La matanza / Slaughtering Season

People, history, places, resources, & more.<br>
El pueblo, historia, lugares, recursos, & más.

Moderators: mariamatoyos, Moderators

Terechu

La matanza / Slaughtering Season

Post by Terechu »

A partir del 11 de noviembre, día de San Martín, empieza en toda Asturias "La matanza". De ahí el dicho "A todo gochín y llega su San Martín".
Aunque no es exclusivo de nuestra tierra, aquí tiene gran raigambre. Al contrario que el resto de España, aquí nunca fuimos musulmanes y siempre se comió gochu. Con la llegada del frío, se sacrifican los gochos para hacer chorizos, jamón, tocino y lacón para todo el año, y se hacen grandes comilonas con picadillo y lomo, incluso los restaurantes del concejo de Aller celebran jornadas gastronómicas de la matanza en que sirven unos menús a base de embutidos y carne de cerdo que son una pasada. Ya que no está para playa, pues a disfrutar de estas comidas recias de invierno.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Starting on Martinmas, November 11th, the pig slaughtering season starts all over Asturias. This is the origin of the saying: "Martinmas comes to every pig".
Although it is not exclusive of our region, it is deeply rooted here. Unlike the rest of Spain we were never Muslims and we have always eaten pork here. With the onset of cold weather, pigs are slaughtered to make chorizos, ham, bacon and salt pork shoulder, etc. to last all year, and we have big meals of "picadillo" (ground pork with paprika, the filling for chorizos) and pork loin with potatoes. The restaurants of the County Aller even have what they call "Matanza Gastronomic Days" on which they serve pork dishes that are out of this world.
Since we can't go to the beach, let's enjoy these hefty winter meals!

Saludos
Terechu
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

When I lived in Madrid, I wanted to visit a friend's family for San Martín and the hog butchering, but couldn't get there. My grandparents did it when they lived in West Virginia, but that was long before my time.

This may sound strange, but for about 20 years now one of my life goals has to experience hog butchering.

-----------

Cuando vivía en Madrid, quise visitar a la familia de un amigo para San Martín y la matanza de un cerdo, pero no pude irme. Mis abuelos lo hicieron cuando vivían en Virginia Occidental, pero era antes de mi nacimiento por muchos años.

Por extraño que parezca, ya hace 20 años que una meta de mi vida ha sido tener la experiencia de la matanza.

Return to “About Asturias - Sobre Asturies”