to it and find it hard to believe that we could take this language seriously. For them it's entertaining and expressive, I think.

I'm guessing the same thing happens in political discussion in Spain. Politicians call each other names. The leader of the Partido Popular, Mariano Rajoy Brey, recently called the president of the Spanish government, Zapatero, a "bobo solemne" [a solemn fool]. This wouldn't be acceptable in the US, but it seems to be acceptable behavior in Spain.

So, should we ask the Asturians to behave like Americans?

And then should we also ask the Asturians about which behaviors by Americans really irritate them, so we can change in order to make them more comfortable?

We all know how difficult it is to learn each other's language. Learning the culture is also difficult and much more subtle. I can guarantee that such an idea would be unpopular and too difficult to succeed.

3. Since the complaints have so far all been from the Americans, could we Americans learn about the Asturian cultural norms and adapt our reactions to account for those differences?

Of course, those Asturians who care about communicating the more effectively might also decide to change their behavior when they learn that many Americans respond poorly to profanity, tacos, and insults.

4. I read an article recently which noted that politics is a bloody contact sport. We've seen that in US politics in the Right's rage against Clinton and the Left's attempt to unseat Bush. Maybe a simple solution is to admit that politics is simply not "polite"?

I'm tending toward #3 or #4.

What do you all think? Are there other options?

--------------------------

Veo cuatro soluciones posibles. Los catalogaré del más coactivo a lo menos.

Cuando evalúo las opciones, trato de mantener en mente que es difícil o imposible cambiar a otra personna, entonces la opcion con más posibilidades consiste en cambiar nosotros mismos.

Las opciones que veo hasta ahora:

1. Podríamos censura insultos y blasfemias. Sinceramente, no querría la responsabilidad y no querría esta clase de introvención en mi discurso. La ventaja, sin embargo, sería que solamente "la policía de pensamiento" tendría que pensar en ello.

2. Ya está claro a mí que los asturianos vean la maldición, tacos, y la lengua obscena en un modo muy diferente que muchos de los americanos. Ellos [asturianos] sinceramente no entienden nuestra "sensibilidad" frente a ello y lo encuentran difícil de creer que podríamos tomar a esta lenguaje en serio. Para ellos es divertido y expresivo, creo.

Adivino que la misma cosa pasa en la discusión política en España. Los políticos llaman el uno al otro nombres. El líder del Partido Popular, Mariano Rajoy Brey, recientemente llamó al presidente del gobierno español, Zapatero, un "bobo solemne". Esto no sería aceptable en EU, pero parece para ser comportamiento aceptable en España.

¿Entonces, deberíamos pedir a los asturianos comportarse como Americanos?

¿Y luego también deberíamos preguntar de los asturianos sobre cuales comportamientos por los americanos realmente los irritan, para que podemos cambiarnos para hacerlos más cómodos?

Sabemos la dificultad de aprender la lengua de cada uno. El estudio de la cultura es también difícil y mucho más sutil. Puedo garantizar que tal idea sería impopular y demasiado difícil. No tendrá éxito.

3. Ya que las quejas hasta ahora han sido todas de los americanos, ¿podríamos los americanos aprender sobre las normas culturales asturianas y podríamos adaptar nuestras reacciones para considerar aquellas diferencias?

Desde luego, aquellos asturianos que se preocupan por hacer su comunicación lo más eficaz también podrían decidir cambiar su comportamiento cuando aprenden que muchos americanos responden mal a la blasfemia, tacos, e insultos.

4. Leí un artículo recientemente que notó que la política es un deporte de contacto sangriento. Lo hemos visto en la política estadounidense en la rabia de la Derecha contra Clinton y intento de la Izquierda derribar a Bush. ¿Tal vez una solución simple sea de admitir que la política simplemente no es "cortés"?

Me inclino a pensar como #3 o #4.

¿Qué pensáis todos? ¿Hay otras opciones?
Raquel M

Mi opinion....My opinion....

Post by Raquel M »

My humble opinion.
I believe that freedom of speech is very important. I understand that
sometimes it hurts to read or to listen to a person saying awful things
in reference to the things you respect and love. Yes, I can tell you
and all the Cubans in Miami that subscribes to the Miami Herald, the
most liberal newspaper you can find.....yes, it's liberal, it hurts to read
it sometimes or most of the times, but we live in a free society and we
must support the freedom of speech, so we buy the newspaper...
I believe the people have the right to express their views freely
if you don't like what a person says...just use the mouse and click it !
Happy 4th of July !!!!!!

Mi humilde opinion.
Yo creo que la libertad de expresion es muy importante. Yo comprendo que algunas veces duele leer o escuchar a una persona diciendo cosas
horribles en referencia a las cosas que uno respeta y ama.Si, yo le
puedo contar al igual que todos los Cubanos en Miami que estamos
subscritos al Miami Herald, el periodico mas liberal que se puede
encontrar...si, es liberal, duele leerlo a veces o la mayoria de las
veces, pero nosotros vivimos en una sociedad libre y nosotros tenemos
que apoyar la libertad de expresion, por eso compramos el periodico...
Yo creo que las personas tienen el derecho a expresar sus puntos de
vista libremente, si a usted no le gusta lo que la persona dice...solamente
use el raton y haga click !
Feliz 4 de Julio !!!!!

Return to “Political Discussion - Discusión política”