Pre-Castro Habana - Habana antes de Castro

Retelling the stories of the Asturian-American migration.<br>
Recontando las historias de la emigración astur-americana.

Moderators: Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

Art
Site Admin

Pre-Castro Habana - Habana antes de Castro

Post by Art »

I've been intrigued by things El Tampeno and Antón Huerta have said about pre-Castro Habana and Cuba.

http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtop ... =4771#4771
El Tampeno wrote:Politics aside, life in pre-Castro Habana was, for many people a wonderful time....it was an era that is forever gone and can never be replaced.
Can you describe for us what it was like, what made it special?

-----------------

He sido intrigado por cosas que El Tampeño y Antón Huerta han dicho sobre Habana y Cuba antes de Castro.

http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtop ... =4771#4771
El Tampeno, trans. Art wrote:La política aparte, la vida en Habana antes de Castro era, para muchas personas un maravilloso tiempo .... era una era que siempre es ida y nunca puede ser substituida.
¿Podéis describirnos cómo era Habana y qué lo hizo especial?
El Tampeno

Pre-Castro Habana

Post by El Tampeno »

Art,

Thanks for your interest. My comments and opinions are, of course, subjective...but over the years I have observed that many people that knew pre-Castro Cuba would agree with me.

First of all the physical beauty of the island was phenomenal...think Hawaii with a Latin flair, though somewhat less mountainous. Also, the architecture of La Habana was one of the most impressive anywhere...a combination of Spanish Colonial, and by the 1950's interestingly accented
with Art Deco and mid-century modern.

The people were possessed of an energy and exuberance that I have yet to find anywhere else that I have traveled....a combination of a European (mostly, but not exclusively, Spanish) sense of pride and honor, with a healthy dose of spontaneity and "gusto" for life that we associate with Latin American countries.

Habana was simply one of those cities that had a distinct "pulse" and vibrancy....a large city with a diverse population of Europeans, Blacks, Mulattoes, and Orientals (yes, Habana had and still has a Chinatown...the best fried rice anywhere is in a Cuban-Chinese restaurant). It was a city of the night...lots of activity in the streets, families out eating late at night. The food was excellent and was available almost any hour of the day or night.

I also think that part of the attraction was that Cuba was also very "comfortable" for many Americans, particularly for those that spoke Spanish. By this I mean that one could have a "foreign" experience close to home in a relativley advanced country. Though there certainly was a much larger gap between rich and poor than here in the US, Cuba was, by Latin American standards, very advanced. I have read that, prior to the
Cuban Revolution, Cuba had the 3rd highest standard of living in the WEstern Hemisphere, behind the US and Canada. There was a much more distinctive middle class than in other Latin American countries of that era, particularly in Habana.

If you like music, Cuba was (and still is) THE PLACE. Music everywhere, all the time.

For those of us proud of our Asturian heritage, Cuba and especially Habana was of interest due to the large influence of Asturianos. Even in that hot climate one could find excellent Fabada, chorizos, etc. Much of the merchant middle class was of Asturian and other Spanish descent.
As we have chatted about before, two of the most impressive buildings in Habana were the Centro Asturiano and Centro Gallego, situated very near the old Capitolio (the former national Capitol building of Cuba). These were often the sites of excellent musical productions, such as zarzuelas, and fiestas.

Several years ago PBS produced a documentary on pre-Castro Habana. I recorded it. If you are interested, I would be happy to make a copy and send it to you. Send me your address via my personal E-mail if you like.

Suffice it to say that Cuba and La Habana were simply blessed with a confluence of many desirable elements.....it was one of those unique places that once visited was never forgotten. However, it is undeniable that for many people, life did improve after the revolution. If only Castro
hadn't become drunk on his own power, perhaps Cuba today would have been a society that had retained much of its interesting history and flair while also improving the life of many of its citizens. Sadly, it just didn't work out that way, and frankly the world has lost a real gem.

