Spanish Classical Music at Newport Festival

Group &amp; solo; voice, bagpipe, guitar, drum, etc.<br>
Banda y solo; voz, gaita, guitarra, tambor, etc.

Moderators: mariamatoyos, Chris, Moderators

Germán

Spanish Classical Music at Newport Festival

Post by Germán »

For those chamber music lovers in the New England area, I have seen that the Newport Music Festival will host 2 sessions next Thursday and Friday (July 15th and 16th) devoted to Spanish (and some Latin American) composers. The concerts take place in the magnificent Newport mansions. It seems an attractive setting though I am not sure if the acoustics there are so well fitted to please well educated ears (for better or worse I am afraid this is not a problem for me anyway...). The full program and other information is available here:
http://www.newportmusic.org

A sort of disclaimer: I am not related with the festival in any way nor do I feel qualified to judge the quality of its program. I am just attending for the first time. I have been in Newport before and I think this is a good excuse to come back and visit its "summer cottages". Luckily enough, I can get student tickets for $10. Regular prices are quite more expensive ($35-$45 for most of the concerts)

This is my first post here and I want to take the opportunity to congratulate the "parents" of this site on bringing this great community together and thank all the members for their contributions. I have learnt a lot and had a terrific time reading your posts.

Saludines de un avilesino

--------------------------------
Traducción libre:

Para los amantes de la música de cámara en la zona de Nueva Inglaterra, he visto que el Festival de Música de Newport incluye 2 sesiones el próximo jueves y viernes (15 y 16 de julio) dedicadas a compositores españoles (y algún latinoamericano). Los conciertos tienen lugar en las suntuosas mansiones de Newport. Parece un escenario atractivo aunque no sé si cuenta también con la acústica más apropiada para complacer a oídos refinados (para bien o para mal, me temo de todos modos que yo no tengo este problema...). El programa completo y más información está disponible aquí:
http://www.newportmusic.org

Una aclaración: no tengo relación alguna con el festival ni me siento cualificado para valorar la calidad del programa. Es la primera vez que asisto. Ya he estado alguna vez en Newport, y me parece que esta es una buena excusa para regresar y visitar las "casitas de veraneo". Afortunadamente, hay entradas de estudiante por 10 dólares. La admisión general es bastante más cara (entre 35 y 45 dólares para la mayoría de los conciertos).

Esta es mi primera intervención en el foro y quiero aprovechar la opurtunidad para felicitar a los "padres" de esta web por haber creado esta magnífica comunidad y agradecer a todos los miembros sus aportaciones. He aprendido un montón y "prestome pola vida" leer vuestros mensajes.

Saludines de un avilesino
Berodia

Post by Berodia »

Solo quiero comentar una curiosidad, ya que este "topic" va de música clasica española.
Todos conoceis la canción "Spanish Caravan" de The Doors.
¿Pero sabiais que la introducción de esa canción es el Asturias de Isaac Albeñiz?

------------
translated by Art

I only want to mention a curiosity, since this topic is about classical Spanish music.
You all know the Doors' song, "Spanish Caravan."
But did you know that the introduction to this song is "Asturias" by Isaac Albeñiz?
Germán

Post by Germán »

Gracias, Berodia, por el dato. Sí que es curioso. No tengo a mano el disco de los Doors ("Waiting For The Sun") para comprobar si se menciona el origen en los créditos de rigor. Pero he escuchado ambas piezas y no hay duda alguna.

Por cierto, "Asturias" no estaba incluida en el programa del concierto, pero me impresionó en cambio la poderosa interpretación de "Malagueña, Op. 165/3", también de Albéniz. Incluso el violonchelista, a pesar de ser israelí, se daba un aire a Antonio Banderas. :-) Formidable también el Concierto de Aranjuez de Rodrigo.

---------------------------

Thanks Berodia for the information. That's curious indeed. I don't have The Door's album ("Waiting For The Sun") at hand to check if they give proper credit. But I have listened to both pieces and there is no doubt about it.

By the way, "Asturias" was not included in the concert program, but I was impressed instead by the powerful performance of "Malagueña, Op. 165/3", also composed by Albéniz. Even the cellist, despite being Israeli, kind of resembled Antonio Banderas. :-) Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez was awesome as well.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Pues cuando tengais ocasión, no dejeis de escuchar el Capricho Español de Rimsky-Korsakov. Está basado en sendas piezas gallega y asturiana. En lo que nos toca a nosotros, se trata del fandangu punteau, que a pesar de la similitud del nombre no tiene nada que ver rítmicamente con los fandangos andaluces. ¿Y cómo llegaron esas melodías a oídos de un compositor ruso, os preguntareis? Pues resulta que Korsakov prestó servicio como marinero en la Armada Zarista, su navío al parecer hizo una escala en el puerto de Sevilla (hay quien dice que en Cádiz), y allí le pasaron las partituras. Curioso, ¿verdad?

Saludos :wink:

---------------
translated by Art

Well, when you have a chance, don't miss out on hearing the Capricho Español by Rimsky-Korsakov. It is based on Galician and Asturian pieces. As for that which refers to us, it's related to the Fandangu punteau which despite the similarity of the name has nothing to do rhythmically with the Andalucian fandangos. And how is it that a Russian composer came to hear these melodies? Well, it turns out that Korsakov served as a sailor in the Czar's Navy. His ship seems to have made a stop in the port of Sevilla (there are some who would say it was in Cádiz), and there these musical scores were passed along to him. Strange, isn't it?

Best wishes :wink:

Return to “Music - Música”