Miembros de "Asturias Celtic Society" en USA

Asturian cultural identity, Spanish nationality, & return to Asturias: legal, social, & personal aspects.<br>
Identidad cultural asturiana, nacionalidad española, y regreso a Asturias: cuestiones legales, sociales, y personales.

Moderator: Moderators

Fonzu

Miembros de "Asturias Celtic Society" en USA

Post by Fonzu »

Hola,

Después de haberme involucrado de alguna manera en algunos de los Festivales relacionados con la Cultura Celta en USA y de haber visto que los organizadores de tales eventos están muy interesados en saber de nosotros, de Asturias, quienes somos, por qué se toca la gaita en Asturias, por qué hay Castros, símbolos Celtas prácticamente iguales a los de ellos (Scotish, Irish, Bretons ...) En alguno de los Festivales como en el de el Potomac, hace años que tenemos reconocimiento y representación, el domingo pasado asistí por invitación de uno de los miembros de " The Clans of Scotland" www.clansofscotland.org a otro evento este es en Alexandria Virginia http://vascottishgames.org donde conocí entre otros al Chief Bryan Ginn, en fin el asunto es que me han pedido que asista a la próxima reunión que periódicamente celebran y les de una "Lecture" sobre nosotros.

Teniendo en cuenta lo anterior y que hay muchos eventos en este pais a lo largo del año de este estilo, estoy creando lo que se llama "Asturias Celtic Society" para de una manera oficial y por consiguiente con mas peso representar esa parte de nuestra cultura.

Hay muchas cosas que se pueden hacer, y sin duda es un proyecto interesante, para ello necesitamos gente que se quiera incorporar a Asturias Celtic Society, para participar de alguna manera, asistiendo a algun evento cerca de vosotros, creando y participando en una página web, creando y enviando un "newsletter" donde se informe de los avances y participaciones etc.....

Esto es una invitación para aquellos que se animen.

Me pueden contactar usando el enlace de email abajo.

Gracias y saludos

Alfonso

------------
translated by Art

Hello,

I have been involved in various ways with some of the festivals related to Celtic Culture in the USA. I've noticed that the organizers of such events are very interested in knowing about us, about Asturias, about who we are, why we play the bagpipe in Asturias, why Asturias has castros [Iron-Age settlements] and Celtic symbols almost the same as theirs (Scotish, Irish, Breton, etc.). In some of these festivals, like the Potomac Festival, for years we have had representation and recognition. Last Sunday, at the invitation of one of the members of "The Clans of Scotland" (www.clansofscotland.org ), I represented Asturias at another event, this one in Alexandria Virginia (http://www.vascottishgames.org), where I knew, among others, the Chief Bryan Ginn. As a result, they have asked me to be present at their next meeting to give a "lecture" on us [Asturias].

Bearing in mind what I've just written and that there are many events in this country throughout the year of this kind, I am creating what might be called the "Asturias Celtic Society" in order represent this part of our culture in an official manner, and thus with more weight.

There are many things that can be done, and undoubtedly it is an interesting project, for it we need people who want to join the Asturias Celtic Society and take part in some manner, such as: representing it at an event near you, creating and taking part in a Web page, creating and sending a "newsletter" which reports on our progress and participation in events, etc.

This is an invitation for those who might be interested.

Please contact me using the email link below.

Thanks and best wishes,
Alfonso
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Hello, Alfonso,

Reading your message, it occurred to me that this might be an unnecessarily narrow definition of the new group.

I don't think the Scottish or Breton groups are only interested in the Celtic aspects of their culture. There was a tent at the Potomac Fest dedicated to the Breton language, for example. Or one could argue that pipe bands are fairly recent history, maybe in the past few hundred years. And yet, those pipe bands are a large interest of the Scottish societies. But whether or not pipe bands are Celtic, they're an important part of their current culture.

So I'm wondering if it might make sense to start an "Asturian Society"--which has as a large part of its purpose educating about the Celtic aspects of the culture, but which goes beyond that, too, to deal with the language, the history, contemporary issues, etc.

Thanks for posting your suggestion. I'll be interested to see if anyone else is interested.

-------------

Hola, Alfonso,

Leyendo tu mensaje, me ocurrió que puede ser una definición innecesariamente estrecha del nuevo grupo.