----------------------------------------------
Trans. Ana

Art,

Gracias por tu interés. Mis comentarios y opiniones son, por supuesto, subjetivos... pero con el paso de los años he notado que muchas personas que conocieron la Cuba pre-castrista estarían de acuerdo conmigo.

En primer lugar, la belleza física de la isla era grandiosa... imaginad Hawaii con un aire latino, aunque menos montañosa. También la arquitectura de la Habana era de lo más impresionante: una combinación del colonialismo español, y por los años 50 marcada por Art-Déco y el modernismo de mediados de siglo.

La gente esta imbuida por una energía y exhuberancia que aún no he encontrado en ningún otro lugar al que he viajado: una mezcla del sentido europeo de orgullo y honor (español en gran medida, pero no exclusivamente), con una dosis sana de espontaneidad y “gusto” por la vida que asociamos a países latinoamericanos.

La Habana era, sencillamente, una de esas ciudades con un pulso y vibración características... una gran ciudad con una población diversa compuesta de europeos, negros, mulatos y orientales (sí, la Habana tenía y aún conserva un barrio chino... el mejor arroz frito se encuentra en un restaurante cubano-chino). Era una ciudad nocturna, con mucha actividad en sus calles, con familias que salían a cenar tarde por la noche. La comida era excelente y estaba disponible a cualquier hora del día o la noche.

También creo que parte de la atracción era que Cuba era muy “cómoda” para muchos americanos, en particular los que hablaban español. Me refiero a que se podía tener una experiencia “extranjera” cerca de casa en un país relativamente moderno. Aunque, evidentemente, había una diferencia más notable entre ricos y pobres que en Estados Unidos, Cuba era muy moderna, según los criterios latinoamericanos. He leído que antes de la Revolución cubana, el país ocupaba el tercer puesto en cuanto a nivel de vida del hemisferio occidental, por detrás de Estados Unidos y Canadá. Había una clase media mucho más característica que en otros países latinoamericanos en de la época, especialmente en la Habana.

Si te gusta la música, Cuba era (y lo sigue siendo) el LUGAR IDÓNEO. Música por todas partes, tdoo el tiempo.

Para los que estamos orgullosos de nuestra herencia asturiana Cuba, y en concreto la Habana, era interesante debido a la influencia de los asturianos. Incluso en ese clima caluroso se podía encontrar una fabada excelente, chorizos, etc. Muchos de los comerciantes de la clase media eran descendientes de asturianos y españoles. Como hemos comentado en otras ocasiones, dos de los edificios más impresionantes de la Habana eran el Centro Asturiano y el Centro Gallego, ubicados cerca del antiguo Capitolio (el antiguo edificio Capitol nacional de Cuba). Con frecuencia acogían excelentes producciones musicales, como zarzuelas y fiestas.

Hace unos años, la PBS produjo un documental sobre la Habana pre-castrista. Lo grabé. Si estáis interesados, os grabo una copia y os envío. Enviadme vuestra dirección a mi correo personal.

Basta decir que Cuba y la Habana fueron, sencillamente, bendecidas con una confluencia de diversos elementos... fue uno de aquellos lugares únicos, que una vez visitabas ya no podías olvidar. Sin embargo, es innegable que para muchos la vida mejoró tras la revolución. Si Castro no se hubiera embriagado con su propio poder, en la actualidad existiría una sociedad que habría conservado mucho de su interesante historia y sabor local, al tiempo que hubiera mejorado la vida de muchos de sus ciudadanos. Tristemente, no ha sido el caso y, francamente, el mundo ha perdido una valiosa joya.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Your answer draws a very colorful image, Tony. Thanks!

