Ana C. Pinto, archeologist

Write about your favorite Asturian<br>
Escriba de un asturiano favorito

Moderator: Moderators

Fonzu

Ana C. Pinto, archeologist

Post by Fonzu »

Ana Pinto, Asturian, Friend, Member of this forum, Piper, famous archaeologist and now recipient of the following Award..

Congratulations Ana, Puxa Asturies!

Alfonso

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE– NEW YORK—11/8/04
Wings announces
2005 WOMEN OF DISCOVERY AWARD WINNERS

Wings, a not-for-profit organization devoted to promoting scientific exploration and celebrating extraordinary women explorers will present the third annual Wings Women of Discovery Awards on Wednesday, March 2, 2005 from 5:30 to 9:00 P.M. at New York’s National Arts Club, 15 Gramercy Park South. The Wings Women of Discovery Awards are the first to recognize the contributions of women explorers who are pioneering discoveries on the frontiers of research and knowledge.
The awards will be given in five categories: Sea, Air and Space, Humanity, Lifetime Achievement, and the Leila Hadley Luce Award for Courage. Each awardee is chosen for her groundbreaking work achieved in one of those fields. The awardees of 2005 from North America, France, Germany, Spain and Sweden are:
SEA: Sue Hendrickson
Sue Hendrickson is an independent explorer who is searching for clues relating to ancient life. Depending on the time of year, she dives on ancient wrecks off the Philippine Islands and Cuba, and on the submerged ancient city of Herakleon in Egypt; hunts for fossil whales in the windswept deserts of Peru, and searches for dinosaurs in Wyoming. Hendrickson is best known for finding the largest Tyrannosaurus rex known that was named Sue in her honor, presently displayed at the Field Museum of Chicago. Hendrickson’s interests have also focused on amber and conch pearls that have been added to museum collections and included in the exhibits Pearls and Amber. Wings is honoring Hendrickson for her underwater marine archaeological discoveries. As the principal diver on ancient wrecks and sunken cities and with her work mapping the wrecks off the coast of Cuba Sue Hendrickson is uncovering a rich historical panorama.

AIR AND SPACE: Nathalie Cabrol
Nathalie Cabrol is a planetary geologist with the Search for Extra Terrestrial Intelligence (SETI) Institute. She works with NASA Ames Research Center analyzing images and data from the Mars mission launches for evidence of water to find out if Mars developed environments that could have been, or still could be, habitable by living organisms. She has led rover field experiments and helped to determine the landing sites for the latest Mars Expeditions. In trying for a better understanding of Martian environments, Cabrol has been leading the Licancabur Expeditions to the highest lake on Earth (5916 m or 19523 ft) on the boundary of Chile and Bolivia where the conditions are analogous to those of ancient Martian lakes: low oxygen, intense UV (ultraviolet) radiation, and the atmospheric pressure only 50 percent of what it is at sea level.

HUMANITY: Ana Pinto
Ana Cristina Pinto-Llona is a Spanish archaeologist who made an astonishing discovery in 2002 in a remote cave in Northern Spain. Her test excavations revealed an occupation sequence ranging from the Early Upper Paleolithic, to the Mousterian -- the first arrival of modern humans into Europe back to Neanderthals and probably further back to the time of homo erectus. Given the richness of finds and the depth of the stratigraphic sequence, she will be excavating and researching The Sopeña Archaeological Project for decades to come. She is currently Adjunct Professor and Research Scholar at the Institute of Human Origins at Arizona State University.

LEILA HADLEY LUCE AWARD FOR COURAGE: Sabriye Tenberken
Blind since she was 12 years old, Sabriye Tenberken studied Central Asian Studies at Bonn University where she mastered Mongolian, Chinese, and modern and classical Tibetan. Tenberken translated Tibetan into Braille and then traveled to Tibet where she established Tibet’s only school for the blind in Lhasa. Traveling on horseback throughout Tibet, looking for blind people to bring to her school, she realized how sightless children, because of their blindness, suffered from unhealthy living conditions. Teaching blind children how to read with Braille, Tenberken also teaches them how to climb in the Himalayas, and overcome the stigma of their disabilities. Sabriye Tenberken is the founder and director of Braille Without Borders.
LIFE TIME ACHIEVEMENT: Marianne Greenwood
Marianne Hederstrom Greenwood, born in the Far North of Sweden, moved to Stockholm just before World War II to study art. After the war she moved to Antibes where she became the in- house photographer for Picasso and many other artists. She went on to spend decades living with, photographing and writing about indigenous people in the Americas, the Pacific Islands, Papua (New Guinea), and parts of Asia. Her work is collected by several museums and her archive is housed both at the Etnographical Museum in Stockholm and at the Picasso Museum in Antibes. A gallery show of her photographs will be held at New York’s National Arts Club from February 27 to March 5, 2005. The exhibit will travel to Stockholm and to Nice.

Event Chairs : Suzi Zetkus and Myrella Triana

Press interviews with the Award Winners 10-12 March 2 National Arts Club, 15 Gramercy Park South, New York, NY 10003

Related Events:
Special Event : March 3, 9 am-1 P.M. Women Explorer Day
The New York Hall of Science, Flushing NY
Lectures by Award Winners: March 3, 2005 The Explorers Club 46 East 70th Street, New York, NY 10021 6-9 P.M.
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

Gracias, Alfonso y enhorabuena a Ana! Por favor cuéntanos algo más, para los que no conocíamos a Ana Pinto hasta ahora.

