Fernandez & Alvarez from Spain migrated to LA and CA

Researching our ancestors in Asturias & America.<br>
Investigando nuestros antepasados en Asturias y America

Moderators: svgev, Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

yapper
asturias_and_me:

Fernandez & Alvarez from Spain migrated to LA and CA

Post by yapper »

I am seeking information about my Asturian ancestors. Here is what I have so far:

Joseph Manuel Fernandez
born August 23, 1843 in Aviles, Asturias, Spain
perhaps baptized? at St Martin de Pades? (possibly San Martin de Podes)
died October 17, 1921 buried in New Orleans, Louisiana

Father Andre Joseph Fernandez (possibly Andres Jose or Josef Fernandez)
Mother Maria Alvarez Bailla (possibly Alvarez-Buylla or Builla)

Below are photos of unidentified family members

Any further light that you can shed is appreciated!
thank you, Laurie

written on the back "Enero 21 de 1918"
We suspect this photo captured brother or nephew's family but names are unknown & initially we thought it was Fernandez but now realize it could be Alvarez?

*Update Mar 2013 * Embedded on back of photo is the following:
Galeria Art Fot
M.G. Alonso
Parque Retiro
Aviles Asturias
Perhaps this helps to narrow down photographer / studio?

Unknown relatives unknown date unknown if Alvarez or Fernandez?
Last edited by yapper on Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:22 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Art
Site Admin
asturias_and_me:

Post by Art »

Welcome, Laurie!

I've edited your message to include your photo. Please tell us what you know about the image.

---------------------------------

¡Bienvenida, Laurie!

He editado tu mensaje para incluir la foto. Dinos lo que sabes sobre la foto.
yapper
asturias_and_me:

Searching for Fernandez or Alvarez

Post by yapper »

Thanks so much for adding the photo Art!

More info on Joseph Manuel Fernandez from Spain:

We do not know when he came to America or how - whether he came directly from Spain or via another country? Whether he came alone or with family? Whether he came directly to New Orleans or via another port? We do know that he married Emma Andermann from St James parish on Sept 6th 1871 at St Michael's catholic church in Convent, LA. Emma's father (German immigrant) was a carpenter who helped build St Michael and we think that Joseph may have been a laborer who worked with him and that is how he met his wife. Records indicate that his father Andre was deceased at the time of his marriage but we do not know when he died.

Joseph and Emma had 7 children all born in New Orleans, Louisiana & some moved to California:
Rita
Emma
Leah (my maternal grandmother died before I was born)
She grew up in LA - lived in CA once married - came back to LA with my parents
Leonis
Joseph
Paul
George

Joseph died Oct 17, 1921 at charity hospital then was buried in St Louis cemetery #3.
Last edited by yapper on Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:48 am, edited 5 times in total.
yapper
asturias_and_me:

Fernandez in New Orleans

Post by yapper »

More information about the Fernandez family of Louisiana.

My grandmother Leah Marie Fernandez was born Mar 7, 1881 in New Orleans. She was baptized at St Mary's Italian catholic church. She attended grade school at McDonogh #9 and mass at St Rose de Lima catholic church. She married (introduced by her brother living in California) in 1924 in New Orleans then moved to San Francisco with her husband. They had one child - my mother who later married and took her back to Louisiana with my father. Leah died Sept 14, 1961 and was buried in Baton Rouge, LA.

Leah had 6 siblings all born in New Orleans
Rita born 1874
Emma Marie Fernandez born 1877 died 1903 buried in St Louis cemetery in New Orleans
Leo born 1884
Joseph born 1885
Paul born 1886
George born 1890

Leah was a city gal who spoke both Spanish and Parisian/formal French (in comparison to my other French acadian grandmother on my father's side from the country that spoke Cajun) Leah cooked Creole style such as fried plantains and plenty of rice.

Any further details that you can share about the Fernandez family of Louisiana is appreciated! thank you, Laurie
Photo taken 1912 Leah + parents + 4 brothers - missing 2 sisters
Last edited by yapper on Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:42 am, edited 10 times in total.
Art
Site Admin
asturias_and_me:

Post by Art »

Hi, Laurie,

I've moved your last message to your original thread. We don't allow multiple threads for the same topic because it makes it very difficult to follow what's happened. We also don't allow multiple posts with the same information because it just adds to the amount of reading someone has to do when searching for a topic.

