The Asturias DNA Project

Researching our ancestors in Asturias & America.<br>
Investigando nuestros antepasados en Asturias y America

Moderators: svgev, Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

Celtica
asturias_and_me:

The Asturias DNA Project

Post by Celtica »

I recently started a dual (both mtDNA and Y-haplogroup) geographical DNA project at Family Tree DNA for those of Asturian heritage. http://www.familytreedna.com/public/Ast ... fault.aspx

Currently, we only have three Y-DNA samples (including myself). Anyone who has had either one of their chromosomes sequenced -and the ancestry associated with that chromosome can be traced to Asturias- is strongly encouraged to join.

Also, for those who may have any X or Y-line ancestry traceable to Cantabria, I am also administrator of the Cantabria DNA Project. http://www.familytreedna.com/public/Can ... fault.aspx

I've also recently taken the plunge into autosomal testing through 23andMe. They offer some very interesting features, for those exploring far more comprehensive areas of their genetic composition -that transcend the limitations of the deep ancestry associated with X/Y haplogroups. If anyone here is on there and wants to share compare data, my order should be processed in a matter of weeks.
Villamil
asturias_and_me:

Post by Villamil »

I've always been interested in this kind of studies, but they're quite expensive. According to the results of the Y-DNA Test one of the samples is J2 whose existence in Asturies is almost null, at least if the wiki articles on J2 is correct. I find this result highly interesting. I'd really like to know mine! :lol:
Celtica
asturias_and_me:

Post by Celtica »

Hi Villamil.

I agree that genetic testing can be rather expensive; particularly if you're looking for some comprehensive insights into your genetic profile -i.e. a haplogroup assignment that will incorporate subclades, etc. or tests of an autosomal nature.

For example, the cost the Y-DNA tests that would bear out minute details one might desire -subclade and a robust number of DYS values- can easily exceed $300. And remember, that's only one haplogroup. If you're willing to forgo that and just settle for a standard haplogroup test -no subclade and only 12 DYS values- you purchase such for about $119 at Family Tree DNA (http://www.familytreedna.com/) and $99.95 at the Genographic Project (https://genographic.nationalgeographic. ... index.html). [I would personally recommend ordering through one of those companies. Each test essentially offers the same service, with minor differences. FTDNA, for example, includes a little high-quality certificate. The Genographic Project is a few dollars cheaper and does not offer any upgrades; but does allow you to transfer your sample to the FTDNA lab for upgrades, free of cost.]

So, if you're willing to content yourself with a simple Y-DNA test, devoid of subcalde, I would recommend pursuing that route. If, however, you want a great deal of information such as both your paternal & maternal haplogroup assignments; autosomal information that would provide you with a far more comprehensive picture of your overall ancestry -through ancestry painting, global similarity information and 'relative finders'- health information, etc. I would suggest you consider you saving your money for something like 23andMe, which includes all of those services for $500. The only thing I am unsure of is whether or not their Y-Haplogroup testing provides you with your DYS values -I suspect it does, but cannot confirm this. It does provide a subclade assignment, however.

If you simply want to know if you're Y-Haplogroup R1b, I, E1b1b1, J1/J2, G, etc. there is no need to bother with all the other costly services.

In terms of J2's presence in Asturias, I have come across studies that clearly identify it amongst the general population; though no study that I have come across has yet quantified its presence in the region adequately enough -due to the fact that the level of samples which are extracted from the region are never great, as Asturias seldom has such studies devoted exclusively to itself.

I would attribute its presence in the region primarily to Roman contributions, though Phoenician, Sephardic, etc. contributions are possible.
Rvega
asturias_and_me:

Asturian Genetic Markers - DNA Testing

Post by Rvega »

Here is some information I saved about DNA testing that you might find usefull.

1. Response from Word Families Network
2. My letter to T. Barton (World Families Network)
3. Asturian DNA Testing - Pedro Gómez Gómez, from "The Asturians," a collective work published by the newspaper, La Nueva España.

===============================================

Hi Robert. First, my apologies for the delay. I have gotten way behind.

yDNA testing should be helpful to you - but that is a function of who tests and how far back their paper trails are. My Barton pedigree is back to 1678, but I learned where in England my Bartons came from and found many genetic cousins.

Folks who recruit the families they expect to match to test with them get answers sooner than those who wait for their match to come along - but both usually work over time.

The article you included doesn't really fit into anything I know. I expect that you would learn more than they describe.

Here are the yDNA kit choices:

Which Test: if you are trying to match to a different surname without a paper trail - I always recommend 37 markers.

If you know the surname you should match, you can probably get by with 25 markers.

I also tell folks that if they are serious about their genealogy - that they will end up with at least 37 markers.

You can go in steps, upgrading a bit at a time - or buy the markers all at once. Prices:
12 markers $99
25 markers $148
37 markers $189
67 markers $269

Upgrades from one test to the next are $49. (37 to 67 is a two step increase and is $99) I hope this gives you the info you need to make the decision from your knowledge of your finances and interest.

Posting your pedigree at the Forum could help you find other researchers from your family:

Project 6 Page Website:
http://www.worldfamilies.net/surnames/v/vega/

Pedigree Forum:
http://www.wfnforum.net/index.php?topic=233.0

Best regards, Terry Barton
World Families Network
Where Genealogy meets DNA Testing
http://www.worldfamilies.net/

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, October 03, 2006 10:45 PM
To: richb@bartons.org; terry@bartons.org
Subject: DNA testing

Hello,

My name is Robert Vega.
I ran across your Web Site and found it interesting.