--------------

Tony, tu respuesta evoca una imagen muy de colorido. ¡Gracias!
astucati
Translator

Post by astucati »

On the subject: "Life in Havana before Castro" (or "Life in Pre-Castro Havana") and ...also on the M.I. Asturian Center of Havana (M.I.* Centro Asturiano de L'Habana).
Yes, I quite agree with the comments from that other member of the Forum. As he says: Life in Havana, politics apart, was something very special. That was so mainly to many thousand Asturian and other immigrants from the rest of Spain (Galicians first of all, followed by people from the Northern part of the Peninsula and many Canarians also).
Havana was, at that time, an ideal wonderful place where to go to work hard, save money and attain a good standard or way of life, with many advantages and facilities not very common in so many other countries apart from the U.S. those days. The whole city was advanced, clean and very well-cared; good buses services, clean and wellkept streets and avenues, wellkept gardens and parks, lots of good shops of every kind selling and serving the best goods of that time, lots of private enterprises and private-owned schools, hospital, sports centers and associations, nice entertainment (prostitution was something common not only in Havana but in many cities of the Caribbean area; in th other hand, it was that kind of prostitution based and due, more than in poverty, on sexual ''tradition'' or vice itself; actually: there's now a lot more of prostitutes and prostitution
due to economic trouble and povetty and lack of everythin over there in Havana...than in those ''vicious'' times).
Some of the many reasons for that, I think (my own opinion) were:
As Havana and Cuba were a kind of ''American Protectorate" <*> and even first than that, Havana was more directly linked to Spain right from the late 15th-early 16th centuries and till the end of the 19th century and Spains's most important threshold and ''key'' possession, then the country was a more advanced and cultivated one than most of the other Latin American countries (competing with the Argentine of that time or even surpassing it in most or many aspects).
To be added to that: Lots of Spanish immigrants, mainly from Galicia & Asturies and the North of Spain (also Catalonians) were working very hard in Havana, very active, enterprise and hard-working people (in fact: the real people making possible that forward trend, situation and activity not very usal among the place's native population! ...a key reason for that sate of wellfare!...of that I haven't got any doubt, unfortunately!...as many people said those times there: The ''gallegos'' (North Spanish people in general) are the only ones who real work hard and save money and invest their earnings in new enterprises of all time! !!!).
So Havana and Cuba were thriving places full of most of the best and first things and facilities of that time...a wonderful place now gone and impossible to recover...
At that time Havana's places and streets weren't badly kept, backward, uncleaned and a misery the way they are now and same for the native Cuban people and for the ''gallegos'' still living over there!
So Havana and Cuba at that time boasts having more ''middle-class'' population than the rest of the Latin American countries and then being only surpassed by the U.S. themselves. It was a active, rich and well-kept place, lately spoilt and destroyed by two dictatorships or tyrannies: first that of President General (Dictator) Fulgencio Batista and the present one of Dictator Fidel Castro. In fact, I think, this second and present one owing its very first reason of existence to that of Batista and which progressed because and thanks to that first one dictatorship (lasting from the beginning of 1953 to the end of 1958, over five years). In fact, one of the reasons for the awful support Castro got from the Cuban people and population when he took over the country's government was: that he was going to restitute or restore Democracy, Freedom and Normalcy back to Cuba, first of all, by celebrating true free elections. Cuba was, at the time of Castro's arrival, like a kind of feeble, sick and ill patient: needing a cure...but taking in account that situation: it'd die if not cured but it'd also die if the cure was surpassed or in excess!...And, of course, the ''gallegos'' and the ''clase media'' (middle-class) were the people getting the first and worst results of the ''overcharge'' effects and results!...When the ''gallegos'' and the middle-class were forced to leave the place, then the things were ready for the catastrophe and the present situation!
And...to add to that!...we shouldn't forget that at present and actually the most important partner and supplier of the Cuban-Castro regime and its trade are the U.S.A., not Spain, Canada, France, Italy or Germany or...even...China!
As for the M.I. Asturian Center of Havana/M.I.* Centro Asturiano de La Habana, I'd like to send my comments and information in a next message.
Many thanks,
jahf/xahf Antón Huerta.

-----------------------------------------------------
Trans. Ana

Sobre el tema: “Vida en la Habana pre-castrista” y también sobre el Centro Asturiano de la Habana.

Sí, estoy bastante de acuerdo con los comentarios del otro miembro del foro. Como él dice: La vida en la Habana, política aparte, era algo especial. Y lo era, principalmente, para miles de asturianos y otros inmigrantes del resto de España (sobre todo gallegos, seguidos por personas del norte de la península y también muchos canarios).

