Hello from Rebecca Finley (y Ovies)

Tell us your story!<br>
¡Dinos tu historia!

Moderator: Moderators

RAFinley

Hello from Rebecca Finley (y Ovies)

Post by RAFinley »

Hello...I've already posted a few times in the Immigrant Stories/Moundsville topic, but here are the details of my family...as near as my mother can tell them.

My grandfather was Jose Luis Ovies (born in St. Luis, Missouri in 1906). His parents came to America from near Aviles. They were Jose Ovies de Vega (born in Las Chabolas in 1874) and Josefa ("Nina") Garcia y Garcia (born in Las Barzanas in 1880).

Jose's brother, Nicanor Ovies, and his wife, Brida, also came to America.

(It gets tricky, due to the similarity of names -- on both sides of the family...)

Jose's parents were Jose Ovies and Josefa Vega y Inclan. Josefa probably died in Indiana or West Virginia in the mid 1920's. They had another son, Nicanor Ovies, who also came to America. He had a wife named Brida, and several children...Josefina Ovies (Guardado) and Joe -- who later ran the Pepsi plant (owned by his father) in Moundsville, W. Virginia. My mother remembers meeting a relative named Carmina, but is unsure whether she was Josefina's sister or daughter. Josefina's son, Jose Guardado, was a very nice, gentle man who worked at the state penitentiary and may have flown her around in a plane.

Josefa (Garcia y Garcia) was the daughter of Nicolas Garcia and Maria Garcia. Maria died young. Natalia Garcia (a sister...either Josefa's or Nicolas's or Maria's -- sorry, Mom, I'm getting lost, here -- and also a nun, so a Sister ) left her convent to raise Josefa.

(While visiting Spain in 1972, my mother (Alice) met two groups of relatives. She met two "mysterious aunts" in Madrid -- in an apartment near the Prado Retiro -- whom she thinks were sisters of Jose Ovies de Vega. She also met her father's cousin, Angel Garcia, and two of his daughters in Asturias. He had been "Colonel Jefe" in the Guardia Civil and retired to Galicia. He took them to Covadonga and various rivers -- Angel was an avid fisherman.)

Back to Jose and "Nina" Ovies. They ran a tavern and boarding house in St. Louis, Missouri. Later, when he started working for Federated metals, they moved to Indiana. In the 1950's, they lived in a hacienda in Nueva Rosita, Coahuila, Mexico -- he was still working for Federated Metals. Nina eventually spent more of her time in San Antonio, Texas. Their daughter, Anita, lived there. Jose died in San Antonio in 1957. Nina died in 1963.

Their son, Joe (my grandfather) met and married Alice Rose Henry while attending university in Ohio. My mother (one of four children) says that they had dreams of travel, but the Depression...and then War...prevented that. He worked for Ford Motors, living in New Jersey and then Michigan.

Is this helpful to anyone? Does anything sound familiar?

I would really love to reconnect the family wherever possible -- my grandmother, Alice Ovies, had been communicating with Carmen Ovies, but I believe that got lost when Alice passed away a few years ago.

I'm going to be visiting Asturias (unfortunately, only very briefly) in October -- I'm a compulsive photographer and love to share the results. My mother has a few old photographs...as soon as I can (which isn't really very soon at all) I'll scan them and get them to the site.
lgarcia

Garcias in Las Barzenas

Post by lgarcia »

Barbara,

I realize that it's been a few years since you wrote your introduction but hopefully you'll read this note. I noticed that a photo you mentioned had "Las Barzenas" written on the back. Someone on the forum had written that this is a location within Asturias. This was also helpful to me because my paternal grandfather and great grandmother had indicated on paperwork that I found - that they were both born in Las Barzenas.

You and I have some of the same family names :D (not unusual) My great grandfather,Ulpiano Fernandez Menendez was born in Pillarno, Spain in 1878 and great grandmother, Virginia Garcia, was born in Las Barzenas (sp?) on March 1, 1884. They were the parents of my paternal grandfather, Celestino Fernandez Menendez Garcia and Manuel Fernandez Menendez Garcia. The family left Asturias and went to Cuba. Finally, they landed at Ellis Island on June 15, 1915 and lived the rest of their lives in and around Clarksburg (Spelter, Anmoore).