I suspect that you're anxiously waiting for help. Unlike Facebook, a good forum is a long term project. You post your best information and hope someone eventually runs across it and contacts you via the forum. Here's a message that explains the kinds of information that will help:
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2409
yapper
asturias_and_me:

Post by yapper »

Good to know - thanks for helping out this "newbie" :P
Art
Site Admin
asturias_and_me:

Post by Art »

No problem! We need newbies to keep expanding our knowledge!
yapper
asturias_and_me:

Post by yapper »

More info on the Fernandez family in California:

Son Paul was the first to leave Louisiana and venture west seeking employment that coincided with the building of the Panama Pacific International Expo in San Francisco (1915). Other sons Leo, Joe, and George followed later by train. Paul married twice but had no children. The three brothers were confirmed bachelors.

Paul worked as waiter in various restaurants & ships. At some point, Joe & George moved to Los Angelos where they worked as house painter and store clerk.

Daughter Leah came to CA with her husband in 1924 and had 1 child
Claire born 1924 (married with 12 children) died 1985
They were parishioners of Mission Delores church in San Francisco

Daughter Rita married and had 2 children:
Ruby born 1898 (never married) died 1982
Joseph born 1912 died 1913

Two of the siblings are buried along with their mother at Holy Cross catholic cemetery in Colma, CA:
Leo died 1921
Emma died 1932
Rita died 1954

Unfortunately, the descendants of Fernandez family were from the maternal line so namesake does not continue into next generation :(
yapper
asturias_and_me:

Post by yapper »

I am wanting to locate birth record from 1843. In reading other posts, it appears that civil records do not exist prior to 1870? If so, rather than civil registry, I assume that I would need to go to the local parish church? I am hoping they would perhaps have baptismal info as well. Can someone give me the correct address for San Martin de Podes catholic church?

The euro seems to be a stronger currency than American dollar, therefore, what is a reasonable amount to include as a donation for the priest’s time? Based upon other posts, it is recommended to include return postage as well. Since I haven't had an opportunity to mail international letters before now, do I just purchase some type of international stamp from my local post office?

Thanks for your guidance in obtaining records - any other tips that you would like to share would be welcomed too! Laurie
Carlos
asturias_and_me:

Post by Carlos »

it appears that civil records do not exist prior to 1870?

Yes, you are right. Before 1871 the unique information source is the Catholic Church.
Can someone give me the correct address for San Martin de Podes catholic church?
Sorry, I have searched but not found this address. However you can write to the Avilés Archpriesthood, which includes the municipality of Gozón, where is situated San Martín de Podes:

Vicaría del Norte - Arciprestazgo de Avilés
A la atención de don Juan Manuel Suárez Menéndez, Arcipreste
Parroquia de San Martín de Laspra
33450 - PIEDRAS BLANCAS (Castrillón)
Asturias - Spain

International phone number: 00.34.985 53 02 72

The euro seems to be a stronger currency than American dollar, therefore, what is a reasonable amount to include as a donation for the priest’s time?

The currency is about 3 € = 4 $. It isn't obligatory to do a donation, but if you want to proceed in this manner I think perhaps 20-30 euros is a good donation, post taxes included.

Good luck.
yapper
asturias_and_me:

Post by yapper »

Muchas gracias Carlos :)

Since I only know a little Spanish, would you mind checking my translation of the letter that I plan to send?

Actualmente estoy trabajando en mi árbol genealógico y necesito una copia de nacimiento y el bautismo de Joseph Manual Fernandez, mi tatara-tatara-abuelo.

El nacimiento tuvo lugar alrededor de August 23, 1843 en Aviles, Asturias, Spain. Los nombres de sus padres fueron Andre Joseph Fernandez (quizás
Andres Jose or Josef Fernandez) y Maria Alvarez Bailla (quizás Alvarez-Buylla or Builla). Creo que su familia eran feligreses de San Martín de Podes.