--------------------------------------
Thanks Alfonso and congratulations to Ana! Please tell us a little more for those of us who didn't know Ana Pinto until now.

Saludos
Terechu
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Yes, thanks, Alfonso, and congrats to Ana!

Ana is a member of the forum, and her user name in the forum is now "Ana Cris" (but was "Lula Jones"). Ana is learning to play the gaita asturiana, as shown in the photo below. She's a lover of Asturias, fan of motorcycles, and a great conversationalist. Unfortunately, I'm sure that I don't know her well enough to introduce her adequately.

¡Sí, gracias a Alfonso, y enhorabuena a Ana!

Ana es una socia del foro, pero su nombre usuario en el foro ahora es "Ana Cris" (pero era "Lula Jones"). Ana está aprendiendo a tocar la gaita asturiana, como puedes ver en el foto aquí arriba. Es amante de Asturies, aficionada de motocicletas, y una conversadora fantástica. Desafortunadamente, seguro que no la conozco bastante bien para introducirla de forma adecuada.
Last edited by Art on Tue May 10, 2005 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fonzu

About Ana

Post by Fonzu »

Well, how about if she introduces herself, and gives some details about her work and why she received this award?

But for now, here you can find about Ana and about her work:

http://www.accuca.conectia.es/

Saludos astures.

Alfonso
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

Yo ni siquiera sabía que existía el Pozu Faustón y mucho menos que tuviera relevancia arqueológica. Lo dicho - porque ye en Asturias, que llega a ser en Euskadi ya lo sabrían hasta en Uzbekistán (o más allá :? )
------------------------------------------------------

I didn't even know there was such a thing as the Pozu Faustón and even less that it had any archaeological relevance. As I said before - it's because it's in Asturias, if it were in the Basque country, they would have heard about it in Uzbekistan even (or even farther :? )

Terechu
Bob

Post by Bob »

Just a quick note to our English speakers that the archaeological site that describes Ana's work is well worth a look. The user can select English or Spanish.
Ana Cris

Hello AsturianUS from Ana Pinto

Post by Ana Cris »

Dear AsturianUS,

This is Ana here. Thanks for your nice words and for your congratulations, about the award and about our webpage http://www.accuca.conectia.es although I must apologize because this has not been updated for a long time now.

I shall be in NY in march for the Award Ceremony and giving a few talks, if you live nearby perhaps we can meet.

My name in this forum is Ana Cris. I am an archaeologist from Asturias, although I did my MA and my PhD in London (Natural History Museum, British Museum) and read it in the University in Oviedo. Now I have been in Arizona for some 3 years, I work at the Institute of Human Origins http://www.becominghuman.org (Arizona State University). A small bio follows.

"Ana Cristina Pinto-Llona is a Spanish archaeologist who spent much of her life organizing archaeological and palaeontological excavations in Asturias, northern Spain. Her research on the palaeoecology of cave bears has changed the views on how these extinct animals lived and interacted with prehistoric humans, and her work in caves with fossils of mammoths, elephants, rhinoceros, lions and leopards in the same area has offered new perspectives on the extinction of these animals in southern Europe. She explored and probed several caves in Spain looking for testimonies on the origins of modern humans and in 2002 she made an astonishing discovery in a remote cave in Northern Spain. Her test excavations revealed an occupation sequence ranging from the Early Upper Paleolithic, to the Mousterian -- the first arrival of modern humans into Europe back to Neanderthals and probably further back to the time of Homo erectus. Given the richness of finds and the depth of the stratigraphic sequence, she will be excavating and researching The Sopeña Archaeological Project for decades to come. She is currently Research Associate and Adjunct Professor at the Institute of Human Origins at Arizona State University."

In 1997 I was coparticipant in the Premio Príncipe de Asturias de Investigación Científica y Técnica. My excavations have been carried out in caves if the Parque Natural de Somiedo, in Tito Bustillo (Ribadesella) and others, and more recently and currently in the Concejo de Onís http://www.concejodeonis.com where I worked as County Archaeologist for a while. The fieldwork season is usually during the summer, which gives me the chance of expending some time in my beloved Asturias, and also to scape the heat of Arizona during the worst months of the year.

I found about Asturianus.Org about one year ago when I was trying to build a Mailing List on Gaita Asturiana in English. There is very little information in English about our instrument, and people wanting to learn to play it have a hard time if they don't speak Spanish, so I wanted to create a forum to help this if possible. I originally considered to set the US gaita asturiana list within AsturianUS.org. Please do visit or join us at http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/us ... asturiana/

It's great having AsturianUS, sometimes I compare the way Irish and even Galician emigrants have carried out their roots and culture to other countries, and I wonder why if the traditional culture of Asturias is so very rich and so very alive we havent' done so well abroad. But it's never too late.

Puxa,
Ana
Ps. Terechu, Pozu Faustón is just the address of the Laboratorio de Prehistorio de Proaza, is the name of the street (caleya I would say).

-------

[Note by Art: A copy of this message is also in the Introductions section of the forum
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtop ... =3515#3515
If you want to respond to Ana Cris' message, please write it there.

-------

Nota por Art: Un copia de este mensaje está en la sección de Presentaciones de Socios también:
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtop ... =3515#3515
Si queires dar una respuesta a mensaje de Ana Cris, por favor darle allí.]

-------
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Ana was honored with a Wings Worldquest award earlier this month:
http://www.wingsworldquest.org/programs/awards.htm

Congratulations to Ana!

----------------

La organización Wings Worldquest honró a Ana más temprano este mes:
http://www.wingsworldquest.org/programs/awards.htm