No pienso que los grupos escoceses o bretones sólo están interesados en los aspectos celtas de sus culturas. Había una tienda en la Festival de Potomac dedicada a la lengua bretona, por ejemplo. O se podría argumentar que las bandas de gaita son de los siglos recientes. Y sin embargo, las sociedades escocesas tienen mucho interés en aquellas bandas de gaitas. Pero si realmente las bandas de gaita son celtas o no, son una aspecto muy importante de su cultura corriente.

Entonces me pregunto si pudiera tener sentido de comenzar "una Sociedad Asturiana" - que tiene como una gran parte de su objetivo de educar sobre los aspectos celtas de la cultura, pero que además trata con la lengua, la historia, cuestiones contemporáneas, etc.

Gracias para poner tu sugerencia. Me interesa si otras estén interesados.
Last edited by Art on Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Art, hará dos o tres meses, a raiz de una pequeña confrontación entre una nueva asociación de jóvenes emigrantes asturianos en Madrid con el viejo Centro Asturiano, salió la noticia en los medios de Asturies de que el Gobierno Asturiano iba a sopesar la posibilidad de modificar la llamada "Ley de Asturianía", para no limitar el reconocimiento oficial exclusivamente a los Centros Asturianos repartidos por el mundo. Quizás si creais una Asociación Asturiana en Estados Unidos logreis en el futuro el mismo reconocimiento oficial. Eso es importante de cara a todas las actividades que emprende el Gobierno Asturiano, como por ejemplo los Cursos de Asturianía, en el último de los cuales, durante este pasado mes de Julio, yo mismo fuí profesor de unos cuantos chicos y chicas llegados de todo el mundo.

En estos cursos se pone a los descendientes de antiguos emigrantes asturianos al corriente de todo el bagaje cultural e histórico que representan nuestras señas de identidad. Es decir, visitan todas las comarcas asturianas -la zona central, la oriental y la occidental-, se les enseñan los monumentos históricos, como los poblados celtas o el arte prerrománico, se les imparten clases de música tradicional -gaita, tambor-, bailes tradicionales, indumentaria asturiana, llingua asturiana, mitología -personajes mitológicos, cuentos y leyendas, etc-, etnografía -costumbres ancestrales-. Vamos, una buena panorámica general de lo que representa ser asturiano.

Deberíais ir pensándolo. :roll:

Saludinos. 8)

-------------
translated by Art

Art, about two or three months ago, immediately after a small confrontation between a new association of emigrant Asturian young people in Madrid with the old Asturian Center, the news went out in the Asturian media that the Asturian Government was going to weigh the possibility of modifying so called "Law of Asturianía," so as not to limit official recognition exclusively to the Asturian Centers which are located all around the world. Probably if you were to create an Asturian Association in the United States you might in the future be able to obtain the same official recognition. This would be important, given all the activities that the Asturian government offers, for example the Asturianía courses, which in the last one, during this last month of July, I myself was a teacher of a few boys and girls who came from all over the world.

In these courses, the descendants of former Asturian emigrants are brought up to speed on the whole cultural and historical baggage that represent the distinguishing marks [of our cultural identity]. That is to say, they visit all the Asturian regions (the central, oriental, and western zones). They're shown the historical monuments, along with the Celtic settlements and the Pre-Romanesque Art [mostly architecture]. They're given classes in traditional music (bagpipe and drum), traditional dances, Asturian apparel, the Asturian language and mythology (prominent mythological figures, stories and legends, etc.), and ethnography (ancient customs). Well, it's a good general overview of what it means to be an Asturian.

It would be well-worth your while to give this some thought. :roll:

Saludinos. 8)
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Carlos, no sabía que el gobierno estaba sopesando abrir recononcimiento oficial a otros grupos no alineado con los Centros Asturianos. Muy interesante. (Bueno, no es que no queremos alinearnos con los centros.) Gracias para darnos estas noticias. Por favor, dinos si algo cambia.

Algunos de los americanos han hablado de estos Cursos de Asturianiá. Nos interesa muchísimo. ¡Qué pena que no somos jovenes! Pero los que tienen jovenes pueden ser interesados en que sus ninos vayan.

