Punteros de práctica/flautas, método books, & CDs/DVD

Supported by ASUSA y AsturianUS.org<br />Contando con el apoyo de ASUSA y AsturianUS.org

Moderator: Moderators

Art
Site Admin
asturias_and_me:

Post by Art »

Okay, I'll order 20 recorders. I'm ordering them online and will use Carlos' instructions on making them into practice punteros. And if I'm not successful (although it's hard ot imagine how that would be because it looks easy) we can send them with Paul to Carlos.

I've also got to order a couple of things like drill bits in unusual sizes, but it's not too bad.
Art
Site Admin
asturias_and_me:

Post by Art »

Thanks for that offer, Bob. For now I think we're okay. I'll let everyone know the total cost after I get them made up and ready to mail.

If it all goes well, the total costs (for the recorders, postage, and a special jig and bits) should be about $10-12/recorder as Paul suggested.
Art
Site Admin
asturias_and_me:

Update on the practice punteros

Post by Art »

I have over half of the practice punteros ready. They're coming out well, just like the ones Carlos made for me a couple of years ago.

I've asked Alberto about whether we should combine the cost of the método (book), CDs, and punteros into one payment.

We'll report back soon about how to pay for the gear. It looks like we're about ready to go!
Art
Site Admin
asturias_and_me:

Post by Art »

Hello, gaiter@s,

I have punteros ready for everyone who wanted one. These are practice punteros adapted from plastic Hohner recorders, almost exactly like the one Carlos Moreno Garcia made for me several years ago. The cost including postage is $12 each. (I've corrected that amount. I had incorrectly reported the cost to be $15 earlier.)

I am having trouble copying the cassettes that go with the método that Alberto is preparing. The software I've tried is distorting the sound, so I'm going to buy a copy of Roxio Media Creator, which should do better. When we're done we'll have a set of CDs. There are a number of tunes on the tapes, so it's worthwhile.

Alberto has told me that the cost of copying, binding, and mailing the método will be about $15, although I think he's still checking on that cost.

We've considered offering the option of sending me one check for the whole bundle (puntero, método, and CDs), although each of them will have to be shipped separately. Let me know if you want to combine them and we'll figure out the total cost.

If you want a puntero now, feel free to send me a check or pay via PayPal. Email me using the email button below for more info (address, email address to use with PayPal, etc.). Please note that I have a free account with PayPal so I can not accept credit cards.

Abrazos, Art
Art
Site Admin
asturias_and_me:

Post by Art »

Okay.... completing the set of CDs/DVD to go with the Método has taken me a LONG time.

If you were thinking of buying Roxio's software "Easy Media Creator," you might want to reconsider. It's powerful, but very little about it is "easy" and the manual and help files are very little help. I've lost a good deal of sleep and a lot of my free time fighting with it.

4 CDS
The 4 CDs reproduce the material that was on the original cassettes. The DVD contains it all. When you view the CDs, because they aren't commercially made, you won't see a listening of the track titles and other album information, as you would with commercial CDs. That info is on the CDs, but most of the programs that read music CDs don't access that data. We'd have to register them with an online database for the album info feature to work.

1 DVD
That's why I've made a DVD. All of the materials on the CDs is on the DVD. If you pop the DVD into your computer or a DVD player attached to a TV, you'll have full access to the data and selection menus.

The 5 discs come in a single case that holds them all.

The Método (book)
Some of our members have said they'd prefer a digital copy of the book. I'm working with a member of a Cuban gaita band to see if we can get a copy of the Método (book) which has been scanned to a CD. I'm pretty sure that'll be cheaper than a paper copy. I'll let you know how this possibility works out.

Bob is still working out the details on the cost of the book that goes with the recordings.

Get your copy of the recordings now
I'm ready now to make copies for everyone who wants a copy of the recordings. They're very well done and include a number of the most popular traditional Asturian tunes. The cost for all 5 discs, including shipping, is $20 for the set. If you want to wait to order the whole thing (book, discs, punteru) all at once, that's fine, too.

The punteru
As I mentioned earlier, the cost of the punteru/practice chanter is $12.
Art
Site Admin
asturias_and_me:

Post by Art »

I'm writing to give an update on our situation.

Punteros
When I was in Asturies this fall, I talked with Carlos, Pedro Pangua, and Diego Pangua about our practice punteros. They are very usable as is, but they aren't perfectly in tune with themselves. Carlos says that the very highest notes aren't in tune because the original thumb hole on the recorder is too big. My understanding is that Carlos' design was simply meant to be good enough for practice, which it is. Carlos has suggested that I experiment with improving the intonation of the practice punteros by add some epoxy to the thumb hole and redrilling the hole. I'll be trying that soon.

Dayures CDs/DVD Sets
The CDs/DVD sets are essentially ready (I'll have to make more copies, though). These are made from the tapes that were originally sold with the book, La Gaita Asturiana: Método para su aprendizaje.

Dayures Método
The main hold up has been making copies of the Dayures método book, La Gaita Asturiana, which is out of print. (Both Alberto and Bob have understandably found that to be an overwhelming task.)

I am now researching whether I can make the copies here. The main problem will be getting hold of the original book by Inter-Library Loan.

I've found a business willing to copy it for us. They'd be on slightly heavier than normal paper, with covers (perhaps plastic) with binding (probably metal spiral). I don't have the exact price, but it appears to be in the ballpark of $15 per copy. Mailing will add a bit to that.

The Complete Set
I'm assuming that everyone who was interested earlier is still interested in receiving a set of the punteru, cds, and método. I'm estimating that the cost will be about $49 for the complete set, mailed.

Please let me know if you've changed your mind or if anyone new wants a set.

Financial Support
The Principado has expressed an interest in helping us with lessons, but normally works through a Centro Asturiano. There is only one official Centro Asturiano in the US in Tampa. (At least I think that's right.) Alberto, Tony, Bob, and I have been discussing our options and will let you know if we have any success.

Return to “Banda de Gaites USA”