Music in Oviedo

Group &amp; solo; voice, bagpipe, guitar, drum, etc.<br>
Banda y solo; voz, gaita, guitarra, tambor, etc.

Moderators: mariamatoyos, Chris, Moderators

conan_mcdonnell

Music in Oviedo

Post by conan_mcdonnell »

Hi everyone

I came across this website while trying to find information about Oviedo. I'm an Irishman living in London. I've been playing Irish traditional music for about 24 years, ever since I was a kid really. For some time I've been interested in the music of Northern Spain - Galician, Asturian and Basque.
This Easter I'm hoping to visit Oviedo - it looks like a beautiful and fascinating city.
I was wondering if any members could give me advice on where to go to hear Asturian music in Oviedo over the Easter weekend, and if it's worth bringing my accordion to learn some tunes. In fact, any useful information on what to do and where to go would be very gratefully received.

Thanks for your help. Sorry, my Spanish is terrible and my Asturian non-existent (although hopefully that will change).

Go raibh míle maith agaibh!

Conán McDonnell
Chris
Translator

Post by Chris »

Wellcome to the forum Connan!
There is some places(pubs and Bars) in Oviedo whrere they play Asturian music.but not a lot. you should go to chigre el naranco I think its a good one.
Ill try to find more.
conan_mcdonnell

Thanks Chris! I will certainly try out the bar you mentioned, and take the opportunity to sample some cider too.

Cheers

Conán
Chris
Translator

Post by Chris »

Well if you want sider you have to go to Gascona Strret
there is a lot os sidrerias over there.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Hi, Conán (love that accent!),

Very interesting question. Is there a tradition in Asturias of musicians joining together for an informal "session" or a jam?

Are there any festivals at this time of the year? I was amazed by the quality of the music at the Romería de los Santos Mártires (Valdecuna near Mieres).

I found this site that lists fiestas by month, but I don't think there's anything in Oviedo: http://www.guiastur.com/FIESTAS/FIESTMARZO.htm

------------

Hola, Conán (me encanta el acento),

Es una pregunta muy interesante. ¿Hay una tradición en Asturias de músicos que se unen para "una sesión" informal o una jam (actuación improvisada)?

¿Hay algún festival en este tiempo del año? Estuve asombrado por la calidad de la música en el Romería de los Santos Mártires (Valdecuna cerca de Mieres).

Encontré este sitio que cataloga fiestas por el mes, pero pienso que no hay una en Oviedo: http://www.guiastur.com/FIESTAS/FIESTMARZO.htm
Chris
Translator

Post by Chris »

I was searching on the web and I did not find anything. I'm sorry but there is nothing plan for right now.
If I find anything don't worry I'll post It here.

Saludinos dende Asturies
conan_mcdonnell

Art, Chris, thanks very much for your help and advice. To answer your question Art, no I don't think there is a tradition as such of people getting together for an informal session in Asturias.

The pub session as we know it actually started as recently as the 50's in either London or New York by the emigrant Irish. The idea seems to have been adopted by traditional English, Scots and Welsh musicians for their indigenous music . However, I don't think I've heard tell of an Asturian or Galician session, although I have heard Spanish Celtic, Breton, Bulgarian and Scandinavian music played at Irish sessions!

I think Asturian music is played more as a performance; we're just hijacking it to make our pub sessions more interesting! :¬)

All the best

Conán
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Our member Carlos tells me that you can hear Irish music in several local bars!

------------

¡Nuestro socio Carlos me dijó que se puede encontrar la música irlandesa en los bares locales!
Last edited by Art on Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
Translator

Post by Chris »

I know 2 of them I´ll check them out this weekend mabe drink some beer :lol: But I have to go alone becouse my friends don´t like folk music.