-----------

Carlos, I didn't know that the government was considering opening official recognition to groups not aligned with the Centros Asturianos. Very interesting. (Well, it's not that we don't want to align ourselves with the centros.) Thanks for bringing us this news. Please let us know if anything changes.

Some of us have talked about these Classes in Asturiania. We're very interested in them. Too bad that we're not young! But those with children might be interested in having their kids go.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

I'd also like to explore how what you're suggesting would differ from the Asturian-American Migration Forum. Off the top of my head, I see several differences:
  1. AsturianUS.org is very much about making connections between Asturians and those of Asturian heritage who don't live in Asturias. Of course, most of the non-Asturians live in the US, but some are in Latin American and Europe, too.
  2. AsturianUS.org has been more focused on increasing our own awareness rather than the awareness of non-Asturians.
  3. Possibly most importantly, the group you're proposing seems to have as its main emphasis promoting Asturian culture by hosting booths at festivals, whereas our main focus has been on the Internet.
I'll be interested in hearing whether members think this could be part of AsturianUS.org's work or not. It would obviously add to our need for income, because participating in festivals is expensive.

------------

También me gustaría explorar como lo que sugieres se diferenciaría del Foro de Migración Asturiano-Americano. De la cima de mi cabeza, veo varias diferencias:
  1. AsturianUS.org tiene como su interés crear conexiones entre asturianos y aquellos de herencia asturiana que no vive en Asturias. Desde luego, la mayor parte de la nuestros socios non-asturianos viven en EU, pero otros viven en America Latina y en Europa también.
  2. AsturianUS.org ha sido más enfocado en aumentar nuestra propia conciencia más bien que la conciencia de los que no son asturianos.
  3. Posiblemente lo más importante, el grupo que Alfonso propone parece tener como su énfasis principal promovar la cultura asturiana por ofrecer cabinas en festivales, mientras que nuestro foco principal ha estado sobre la Internet.
Estaría interesado oír si otros miembros piensan que podría ser una parte del trabajo de AsturianUS.org o no. Claramente, añadiría a nuestra necesidad del ingreso, porque la participación en festivales es cara.
Last edited by Art on Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fonzu

Post by Fonzu »

La idea de que Asturies Society in USA esté reconocida por el Gob. del Principado no creo que aporte nada interesante a la Organización. Una vez que se involucra al Gob. ya estás sujeto a ellos a los gustos y exigencias de la administración en turno, y despues de haberte esforzado en conseguir algo cambia la Administración y hay que empezar de cero.

Hace unos meses escribí al Principado solicitando ayuda para uno de estos Festivales, -ni siquiera dinero, sino material, banderas, posters etc... y ni tan siquiera se molestaron en responder.

Asturias Society in USA ha de ser independiente, que funcione por sí sola.

Obviamente, trataré de tener la mejor relación posible con el gob. del Principado y si alguna vez nos echan una mano pues mejor, pero no podemos esperar ni depender de ellos.

En cuanto a la idea que propone Art , no sé si lo entendí bien de que fuera como una parte de Asturianus.org , pienso que también ha de ser independiente ya que los propósitos originales de ambos son distintos, de todas formas todos nos beneficiaríamos de tener cosas en común y una buena relación.

Alfonso

-------------
translated by Art

I do not believe that the idea that the Asturies Society in USA could be recognized by the gov't. of the Principality contributes anything interesting to the organization. As soon as you involve the gov't., you'll be subject to that administration's tastes and demands by turns, and after having strained to obtain something, the administration will change [according to the elections?] and it will be necessary to begin all over again.

A few months ago I wrote to the Principality requesting help for one of these Festivals - not even money, but material, flags, posters, etc. - and they didn't even bother to answer me.

Asturias Society in USA has to be independent, working by itself alone.

Obviously, I will try to have the best possible relationship with the gov't. of the Principality and if at some point in time they us give us a hand so much the better, but we can neither wait nor depend on them.

As for the idea that Art proposes - and I'm not sure if I understood it well -- to make [the Asturias Society] part of AsturianUs.org, I think that also it has to be independent since the original intentions from both are different. Anyway, we all would be of benefit by having things jointly and a good relationship.

Alfonso

Return to “Identity, Nation, Return - Identidad, país, vuelta”