Fish species and names

Recipes for fish, shellfish, etc.<br>
Recetas para pescados, mariscos, etc.

Moderators: almudena, Moderators

Bob

Fish species and names

Post by Bob »

When I visited Asturias, I was astounded by the wide variety of fish species that were available in the markets. If anyone has inormation about the translation of fish names (e.g., merluza = hake), or information about good gastronomic substitutes (the species that are merluza in Spain are not the same as the species that are hake in the US, although they are related), please post the information here.

--------------------------------
Transl. Terechu

Cuando estuve en Asturias, quedé sorprendido de la gran variedad de especies de pescado que había en los mercados. Si alguien sabe traducir los nombres de los pescados (por ejemplo merluza = hake), o tiene información sobre sustitutos gastronómicos (la especie que en España es merluza no es la misma especie que el "hake" en los EE.UU., aunque son de la misma familia), por favor indicarla aquí.
Bob

Post by Bob »

http://www.congelados-basilio.es/productos/index.htm has information on many species, with pictures recepies and name in asturianu, castellano and English.
Anuska

Post by Anuska »

Hola Bob:

Te copio y pego un enlace de un glosario multilingüe sobre pescados. Suelo utilizarlo cuando tengo alguna duda. Primero da el término español y después en inglés, portugués, francés y el nombre científico.

Otra forma de buscar el nombre de un pez puede ser: teclear en google el nombre del pez en cuestión e intentar conseguir el nombre científico, para intentar encontrar el nombre en inglés.

Saludos.

http://www.pesca2.com/diccionario/lista ... 1&letra=97
----------------------------------------------------------

Hi Bob,

I copy and paste the link to a multilingual glossary on fish. I sometimes use it when in doubt. It offers the Spanish term first and then the translation into English, Portuguese, French and its scientifc name.

You can also type in google the name of the fish to try finding its scientif name and then, use the scientific name to find its name in English.

Best regards,

Ana
Last edited by Anuska on Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Seafood - Mariscos”