Common Christmas carols? - ¿Villacicos comúnes?

Group &amp; solo; voice, bagpipe, guitar, drum, etc.<br>
Banda y solo; voz, gaita, guitarra, tambor, etc.

Moderators: mariamatoyos, Chris, Moderators

Art
Site Admin

Common Christmas carols? - ¿Villacicos comúnes?

Post by Art »

Is there a list of Christmas carols that the average Asturian knows and would enjoy singing?

Here in the US, there are a number of Christmas carols that the average learns as a child and could sing even as an adult, including:
  • Silent Night
  • Oh, Christmas Tree
  • We Wish You a Merry Christmas
  • Jingle Bells
  • Deck the Halls (with Boughs of Holly)
Many would also know the more religious songs like:
  • Away in a Manger
  • Joy to the World
  • Oh, Little Town of Bethlehem
  • The First Noel
  • We Three Kings of Orient Are
  • Hark the Herald Angels Sing
-------------

¿Hay una lista de villancicos que el asturianu tipo sabe y disfrutaría cantar?

Aquí en los EU hay algunos villancios que aprendimos como niños y podemos cantar aún como adultos, incluyendo:
  • Silent Night
  • Oh, Christmas Tree (Ah, árbol m de Navidad)
  • We Wish You a Merry Christmas (Se deseamos una feliz Navidad)
  • Jingle Bells (Cascabeleos)
  • Deck the Halls (Engalanar las salas) [¡De verdad, no estoy seguro qué es que debemos engalenar!]
Muchos también sabría los villancicos más religiosos, incluyendo:
  • Away in a Manger (Alejado en un pesebre)
  • Joy to the World (Alegría al mundo)
  • Oh, Little Town of Bethlehem (Ah, pueblo chico de Belén)
  • The First Noel (La primera Navidad)
  • We Three Kings of Orient Are (Nosotros tres reyes del oriente somos)
  • Hark the Herald Angels Sing (Escucha, los ángeles heraldos cantan)
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

I'm probably an exception, as I lived in Germany and the USA, and therefore I learned Christmas carols in Spanish, English and German.

"Silent Night" and "Oh Christmas Tree" are actually German carols (Stille Nacht, Heilige Nacht" and "Oh Tannenbaum", although they are pretty much international now.

I believe the most famous American carols are "Jingle Bells" and "White Christmas".
"Joy to the World" and "Hark the Herald Angels sing" are religious classics, known probably in all Christian countries.

Spain has made a little contribution to this world heritage with "The Little Drummer Boy" and "The 25th of December (Fum-fum-fum)"

One big difference between Spanish carols and those of other countries is that ours are rather fast-paced and some have very irreverent verses, i.e.

Here are a couple from one of the most famous: "La Marimorena"

En el portal de Belén han entrado los ratones
y al pobre de San José le han roído los calzones.
Arre, arre, arre, la marimorena
arre, arre, arre que es la Noche Buena.

(The mice have gotten into the stable of Bethlehem
and have nibbled at poor St. Joseph's underpants
Get moving, get moving, make a big fuss
get moving, get moving, it's Christmas Eve. )

Hasta aquí hemos llegado cuatrocientos en pandilla
si quieres que te cantemos saca cuatrocientas sillas.
Arre, arre...
(We have come this far, four hundred of us in a bunch,
so if you want us to sing to you, you'd better get out four hundred chairs.)
Arre, arre...
jomaguca

Re: Common Christmas carols? - ¿Villacicos comúnes?

Post by jomaguca »

Art, te refieres a villancicos populares?por ejemplo:
EL TAMBORILERO
Campana sobre campana
A mi me gusta mucho un villancico qué cantaba Victor Manuel cuando empezaba a despuntar qué se titula "En el portalin de piedra"
Los peces en el rio
También uno qué cantaba Luis Aguilé qué se titula "Mi querida Navidad".

------------
translated by Art

Art, are you referring to popular Christmas carols? Here are some examples:
EL TAMBORILERO (Little Drummer Boy)
Campana sobre campana (Bells Ringing Upon Bells??)
I really like a Christmas carol sung by Victor Manuel when he first broke into stardom, which is called "En el portalin de piedra" (In the Stone Gateway??)
Los peces en el rio (The Fish in the River)
I also like one sung by Luis Aguilé that is called "Mi querida Navidad". (My Beloved Christmas)
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Hola, Jomaguca,

Sí, quiero decir los villancicos populares.