La Habana era por entonces un lugar maravilloso e ideal en el que trabajar duro, ahorrar y conseguir un buen nivel de vida, con muchas ventajas y facilitades no muy comunes en aquella época en muchos otros países, aparte de Estados Unidos. Era una ciudad moderna, limpia y muy bien cuidada; buenos servicios de autobuses, calles y avenidas limpias y cuidadas, jardines y parques cuidados, muchas buenas tiendas de todo tipo de cosas, con las mejores mercancías de la época; muchas empresas y colegios privados, hospitales, centros deportivos y asociaciones, buen entretenimiento (la prostitución era común no sólo en la Habana, sino también en muchas ciudades de área caribeña; por otra parte, era un tipo de prostitución basado y debido, más en la pobreza, en la “tradición” sexual o el vicio; en la actualidad hay muchas más prostitutas y prostitución a causa de los problemas económicos, la pobreza y la falta de todo en la Habana, que en aquellos tiempos de “vicio”).

Algunas de las muchas razones, en mi opinión, creo que fueron:

El ser la Habana y Cuba una especie de “Protectorado americano”, e incluso anteriormente, la Habana estaa más directamente ligada a España desde finales del siglo XV, principios del siglo XVI y hasta el siglo XIX y era el nivel de referencia y la posesión “clave” de España, el país era más moderno y culto que la mayoría de países latinoamericanos (compitiendo con la Argentina de aquella época e incluso superándola en muchos aspectos).

A eso hay qua añadir que: muchos inmigrantes españoles, especialmente de Galicia y Asturias y el norte de España (también catalanes) trabajaban afanosamente en la Habana, de forma muy activa, empresarios y personas muy trabajadoras (de hecho quienes hicieron posible ese avance, situación y actividad poco frecuentes entre la población nativa)... ¡una razón clave para ese esatdo de bienestar!... de esto, desgraciadamente, no tengo duda alguna... Como muchos decían entonces por allí: los “gallegos” (como se llamaba a los españoles en general) son los únicos que trabajan duro de verdad y ahorran e invierten sus ganancias en nuevas empresas continuamente!!!

Así, la Habana y Cuba era lugares en desarrollo colmados de lo mejor, más novedoso y facilidades del momento... un sitio maravilloso ahora desaparecido e imposible de recuperar...

Por entonces, las calles de la ciudad no estaban en malas condiciones, sucias y tristes como lo están ahora, lo mismo para los nativos cubanos y los “gallegos” que aún viven allí.

La Habana y Cuba, entonces, presumían de tener más “clase-media” que el resto de países latinoamericanos, sólo superados por los Estados Unidos. Era un país activo, rico y bien cuidado, posteriormente echado a perder y destruido por dos dictadores o tiranos: primero por el Presidente general (Dicatador) Fulgencio Batista y el ahora Dictador Fidel Castro.

De hecho, considero que el segundo y actual debe su existencia, principalmente, a Batista, y que progresó por y gracias a ese primer dictador (que se mantuvo en el poder desde principios de 1953 hasta finales de 1958, durante 5 años). Tanto es así, que uno de los motivos por los que Castro obtuvo tanto apoyo del pueblo Cubano cuando tomó el relevo del gobierno del país fue poque iba a restituir la democracia, la libertad y la normalidad a Cuba celebrando, directamente, elecciones libres. Cuba era, cuando Castro llegó al poder, una especie de paciente enfermo y débil que necesitaba curarse, pero teniendo en cuenta aquella situación: moriría si no se curaba, pero también moriría si se curaba en exceso... Y, por supuesto, los “gallegos” y la “clase media” era quienes sentirían los primeros y perores resultados y efectos de la “sobrecarga”. Cuando los “gallegos” y la clase media se vieron obligados a abandonar el país fue cuando todo estuvo preparado para la catástrofe y actual situación.