En esta carta le adjunto un cheque por el costo de la investigación y la copia de los documentos, así como un sobre con sello incluido.

Muchas gracias de antemano por toda su ayuda y atención a mi solicitud
Carlos
asturias_and_me:

Post by Carlos »

Of course, Laurie, it's a pleasure:
Señor Arcipreste:

Actualmente estoy trabajando en mi árbol genealógico y necesitaría una copia del acta de nacimiento y bautismo de Joseph Manuel Fernández, mi tatara-tatara-abuelo.

El nacimiento tuvo lugar alrededor del 23 de agosto de 1843 en Avilés, Asturias, España. Los nombres de sus padres fueron André Joseph Fernández (quizás Andrés José o Josef Fernández) y Maria Alvarez Bailla (quizás Alvarez-Buylla or Builla). Creo que su familia eran feligreses de San Martín de Podes.

Como no consigo averiguar a quién solicitar dicha documentación en el propio San Martín de Podes, me dirijo a usted en busca de ayuda, ya que al parecer dicha parroquia se halla bajo su jurisdicción.

En esta carta le adjunto un cheque por las molestias derivadas de la gestión y los posibles gastos de la copia de los documentos, así como un sobre con sello incluido para la respuesta.

Muchas gracias de antemano por toda su ayuda y atención a mi solicitud.

Atentamente,

Laurie xxxxxxxx.....

Regards 8)
yapper
asturias_and_me:

Post by yapper »

Great - you are wonderful! I will try to get it mailed out before the end of the year. I am looking forward to 2012 as the year of discovery for my Spanish roots :wink:
Luiña
asturias_and_me:

Partida de Bautismo de´San Martín de Podes

Post by Luiña »

Buenas noches, Laurie

Esta mañana comprobé que la partida de Bautismo de José Manuel Fernández Alvarez Builla está en el Archivo Diocesano, pero no he podido conectarme hasta ahora.
Espero que aún no hayas enviado la carta a Avilés, de todos modos supongo que si llega a Avilés la remitirán al Archivo.

Nació el 21 de agosto de 1843 y fue bautizado el 22, su padre era Andrés y su madre María.

Te mando un e-mail con instrucciones por si quieres pedirla oficialmente. El importe es de 10 euros la partida en extracto (figura el nombre de los padres, los abuelos, los padrinos, la fecha y el nombre del sacerdote que lo bautizó) Si la partida es literal son 15 euros y -en ambos casos- 5 euros más si hay que legalizarla. El dinero se envía después de recibirla, los gastos de envío están incluidos y el pago desde U.S.A. se suele hacer a través de Western Union.

Carlos, ahora te pido yo el favor de traducírselo pues mi inglés es muy malo, aunque en el e-mail trataré de esforzarme y escribir en ese idioma.

Un saludo

---------------------
trans. Art

Good evening, Laurie,

This morning I found that the birth certificate of José Manuel Fernández Alvarez Builla is on file at the Diocesan Archives, but I could not connect to the internet until now.

I hope that you have not sent the letter to Aviles, but if you have, I suppose that once it arrives in Avilés, they'll send it to the archive.

He was born on August 21, 1843 and was baptized on the 22nd. His father was Andrew and his mother Mary.

I will send you an email with instructions if you want to ask officially. The cost is 10 Euros for a baptism certificate in extract form (containing the names of parents, grandparents, godparents, the date and name of the priest who baptized him). If you want a "literal" certificate [Art: I think it copies the document word for word], that costs 15 Euros, and -- in both cases -- there would be an additional 5 Euro fee if you want to legalize it. [Art: that's necessary if you intend to use it to ask for citizenship, for example.] The money does not have to be sent until after you receive the certificate. Shipping/postage is included and payment from the USA is usually done through Western Union.

Carlos, now I will ask you to do me the favor of translating because my English is very bad, although in the e-mail I will try to force myself to write in that language.

Best wishes!
Art
Site Admin
asturias_and_me:

Post by Art »

Laurie, you'll want to read the messages in this thread:
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1920
We're probably related distantly.

---------------------

Laurie, hay que leer los mensajes en este tema:
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1920
Es probable que estamos parientes lejanos.

Return to “Genealogy - Genealogía”