¿Sabe cantar esos villancios el asturiano tipo?

Tengo algunos discos viejos de villancicos cantado por Manolo Escobar que incluye la mayoría de los que enumeraste. Cuando los oí la primera vez, reconocí casí ninguno.

Es posible que hay una differencia cualitativa entre los villancios populares de España y de los EEUU. Nuestros me parecen más lúgubres o serios.

----------

Hi, Jomaguca,

Yes, I meant the popular carols.

Would the average Asturian be able to sing those songs?

I have several albums of Christmas carols by Manolo Escobar that includes most of those you mentioned. Almost none of them were familiar to us when we first heard them.

There may be a qualitative difference between the popular carols in the US and those in Spain. Ours seem more somber or serious.
jomaguca

Post by jomaguca »

Hola Art, sí te digo la verdad yo no se cantar los villancicos en asturiano,por no saber no sé ni hablar en asturiano aunque algo lo entiendo,yo creo (por favor qué me corrija Terechu) qué el asturiano se habla más en la parte de Mieres y la cuenca Minera ,creo qué también en Gijón,yo no lo sé hablar porque nunca lo estudié y tampoco era obligatorio en la escuela como por ejemplo en Cataluña y Galicia qué sí es obligatorio.

------------------------------------
Translated by Bob

Hi Art. To tell you the truth I don't know how to sing the Christmas carols in Asturian, because I don't know how and I don't speak Asturian even though I understand some of it. I think that (please correct me Terechu) that Asturian is spoken more in the area of Mieres and the mining district [valley or river basin?]. and--I think--in Gijón. I don't know how to speak it because I never studied it and neither was it required in school, as it [i.e., the local language] is in Catalonia and Galicia where it is required.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Hola, Jomaguca, me interesa que no aprendió asturianu como niño. ¿Ahora lo aprenden los niños?

Pregunté así: "¿Puede cantar un tipo viviendo en Asturias esos villancicos -- en algún lengua (asturianu o castellano)? En este caso, el idioma me interesa menos que si la gente cantan las canciones.

--------

Hi, Jomaguca, that's interesting that you didn't learn Asturian as a child. Do children learn it today?

My question was this: Would the average person living in Asturias be able to sing these songs in any language (Spanish or Asturian)? In this case I'm less concerned about the language than whether people sing the songs.
Last edited by Art on Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
jomaguca

Post by jomaguca »

Art, cuando yo ca la escuela ,el Bable o Asturiano, no se ofertaba en la escuela ,ahora la puedes cojer como optativa aunque no es obligatoria(como por ejemplo en Cataluña ,Galicia y el País Vasco), si el colegio la oferta ,tiene qué haber un determinado grupo de niños es decir si por ejemplo solo hay dos niños qué quieren estudiar Asturiano pués entonces olvidate, pero si hay muchos entonces se contrata a un profesor ,para ser sincero no creo qué haya muchos crios qué la quieran estudiar ,porque no creas qué es muy fácil. :roll:

-------------
translated by Art

Art, when I went to school Bable or Asturian weren't offered in school. Now you can take it as an elective, although it isn't required (as it would be, for example, in Catalonia, Galicia, and the Basque Country). If the school offers it, there have to be a certain number of children. That means that if, for example, there are only two kids who want to study Asturian, then you can forget about it. But if there are many, then they'd hire a teacher. To be honest, I don't believe that there are many children that want to study it because they don't believe it to be very easy. :roll:
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Vaya, no sabía que no es corriente estudiar asturianu. Me causó muy buena impresión que tantos socios del foro saben escribir asturianu.

--------------

Wow, I didn't know that it wasn't common to study Asturian. I've been impressed that so many of our members can write Asturian.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Sin pensar de la lengua (asturianu o castellano)...¿puede cantar la mayoría de asturianos esas villancicos que enumeraste?

-----------

Without thinking about the language (Asturian or Spanish)....can the majority of Asturians sing those Christmas carols you listed?
jomaguca

Post by jomaguca »

Sí , porqué son villancios muy comunes y como se dice aquí de toda la vida,van pasando de generación en generación.

------------
Translated by Art

Yes, because they are very common Christmas carols. And because they're sung here throughout one's lifetime, they get passed down from generation to generation.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

¿Dónde o cuando se cantan esos villacicos? ¿Tengo razón suponiendo que por la mayoría no es que los cantan en la iglesia?

Aquí creo que se cantan en las iglesias, y de vez y cuando en otros acontecimientos publicos. No sé si hay muchas familias que cantan juntas.