Y a eso hay que sumar: no hay que olvidar que, actualmente, el socio y proveedor más importante del régimen castrista cubano y su comercio son los Estados Unidos, no España, Canadá, Francia, Italia, Alemania, ni siquiera China.

En cuanto al Centro Asturiano de la Habana, prefiero enviar mis comentarios e información en un próximo mensaje.

Muchas gracias,
jahf/xahf Antón Huerta.
astucati
Translator

Pre-Castro's Havana.

Post by astucati »

P/D.- Sorry I'd like to add to my previous comments what I'd like and want to say further on that subject of above's reference.
It's hard and difficult to say but I must and I want to be clear and frank!...
When I say, in a paragraph or line of my previous comment, that Havana and Cuba were, at that time, a ...kind of ''American Protectorate''...I want to add something to that, something which I think is clear and true and must be taken in account and remembered!...
Before Cuba was that kind of ''American Protectorate'' (1898-1958) it was a Spanish one, a Spanish Colony (although someones insist in defining it as a ''Provincia de Ultramar'' /''Abroad or Overseas Spanish Province") for many centuries and for most of its History while it was a Soviet Russian one from 1959 to 1991 and now it's almost or nearly a Chinese one!...
It must be clearly said something hard, difficult and painful (something many or most people get sideways and prefer to forget or hide)...Spain was after 1890 a country in deep crisis, both internal and external, a decrepit, old feeble and misery-stricken empire, it was a kind of sick ''octopus'', its few left ''tentacles'' being Cuba, Puerto Rico and the Philippines...full of corruption, disorder, ineptitude and wrong...
Then in 1898 during the Spanish-American War and till 1902, when the U.S.A. took over Cuba, the Island was in a very bad and difficult situation suffering from lack of essential services, lack of hospitals, roads and schools...most part of the native population suffering from hunger and that lack of sanitary and social attention. Most everything was badly kept and in peril....Then the Americans, when they took over the country, started ''mending'' and solving all that trouble: they build many good hospitals, roads, schools and other facilities during those four years of open occupation, they did what the so-called ''Mother Country'' hasn't done (as it was unable to care about the Peninsula itself!).
As result of that, many thousands ''Gallegos'' (Galician, Asturians, Catalonians, Northern-Spaniards and Canarians) migrated to the then restored, wellkept and progressist Island, putting and making possible the foundations, from 1910 to 1950 for the kind of Havana we're talking about and commenting, for the gone and unforgotable Pre-Castro Havana (politics apart), working hard, very hard, very candidly and kindly, saving money, investing their earnings in new enterprises and facilties!...
To me it's very clear, quite clear and simple!
Many thanks,
jahf/xahf/Antón Huerta.
PUXA ASTURIES!

----------------------------------------------------------

P.D. Disculpad. Quería añadir a mis comentarios anteriores lo que me gustaría y quero decir en referencia al tema anteriormente mencionado.

¡Es duro y difícil de decir pero debo y quiero ser claro y sincero!

Cuando digo en un párrafo o línea de mi comentario anterior que la Habana y Cuba era por entonces una especie de “Protectorado americano”... ¡quiero añadir algo que pienso es claro y cierto, y que debe ser tenido en cuenta y recordado!...

Antes de que Cuba se convirtiera en esa especie de “Protectorado americano” (1898-1958), lo fue español, una colonia española (aunque algunos insistan en definirlo como “Provincia de Ultramar”) durante siglos y durante la mayor parte de su historia, mientras que lo fue de la Unión Soviética entre 1959 y 1991, y en la actualidad casi una China...

Hay que dejar claro algo muy duro, difícil y doloros (algo que muchos o la mayoría dejan de lado y prefieren olvidar u ocultar)... España era, después de 1890, un país sumido en una profunda crisis, tanto interna como externa, un antiguo imperio decrépito, déil y azotado por la miseria; una especie de “pulpo” enfermo, con Cuba, Puerto Rico y Filipinas como los pocos tentáculos
que aún conservaba, lleno de corrupción, desorden, ineptitud y equivocado...