Now I have an excuse to go. I wanted to go Long time ago but I´m the only guy of my group who likes folk music.
adriana

Post by adriana »

Hola, Conán!
Hay dos pubs en Gijón (una ciudad importante en la costa, a 30 minutos de Oviedo), el Ca Beleño y el Trisquel, donde se reunen algunos músicos para tocar folk, como si fuese una jam session. Improvisan variaciones sobre algunos temas conocidos del folk.
Esto no ocurre siempre, otras veces (la mayoría) hay conciertos programados por un grupo concreto, pero pensé que os gustaría saber que esas reuniones folk tipo jam session sí que existen.
Un saludo.
Lo intentaré con la traducción, será un desastre pero espero que entendáis algo:

I'll try to make the translation. If I make mistakes... sorry!
Hi, Conán!
There are two pubs in Gijón (an important city at the coast, 30 minutes from Oviedo), Ca Beleño and Trisquel, where some musicians play folk music together as a jam session. They improvise variations over folk tunes.
This happens only a few days. The rest of the performances at these pubs are given by music groups, without improvisation. At least, I thought you'd like to know that these performances with improvisation exist.
Enjoy your stance in Asturias!
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Thanks for the great tip, Adriana! Maybe I'll check that out on my next trip, too.

Also for Conán...
There is excellent bus service between Oviedo and Gijón, so getting there won't be a problem.

-------------

¡Gracias para el consejo estupendo, Adriana! Puede ser lo disfrutaré el próximo viaje, también.

También para Conán...
Hay un servicio de autobuses excelente entre Oviedo y Gijón, así que irse a Gijón no sería un problema.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Hola Adriana,

You don''t have to worry about the quality of your translation into English. It´s very good. None of our monolingual English speakers should have any difficulty with it at all.

Like Art, I too intend to check out the places you mentioned during my next visit to Asturias. I love folk music. During the early 1960's I was a member of a semiprofessional folk group. I sang, played guitar and bass (not terribly well, I'm afraid), and did a little stand up comedy. If it weren't for that experience (especially the comedy), I would never have ended up with the job I have now, biology professor.

Bob Martínez
Mouguias

Post by Mouguias »

Conan
The best pub in Oviedo is, no doubt, the Ca Beleno (from the same owners as the one in Xixon). I think they still make jam sessions over there from time to time. There is another folk-pub very close to the Ca Beleno, called "La Deva". You should visit also "El Asturiano". I know they organize conferences and concerts from time to time.
However, if you visit Oviedo the best way to know about Asturian music is the "Muestra de Folklore Ciudad de Oviedo", it is a one-year long music contest, held in the Teatro Campoamor every sunday morning. All of traditional stages of Asturian music are represented there.
Welcome here!
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

That's interesting, Mouguias. Is the "Muestra de Folklore Ciudad de Oviedo" more or less the same thing every week, or are there different kids of folklore each week, or....? Will the contest still happening in the summer (when I might be able to come)?

-------

Éste me interesa, Mouguias. ¿Es la "Muestra de Folklore Cuidad de Oviedo" más o menos la misma cada semana, o es que hay distintas tipos de folklore cada semana, o....? ¿Todavía tendrá lugar en el verano (cuando es posible que venga)?
Mouguias

Post by Mouguias »

The contest starts in November and ends in May, making a couple of stops during Xmas and (I think) Good Week. Every session lasts some two or three hours, and includes most possible categories. I mean every sunday you can hear several of the following: tonada, solo piper, piper and drum duets, square drum players, bandinas (small traditional ensembles including hurdy-gurdy, fiddle and acordion), traditional dance and choirs. Most sundays there is also some guest artist, at times a traditional musician, at times a "folky" one.
There isn`t any site devoted entirely to the "Concurso y Muestra de Folclore Ciudad de Oviedo", as far as I know, but from time to time you can find some news in "Culture" section at La Nueva Espana, for example
http://www.lne.es/secciones/noticia.jsp ... emplar=818
I hope I have been of some help, all I can say is, well, google on this.

Return to “Music - Música”