I have my "Vega" family genealogy documented back to Juan De La Vega
who was married to Isabel González living in Fontanina, Asturias, Spain
both born Abt. 1770. My grandparents immigrated to the US in the early
1900's as did many other Asturianos.

Since I have several hundred years of my family genealogy documented,
would DNA testing be very useful in my case?

I see there are different levels of testing which yield more (Markers) information.

I included an article below and if I understand it, testing won't yield much more then being in one of the most common know two groups:
AH7.1 (HLA-A3/B7/DR15) or HLA-A11/B27/DR1 of that area.

Your insight would be appreciated.

Many thanks,
Robert Vega

===============================================

Asturian Genetic Markers

A study made on polymorphisms of HLA and DNA in a sample of 117 Asturians does not show significant differences at the allelic level with peninsular or European populations, even though there were certain divergences for the allele HUMTHO1 between Asturian and other peninsular populations (Marco et al., 1992).

The studies of genetic markers of the HLA at level of haplotypes have been more significant. Among the haplotypes present in the Asturian population, the dominant one is AH7.1 (HLA-A3/B7/DR15), which is very frequent also in Galicia, the south of Great Britain, and Ireland; the AH44.2, which is typical of the Atlantic regions; AH18.1, which is common in the Mediterranean; and the AH8.1, which is frequently found in Central European regions and Scandinavia. Other haplotypes, like the one formed by HLA-A11/B27/DR1, which is typical of Basque population, are also relatively common in Asturias. Other DNA markers that are not as polymorphic [having various forms or styles] as the previous ones show a similar distribution, even though not so marked as in the case of the HLA. A study made with 5 STR shows a distribution in Asturias similar to that published by Carracedo et al. in the Galician population (A. Lopez, 2004).

The matching of the dominant haplotype AH7.1 (HLA-A3/B7/DR15) in Asturias and its high frequencies, also, in Galicia, Ireland and the south of Great Britain, seems to indicate a degree of communication and genetic interchange in this area, which corresponds to a Celtic cultural matrix/structure, even though this cultural entity/identity may not necessarily entail a racial entity/identity, and it would be necessary to investigate what is going on with many other markers (...)

Author: Pedro Gómez Gómez, in "The Asturians," a collective work published by the newspaper, La Nueva España.
Itinerantscribe
asturias_and_me:

DNA Study University of Oviedo--Estudio de ADN

Post by Itinerantscribe »

Hi Folks,
For those of you interested in testing your Asturian DNA, the University of Oviedo, dept of Anthropology is conducting a study of the population of Asturias. I don't know if they are still taking volunteers for testing but their website is: http://www.unioviedo.es/antropologiafis ... genet.html
Regards,
Maria Krane
Florida, USA

------------------

Hola a Todos.
Para los interesados en ADN, la universidad de Oviedo esta conduciendo un estudio de ADN de la poblacion Asturiana. No se si todavi estan buscando a voluntarios que quieran donar su ADN pero aqui tienen la direccion web: http://www.unioviedo.es/antropologiafis ... genet.html
Saludos,
Maria Krane
Florida, EU
Art
Site Admin
asturias_and_me:

Post by Art »

That's interesting. I've written to them to see if they want volunteers.

-------------------------

Muy interesante. Les he escrito para averiguar si quieren voluntarios.
Art
Site Admin
asturias_and_me:

Post by Art »

La respuesta muy completa:
Antonio Fernández Pardiñas wrote:Efectivamente, en la Universidad de Oviedo hemos empezado recientemente un estudio para conocer el origen genético de la población asturiana, y buscamos voluntarios para donar el ADN. No sé si a usted le interesaría pero por si acaso le comento como trabajamos:

Todo voluntario debe ser descendiente de abuelos asturianos. En el caso de las mujeres, es la abuela materna la que debe ser asturiana obligatoriamente. En el caso de los hombres, son válidos tanto aquellos que tengan el abuelo paterno asturiano como los que tengan la abuela materna asturiana. Esto es así por los marcadores genéticos que deseamos mirar.

Para extraer el ADN de una persona sólo necesitamos que esta frote el interior de su mejilla con un bastoncillo (como se puede ver en series como C.S.I.). A la gente que vive en sitios alejados de Asturias, donde no podemos desplazarnos personalmente, le enviamos un kit por correo que incluye el bastoncillo y un tubo para almacenar la muestra. Luego esa persona, si desea colaborar, sólo tiene que reenviarnos el kit y nosotros analizaremos su muestra.

Por cómo está diseñado este estudio, y por cumplir las leyes bio-éticas españolas y europeas, todos los resultados han de hacerse completamente anónimos. Es decir, si usted donara su muestra estaría contribuyendo a la investigación final, pero nosotros no podríamos decirle nada de esa muestra. Por supuesto, sí le avisaríamos cuando se publicase el estudio y le responderíamos todo aquello que nos preguntara, dentro de nuestras posibilidades.

Espero que esta información le sea útil. He estado mirando el foro del que usted es moderador y me ha parecido una iniciativa estupenda. Si usted o alguno de sus miembros deseara más información, podemos enviársela por e-mail. Si directamente quisiera colaborar con nosotros, podemos enviarle el kit por correo postal.

Gracias por su interés. Reciba un cordial saludo,
Antonio Fernández Pardiñas
Área de Antropología Física
Departamento de Biología de Organismos y Sistemas
Universidad de Oviedo

P.D: No sé si la habrá consultado ya, pero el área de Antropología Física tiene una página web donde aparece algo de información sobre lo que hacemos:
http://www.uniovi.net/antropologiafisica/
¡Muchas gracias a Antonio!

Return to “Genealogy - Genealogía”