As a child, I was fortunate to live next door to my grandfather, Celestino Fernandez Menendez Garcia (he later took the name Tim F. Garcia.) We lived in Broadway...a neighborhood that is a short distance from Anmoore. In fact, I have memories as a child of being in Anmoore (my grandparents maintained rental properties there until 2007!). My grandmother would walk me to the local neighborhood store. She seemed so proud of me and wanted to introduce me to everyone. Of course, she was pleased to say that my name is Linda Garcia...how much more Spanish can you get?

So your mention of Las Barzenas prompted me to write this reply. I now live in Gainesville, Florida but occasionally visit Los Angeles. Would love to have an opportunity to meet you. Maybe we could share Garcia photos. Actually - there is an Angel Fernandez Garcia in my family tree...born 1901 and died October 21, 1944 but I have no other info.

Linda
KOakland

Ovies, Guardado?

Post by KOakland »

This is a reply from to the post by Rebecca Finley. I know it's an old post, but I just came across it today as I was looking up some of my family geneology on the web. I was shocked to recognize most of the names in your post. I am actually Carmina Oakland's (Guardado) granddaughter who lives in Moundsville, WV. She is Josefina's daughter, and they moved to Moundsville, WV after living in Terre Haute, IN. Her brother Joseph, who worked as a guard in the penitentiary, passed away two years ago. I remember her telling me about her parents, Jose and Josefina, as well as about her uncle Angel. I remember her mentioning her grandmother's surname, Ovies, as well as her maiden name, Vega. That's all I can remember for now, I would have to call her and ask her about any other details. Anyway, I think that would make us distant cousins (although I'm not sure how all of that works). I would enjoy getting in touch with you if you still check this forum.

-Karen Oakland
Barbara Alonso Novellino

Post by Barbara Alonso Novellino »

Hi Karen,

My Grandparents lived in Moundsville on Purdy Avenue. Adelino and Adelina Montes. My cousins still live in Moundsville. Their name is Montes.

My Aunt and Uncle Jose and Tomasa Vallina lived on Lafayette Avenue.

I was wondering if you knew of them.

Barbara Alonso Novellino
KOakland

Post by KOakland »

Barbara,

I was just talking to my grandmother and she said that her parents used to live next door to the Montes'. I don't know of them personally, I think one of my aunt's godparents are related to the family. From what I've been told, they were good friends.
Barbara Alonso Novellino

Hi Karen,

Could you ask your Grandmother the name of her parents. Also who your Aunt's Godparents parents where.

I would be interested in knowing who they are.

I know the name Ovies...they used to own the Pepsi Cola Bottling Plant in Moundsville. My Uncle Julius Montes worked for them at one time, driiving a truck. Also, my uncle Manuel Montes was also a guard at the prison.

On one side of my Grandparents Montes where the Garcia family. Anita and we called him Slim but I think his name was Jose. Their children where Anita, Joe (we caled Vandy) and Margie.

Thanks,

Barbara
margaret

Post by margaret »

Karen:

I just retired from the Marshall County Sheriff's Tax Office.
I believe I know your grandmother, Carmina, by waiting on her.
I am Margaret Montes Miller, my father being Manuel Montes.
He grew up on "The Farm ".
Barbara is my cousin, her mother is my father's sister.
My father also worked at the pepsi plant at one time, most spanish
men did, I think. Pepsi was and is our favorite drink.
I have been attempting family history now, and cannot believe the
strength of the Asturian people.
Margaret
mm
KOakland

Post by KOakland »

Barbara,

Sorry about the long wait, I've been a little under the weather. Anyway, my great-grandparents were Jose and Josephina Guardado. I can't remember the exact name my grandmother gave about my aunt's godparents but I think she said one of the last names was Glucich (or they might have been related to a family with the name Glucich), which is a familiar name here so they could've married into them. I don't know if that will ring any bells.
KOakland

Post by KOakland »