En 1898, durante al Guerra Hispano-Americana y hasta 1902, cuando los Estados Unidos invadieron Cuba, la isla se encontraba en una difícil y mala situación, sufriendo la falta de servicios esenciales, hospitales, carreteras y colegios... la mayor parte dela población nativa sufría el hambre y la falta de atención sanitaria y social. La mayor parte de todas las cosas estaba en malas condiciones y en peligro... Cuando los americanos invadieron el país comenzaron a “reparar” y resolver todos los problemas: construyeron muchos buenos hospitales, carreteras, escuelas y otras instalaciones durante esos cuatro años de ocupación abierta, hicieron lo que la denominada “Madre-Patria” no había hecho (¡ya que no era capaz de cuidar ni de su propia península!).

Como resultado, miles de “Gallegos” (gallegos, asturianos, catalanes, españoles del norte del país y canarios) emigraron a la por entonces restaurada, bien conservada y progresista isla, estableciendo y haciendo posibles las bases, desde 1910 a 1950, de la Habana de la que hablamos, de la desaparecida e inolvidable Habana pre-castrista (política aparte), trabajando afanosamente, muy duro, de forma inocente y amable, ahorrando, invertiendo sus beneficios en nuevas empresas e instalaciones...

¡Para mí está claro y es muy simple!
Muchas gracias,
jahf/xahf/Antón Huerta.
PUXA ASTURIES!
ABILIO

Post by ABILIO »

All I read about pre-Castro Cuba is exactly right and true, yet I am not going to talk about that. What I know is that after Castro it had been a disaster. There is no freedom, no food , no medicines, no hospitals, nothing, only slavery for the Cubans
But if you are foreigner you may still enjoy what the Pre-Castro Cuba was
(if you bring lots of Euros or dolars)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trans. Ana

Todo lo que he leído sobre la cuba pre-castrista es exacto y cierto, aunque no voy a pronunciarme sobre ello. Lo que sé es que después de Castro ha sido un desastre. No hay libertad, ni comida, ni medicinas, ni hospitales, nada, sólo esclavitud para los cubanos.
Pero si eres extranjero puede que disfrutes de lo que era la Cuba pre-castrista (si traes muchos euros o dólares)
Bob

Post by Bob »

I am not a big fan of Castro, but I see many faults in earlier dictatorships (and much in the involvement of the EEUU in a neighboring sovereign nation to begin with). I have good friends whose lives were made much worse by the Castro government (and who subsequently emigrated to the EEUU), and I have others whose lives were improved. What would be interesting to examine in detail is the role that the US embargo had on the life of the average cubano/cubana.

I'm taking no particular position on this, but I would love to hear what others think.
----------------------------------------------------
Trans. Ana

No soy un gran admirador de Castro, pero veo muchos errores en dictaduras previas (para empezar, muchos en la participación de los Estados Unidos en una nacón soberana vecina). Tengo amigos cuyas vidas empeoraron por culpa del gobierno castrista (y que, por consiguiente, emigraron a lo Estados Unidos), y tengo otros cuyas vidas mejoraron. Sería interesante estudiar en detalle cuál es el papel que el embargo estadounidense tuvo en la vida dl cubano/a medio/a.

No adopto ninguna postura particular al respecto, pero me gustaría oír lo que los demás tienen que decir.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

I have only spoken about the current situation in Cuba with one or two Cubans who still live there, but their comments were very supportive about their government. If they had anger toward anyone it was anger at the US's treatment of Cuba. These people have described positive contributions of the government in education and equality, in particular. Given all the negative publicity we hear about Cuba in the US, these conversations surprised me.

Now, obviously, many have left Cuba and are angry with Castro. That is also true.

There is not one simple "reality" because that reality depends on what one's own family experience has been.

------------------------

Solamente he hablado de la situación actual en Cuba con uno o dos cubanos que siguen viviendo allí, pero sus comentarios fueron muy favorables sobre su gobierno. Si hay ira contra alguien es una ira contra los EE.UU. por su tratamiento de Cuba. Estas personas han descrito contribuciones positivas del gobierno en la educación y la igualdad, en particular. Dando toda la publicidad negativa que oímos sobre Cuba en los EE.UU., estas conversaciones me sorprendió.

