Moundsvill / Zeising / Langeloth Connection

Retelling the stories of the Asturian-American migration.<br>
Recontando las historias de la emigración astur-americana.

Moderators: Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

As a young boy we would go to Moundsville to visit my Uncle Frank Vasquez. My Uncle Joe Vasquez would take me to visit the Ovies family I loved to visit them, not only the Pepsi they gave me.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Hi Ron,

If you have any other information about the Ovies family, please do post it. I and at least two other members of the forum have Ovies ancestry from north central Asturias (i.e., me and two third cousins, one in the US and one in ASturias.).

Bob Martinez
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Bob

Suronda went to WVU with a young lady who last name is Ovies and she did ask me about Ovies from Moundsville who had a Pepsi bottling company. She is now a juvenile judge in Arizona.

Ron Gonzalez
Barbara Alonso Novellino

Post by Barbara Alonso Novellino »

Hi Ron,

Wasn't your uncle Frank Vaszuez a Barber in Moundsville. If he is, his son Bob Vaszuez is a member of the Forum.

I remember the Ovies and their Pepsi Cola Bottling Company. My Uncle Julius drove a truck for them and I visited the plant many times. My Mom knew the Ovies family quite well. I think there are still members of that family living in Moundsville.

As a child Moundsville was a fun place to visit. My Grandparents Adelino and Adelina Montes lived there and I spent summers there. I have cousins there still...their name is Montes.

Barbara
Ron Gonzalez

Moundsvill/Zeising/Langeloth Connection

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Hi Barbara
Yes Frank was my uncle,and Bob is my cousin.When we were kids we would go to Moundsvill and stay the weekend,in the evening Me ,Bob ,and my other Jess would go to a basketball game.Well on the way home Bob would always take a shortcut home.A shortcut through a graveyard they would runaway from me ,hide behind a tombstone and jump out at me as I came by.Bad boys
Barbara Alonso Novellino

Hi Ron,

Are you talking about the Graveyard on, I think, First Street...down the hill. If so a lot of my relatives are buried there.

Its such an old cemetery I can imagine how you were frightened. Do you by any chance remember the movies that were shown in the High School Field outside in the summer...and Marshall Dairy that had the best ice cream?

My Grandparents lived down on the, what they called The Farm, or Spanish Town. My Grandfather worked in the Smelter down below the town.

What a small world we live in...

Barbara
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Barbara
Yes that is the one, I remember the field but not the ice cream.

Ronnie
Barbara Alonso Novellino

Hi Ron,

Maybe to refresh your memory...

The Marshall Dairy was across the street from the Pennitentary and not too far from The Mound.

The movies on a Friday night were a lot of fun. Its something because we would go...then walk home to The Farm and we had no fear of anyone bothering us...imagine that.

Barbara

Return to “Immigrant Stories - Historias inmigrantes”