La Regenta in English

Poetry, novels, essays, etc.<br>
Poesía, novelas, ensayos, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Terechu

La Regenta in English

Post by Terechu »

If you're looking for a good novel set in Asturias, Leopoldo Alas Clarín's "La Regenta" is available in English at Penguin Books.
It is considered to be among the 10 best novels of all times, right up there with Madame Bovary and The Brothers Karamazov, and it has the added interest of being about Society in 19th Century Oviedo (Called "Vetusta" in the book). Much of Oviedo's historic district around the cathedral remains to this day as described in "La Regenta", spruced up and restored of course (too many geraniums probably), but basically the same old beautiful Oviedo.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Si estáis buscando una buena novela con Asturias como escenario, "La Regenta" de Leopoldo Alas (Clarín) se ha publicado en inglés en Penguin Books.
Está considerada como una de las 10 mejores novelas de todos los tiempos, junto con Madame Bovary o Los hermanos Karamazov, y tiene el interés añadido de tratar sobre la sociedad decimonónica de Oviedo ("Vetusta" en el libro). Gran parte del barrio antiguo en torno a la catedral sigue igual que en "La Regenta", por supuesto restaurado y adornado (demasiado geranio quizás), pero básicamente la misma bella Oviedo de antaño.
Bob

Post by Bob »

I think this is the same novel that was made into a movie about ten years ago. See http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0121678/ In any event, I'm ordering a copy for myself.
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

It is indeed the same, Bob. I saw the movie when it was released and found it a very good adaption, with an excellent cast. What I liked most (in addition to the wonderful Argentinian actor Héctor Alterio in the role of the Regent) was that it was shot on location around Oviedo's cathedral.
Bob

Post by Bob »

My copy of the book is on the way, but I haven't been able to find the movie. Netflix doesn't carry it.

In any event, thanks very much for the suggestion about the book.

Return to “Literature - Literatura”