----------

Where or when do you sing these Christmas carols? Am I right in assuming that for most people it's not in church?

Here, I think these songs are sung in the churches, and sometimes in public events. I don't know if many families sing together.
jomaguca

Post by jomaguca »

¿Dónde o cuando se cantan esos villacicos? pués qué quieres qué te diga, no tienen por qué cantarse en las iglesias ,mismamente mí madre por estas fechas cuando está limpiando canta ,pero mi abuela me tiene contado qué cuando ella era niña,los niños iban cantando los villancicos por las casas ,para qué luego les dieran el aguinaldo (dinero ó polvorones y turrones) y también en las casas se reunía toda la familia y cantaban villancicos, pero hoy en día esa tradicción ya no se usa, una porqué todo se acaba y otra porqué en cualquier casa siempre falta algún familiar qué se ha muerto y por respeto no se canta. :cry:
-------------------------------------------
Transl. Terechu

Where or when are Christmas carols sung? What can I say, they don't have to be sung in Church, my mother for instance sings them this time of year while cleaning house, and my grandmother told me that when she was little, the children used to go from house to house caroling, so they would get a treat (some money or Christmas sweets), and also when families got together they would sing them, but nowadays that tradition is no longer kept up, first because all things have an end and second because there are always family members missing that have passed away, so out of respect nobody sings. :cry:
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

In my neighbourhood some kids still go caroling. I used to go with my brothers and cousins when I was a kid and thought it was great fun, so whenever children ring the bell and ask if we want them to sing to us, we always say yes. I do as Americans do for Halloween, I fill a bowl with Christmas goodies and just give each kid one. Unfortunately this Christmas I was gone, but last year we had four groups singing on the doorsteps on Christmas Eve (before dinner).
----------------------------------------------------------------------
En mi barrio todavía hay niños que salen a cantar el aguinaldo. Yo solía ir de pequeña con mis hermanos y primos y me parecía estupendo, así que siempre que llaman a la puerta y preguntas si queremos que nos canten, decimos que sí. Hago como los americanos por Halloween, lleno una fuente con chucherías de Navidad y le doy una a cada niño/a. Por suerte o por desgracia estas Navidades no estuvimos, pero el año pasado tuvimos a cuatro grupos cantando villancicos en el rellano de la escalera antes de la cena de Noche Buena.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

In the late 1960s I can remember going with other teenagers from our church to sing Christmas carols to the shut-ins (mostly elderly people who were too weak or sick to leave their home). That was a lot of fun. Afterward we went to the church for hot chocolate. I think that some of the people invited us in or offered us candy, but that our leaders discouraged that because the shut-ins wouldn't have been prepared for us (since this wasn't common in that era) and they weren't up to it physically.

In the late 1970s I went Christmas caroling with a teacher and my classmates from grad school in Washington, DC. At one house the owner came out and said very gruffly, "What's going on out here?!" Our teacher said, "Hi, neighbor! We're singing Christmas carols!" It struck me then that this was a tradition that had already died out in metropolitan areas.

I think carolers came to our door in Pella, Iowa, around the year 2000, so the tradition may still be alive in small towns in the US.

----------------

A finales de los años 1960 puedo acordarme de ir con otros adolescentes de nuestra iglesia a cantar Villancicos a los encerrados (la gente sobre todo anciana que era demasiado débil o enferma para dejar su casa). Era mucha diversión. Después fuimos a la iglesia para beber "chocolate caliente" (una bebida de leche y chocolate). Pienso que algunos de la gente nos invitaron entrar sus casas o nos ofrecieron unos dulces, pero que nuestros líderes lo desalentaron porque los encerrados no habrían estado preparados para nosotros (ya que esto no era común en aquella era) y no eran capaces físicamente.

A finales de los años 1970 fui me cantando villancicos con un profesor un
y mis compañeros de clase de un escuela posgrado en Washington DC. De una casa el propietario salió y dijo muy bruscamente, "¿¡Qué pasa aquí?!" Nuestro profesor dijo, "¡Hola, vecino mío! ¡Cantamos villancicos!" Se me ocurrió en aquel momento que cantar villancicos era una tradición que ya había muerto en áreas metropolitanas.

Pienso que algunas cancionistas vinieron a nuestra puerta en Pella, Iowa, alrededor del año 2000, así que la tradición todavía puede estar viva en pequeñas ciudades en EU.

Return to “Music - Música”