Tell us your story!<br>
¡Dinos tu historia!

Moderator: Moderators

MJ
asturias_and_me:

MJ: Marby Jenkins (nee Lopez)

Post by MJ »

Hello everyone,

This is my introductory post. The MJ stands for Marby Jenkins (nee Lopez, though I am now divorced and need to remedy that last name situation). I live in the United States (in Florida but moving to Texas), my parents having come here from Cuba in the early 1960s. I speak Cuban Spanish fluently, though I do not write it well, and my grandparents were 1st and 2nd generation Cubans whose parents were from the Asturias region of Spain.

Almost. My great grandmother, I was just informed by my sister, was from the Canary Islands. However, the rest of my family was pretty much Asturian.

I grew up with a mixture of Cuban and Asturian customs, though it is only recently that I discovered that all those things weren't Cuban.

Anyhow, I am a veterinary technician and history buff. I love to write, and am just beginning the long, hard process of tracking my family tree. I have been reading through this site for several days, and am very happy to have joined at last.

That's me! :lol:

MJ
Art
Site Admin
asturias_and_me:

Post by Art »

Hi, Marby,

Welcome again!

You can send me your photo using the email at the bottom of any page in the site and I'll optimize it and add it to your profile. Then it will appear next to your messages.

--------------

Hola, Marby,

¡Bienvenido otra vez!

Puedes enviarme tu foto por el enlace a la parte de abajo de cada página del sitio y la optimizaré y pondré al perfil. Entonces aparecerá al lado de tus mensajes.
MJ
asturias_and_me:

Gracias!

Post by MJ »

Gracias, Art. I will do that. My sister is emailing me the photo I wish to use, as there are about two other people in it that she is going to crop out. In the meantime, I will email you the silly raccoon picture, which believe it or not, was not intentionally posed. The raccoon just reached up and kissed me!

Thanks again! :D

The other photo:

MJ
zancañeru
asturias_and_me:

Post by zancañeru »

Hi MJ, welcome to this forum. I feel very proud of being Asturian, though I was born in Mexico! As with many other Asturian people, I do not feel a conflict being Asturian, or Mexican or Spaniard. The good thing is that you could hold any passport but at the same time feel very Asturian.

Hola MJ, bienvenía a esti forum. Siéntome múi orgullosu de ser asturianu, pero nací en Méjico! Como munchos asturianos, nun tengo nengún conflitu siendo asturianu, mejicanu o español. Lo buenu é que pués tener cualesquier pasaporte yal mesmu tempu sintíte múi asturianu.

Your surnames Sanchez and Suarez are very common in Spain. But Tarano, that seems very Asturian. I know Tarano family in Eastern Asturias, actually in my village. They were several brothers, one is still alive, should be in his early late fifties, Angel Tárano (strees in first 'a'). Do you keep any document from your Asturian family? Any word, expression? May be the spelling (we have several dialects in Asturias) we can help you to trace your family in Asturias.

Los tos apellíos Sánchez y Suárez son múi comunes n'España. Pero Tárano, esi paez múi asturianu. Conozo a la familia Tárano n'Asturias oriental, amás nel miú pueblu. Eren varios hermanos, unu tovía vive, tendrá cincuenta y tantos años, Angel Tárano. ¿tiés dalgún documentu dela tó familia asturiana? Dalguna pallabra, espresión? Quiziás como escribiérase (tenemos varios dialetos n'asturianu) pué llevános a dar cola tó familia n'Asturias.
Jose Luis Celorio
MJ
asturias_and_me:

Tarano

Post by MJ »

Thank you for the warm welcome!

That's very interesting, as I have traced several Taranos to the Parres area of Asturias, and interestingly, my grandfather's name was Angel, though I think he removed any accents from his name upon arriving in America. It seems that my family was big on the medieval tradition of naming children after grandparents and parents. At this point, I have some addresses, but have not yet mailed the letters, as I am in the midst of moving out of state.

As for documents, I am working on digging up some church records from Llerandi right about now. I actually should be recieving many old pictures from the Asturian side of the family from one of my cousins, who grew up with my great-grandparents.

Tarano is pronounced with the stress on the first syllable, and my mother was quick to correct me on that the first time she heard me say it.

Any information, direction toward information, is always welcome, and appreciated greatly. :D
MJ
jackjericho
asturias_and_me:

Hello Marby!

Post by jackjericho »

I gather you don't really check this post anymore, but I figured I'd take a shot at trying to get in touch with you. It's Boris. We went to FIU together (both took Rogerson's & Nogle's philosophy classes).

Where did you disappear to? Are you still in Texas?

Return to “Introduction of Members - Presentación de miembros”