Pues, es obvio que muchos han salido de Cuba y están enfadados con Castro. Ésto también es cierto.

No existe una simple "realidad", ya que la realidad depende de la experiencia ha sido para su propia familia.
Anuska

Post by Anuska »

Hola a todos:

antonblimea: este tema me parece muy interesante y por eso he traducido los mensajes, para que los miembros del foro españoles que no dominan el inglés puedan leerlos. Puede que haya alguna cosa que quieras corregir de las traducciones que he hecho (con cierta prisa), así que corrige y cambia lo que creas oportuno.

Saludos,
Ana

-----------------------------------
Hi everyone,

antonblimea: I think this is a very interesting topic. That's why I've translated the messages, in order that Spanish members of the forum who don't master the English language, are able to read them. It may be that you want to correct something in the translations (I was a bit in a hurry when I translated them), so feel free to change what you want.

Best regards,
Ana
Raquel M

Cuba es............

Post by Raquel M »

Es dificil para un Cubano que viva fuera de Cuba comprender como
personas en diferentes partes del mundo, ignoran o desconocen lo que
sucede en Cuba.
Para aquellos como yo que nunca nos hemos ido en espiritu de Cuba,
podemos decir que Cuba duele. Cuba es una madre que esta presa,
destruida, pero alli esta, adolorida y violada, pero se mantiene. Cuba
significa mucho, Cuba es nuestra familia que no vemos, nuestras
amistades que aun mantenemos a pesar del tiempo y la distancia.
Cuba significa el familiar querido que perdimos y lloramos de lejos,
la llamada telefonica que hacemos con miedo al expresarnos, las
medicinas que religiosamente enviamos a familiares y a desconocidos.
La momia sigue viva en Cuba a pesar de 50 largos a#os ...ahora como
un reinado, el heredero aparenta ser el hermano, la Presidencia de
un pais heredada....todavia hay quien pregunta que sucede en Cuba?
que mas quieren?
Me maravilla las personas que se preguntan todavia sobre los gobiernos
de Cuba antes de 1959.....me maravilla todavia oir a las personas que
hablan de " los Americanos"..." los gringos" ..." los yanquis "......
me pregunto porque no hablan de " los rusos en Cuba "??? ( los
sovieticos ) por que no hablan de los Cubanos que fueron enviados
a pelear al Africa y regresaron a Cuba en cajas de madera selladas....
por que no hablan de los presos politicos de Cuba que fueron condenados
a prision por querer expresarse libremente.....
Cuba es un pueblo donde los ninos quieren ser extranjeros cuando
sean grandes....
Raquel M

Nota aclaratoria.....

Post by Raquel M »

Los Cubanos que viven en Cuba no se pueden expresar libremente
pues nunca se sabe quien los esta vigilando.....
JJMSC

Reply to Art's converation with one or two Cubans.

Post by JJMSC »

Please look at a speach by Lala Mooney given at the Heritage Foundation recently. She describes the real Cuba from her personal experiences. It can be found at the following web page: http://www.heritage.org/Events/2010/05/ ... ns-Network
JJMSC
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

There's an interesting film of Havana in the 1930s:
http://www.youtube.com/celtfestcuba#p/f/49/fEMYLkpYxX8
This is from the era of the Republic, long before Castro.

At this point in the video, there's a bit of jingoism, including a reference to American assistance in ending "the tyranny of Spain":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... xX8#t=327s

--------------------------

Hay una película interesante de La Habana en la década de 1930:
http://www.youtube.com/celtfestcuba#p/f/49/fEMYLkpYxX8
Esto es de la época de la República, muchos años antes de Castro.

En este momento del vídeo, hay un poco de patrioterismo, incluyendo una referencia a la ayuda estadounidense para poner fin a "la tiranía de España":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... xX8#t=327s

Return to “Immigrant Stories - Historias inmigrantes”