History of Spelter An American Asturian Community

> Formal: construction, farming, manufacturing, mining, small businesses, smelting, etc. > Informal: blackberry picking, boarding houses, bootlegging, clothes washing, sausage making.<br>
> Formal: construcción, agricultura, fabricación, minería, pequeñas empresas, fundición, etc. > Informal: cosecha de moras, pensiones, contrabandista, colada, embutimiento.

Moderators: Maria Garcia Alvarez, JuanLeon, Moderators

Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

After reading some of the posting on this Forum memoirs of the past are coming back. I can remember my mom (Ida Vasquez Gonzalez) telling me about some the wives of the "highly thought of" not all but some. They would come to the house with their dirty laundry. They would tell her, "don't forget your husband works for my husband." She would tell them, "you and your dirty laundry can go home." She was one that said no, how many said yes?
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Ron, after hearing several other stories like that I wondered whether there was any difference besides the job?

These bosses were Asturian, weren't they?

Did the bosses in the factory have any other reason to think they were superior (wealth, education, ???)

-----------

Ron, despues de oír otras historias así, ¿me pregunté si había otras diferencias más que sus trabajos?

Esos jefes fueron asturianos, ¿no?

¿Tenían los jefes otra razón pensar que estaban superiores (riqueza, educación, ???)?
Ron Gonzalez

History Of Spelter, An American Asturian Community

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Art
The difference was jobs only. I think it was the wives who felt superior, not the husbands. Were they Asturian "no", all of them were in the same boat when it came to wealth, education. The Asturians of this community were always there to help each other when there was a need.
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Article from the Clarksburg WV paper
"Early Settlers Of Spelter"

Eugenio Alvarez, F.M.Swisher, Antone Fernandez, George Hill, Guy McDaniel, Diego Vasquez (my maternal grandfather), Angelo Perri, R.Blanco, R.Cueto, Ed Prack, Tony Wastro, Steve Shanto, John Pappa, Mary Bitonti, Kate Lepon, Joe Alvarez, Ralph Harper, Tony Fernandez, George Carpender, Kinsey Greene, Jo Ovies, M. Ovies, Joe Medina, Joe Huerta, Joe Menendez, Jake Shingleton, Dewitt Shingleton, Antonio Loria, J. R. Palmer, George Corbin.

-----------
trans. Art

Artículo del periódico de Clarksburg, WV
"Pobladores tempranos de Spelter"

Eugenio Alvarez, F.M.Swisher, Antone Fernandez, George Hill, Guy McDaniel, Diego Vasquez (mi abuelo materno), Angelo Perri, R.Blanco, R.Cueto, Ed Prack, Tony Wastro, Steve Shanto, John Pappa, Mary Bitonti, Kate Lepon, Joe Alvarez, Ralph Harper, Tony Fernandez, George Carpender, Kinsey Greene, Jo Ovies, M. Ovies, Joe Medina, Joe Huerta, Joe Menendez, Jake Shingleton, Dewitt Shingleton, Antonio Loria, J. R. Palmer, George Corbin.

Return to “Work & Industry - Trabajo e industria”