Margaret,

Thank you for the nice reply. It seems that Moundsville was once a haven for a lot of Asturian-Spaniards. And yes, my grandmother is pretty popular there, everyone seems to know her and she seems to know everyone. I've been trying to do the family history as well. I haven't had very much trouble with the Spanish side, especially since I've found this site. But the Lithuanian side of my family is proving to be difficult, being that everyone changed their names when they came to America. But still, I can't help but be amazed at what a sense of community there was (and still is) among the Asturians.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Part of the Asturian sense of community in the EEUU is that when one emigrated and found work, others and their families followed. My grandparents followed my greatgrandfather (I did not know this until a month or two ago), and their relatives and friends followed them - Kansas, St. Louis, Spelter (and surrounding area) and finally Niagara Falls. Others went to Donora, Canton and elsewhere. They lived close to one another (within a few blocks in Niagara Falls, and many on the same block of the same street), and supported one another no matter what happened. Times were hard and they became hard people in the sense that nothing could destroy their network until they died.

At the same time they were generous and loving and opened their homes to others outside of the Asturian community. Some of my father's best friend in Niagara Falls were Italian (actually Sicilian). He ate Sunday dinner at their house and they came to my grandparents house for Sunday dessert (my grandmother's pies were famous). Everyone had a nickname. Dad's friends were Goo-goo, Black Benny and the Mighty Kayam. Dad was actually Isaac, but everyone called him Jack throughout his life (after the boxer Jack Dempsey). In the last few year of his life he was called el león.

The connections among different immigrant ethnic communities is something that may warrant exploration in depth.
Barbara Alonso Novellino

I don't know if it is the same person...but, I have a cousin Jovita Menendez who married Tom Glusich in the 50's. Could these be the same.

Its so hard to know the last names of some of the people I knew as a child. I knew a Jose and Josefina but I don't remember their last name. Did Josefina sew? If its the same people...they lived on Lafayette Ave across from my Aunt Tomasa Vallina.

Carmina Ovies...I think that was her name. I knew her and her daughter Pacita (spelling). Pacita was a good friend of my cousin Jovita.

Its great finding people through here that I knew as a child.

Barbara
Barbara Alonso Novellino

Hi Karen,

My Mom is a few months away from 96...she now lives in a Nursing Home. I went to visit her today and asked her about Josefina and Jose Guardado. She does remember them and said they did live next to her. She remembers that they had a son Jose...and they called Sr Jose by a nickname...Yanez or something like that.

Barbara
RAFinley

Sounds like we're cousins to me, too

Post by RAFinley »

Hi Karen,

Sorry for the extreme delay -- I haven't checked this forum since I had to get rid of my old email address and website several years ago! But I happened upon your reply via Google. Since I've re-joined through my new email, I'm limited as to what I can do here and hope this manages to reach you. I hope all is well with you and look forward to finally making contact.

Rebecca Finley
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Welcome back, Rebecca!

Please don't create a new account when you can't get into the original one. That messes up a lot of things for you and makes my job harder. It's much easier for me to change your username or password or email address for you than it is for me to combine accounts.

In your case, Rebecca, I've added your old messages to your new account and deleted the old. But you won't receive emails when someone replies to the old messages and the count of your number of messages will probably not be updated correctly.

-------------------

¡Bienvenido de nuevo, Rebecca!

Por favor, no crees una cuenta nueva cuando no puedes entrar a la original. Estropea un montón de cosas para ti y hace mi trabajo más difícil. Es mucho más fácil para mí cambiar tu nombre de usuario o contraseña o dirección de correo electrónico que es combinar dos cuentas.

En tu caso, Rebecca, he agregado tus mensajes antiguos a tu nueva cuenta y he eliminado la cuenta original. Sin embargo, no recibirás mensajes de correo electrónico cuando alguien responda a los mensajes antiguos y el total de tu número de mensajes probablemente no se actualice correctamente.
RAFinley

Post by RAFinley »

Ah, thanks. I'd thought this would be easiest for everyone, since I'd lost track of all my info -- user name, password, email, etc. I should have known my name would have been enough! Apologies and, again, thanks.

Return to “Introduction of Members - Presentación de miembros”