Looking for Ancestors and Cousins

Researching our ancestors in Asturias & America.<br>
Investigando nuestros antepasados en Asturias y America

Moderators: svgev, Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

Raymond Muñiz

Looking for Ancestors and Cousins

Post by Raymond Muñiz »

Both of my paternal grand parents emigrated from Spain in the early part of the century. Although they have been dead for nearly 40 years I remember my Abuela telling me many stories of Spain when I was a young child. I am not certain of the birthplace of my Abuela however I believe she was born near Piedras Blancas in 1896 and immigrated to this country through Ellis Island around 1910. Family lore has it that they financed the trip after winning the lottery. Her Maiden name was Maria Gonzalez and after landing at Ellis Island the family moved to and settled in St. Louis Mo. Sometime around 1915 she married her first husband Enrique Menendez, who was a world-class soccer player. He died of TB sometime around 1925.

My Abuelo, Florentino Fermin Muñz, was born In Piedras Blancas in 1892 and immigrated to this country sometime around 1908. There are still many relatives living in this region who have remained in touch with my family. How my Abuelo entered this country is not clear. Some say that he came via Cuba others say he may have come via Ellis Island. He and his brother Dan Muñiz who came over around 1906 settled in Mannington WV. Dan never married or had children. As a child I can remember my aunts visiting other relatives in the Mannington area. I only remember 2 names they are Jess and Lillian. I am not sure of the last names. I know Jess worked in the mines around the area. I am not sure if my Aunts or Uncles have had any contact with these relatives since the 1970’s

I am not sure of the route but my Abuelo eventually settled in Fairmont City IL. Which is located across the river from St. Louis. Many Spaniards settled in and around Fairmont to work in the Zinc Plant. He married my Abuela around 1928 in E. St. Louis
I believe that he was the first President of the union that represented the works of the American Zinc plant in Fairmont city. He was also a very vocal and active support of the anti fascist movement and gave strong support to the Lincoln Brigades.

If any one can give me insight on how to trace My Abuela’s family back to her birthplace or if there are any relatives of my Abuelo that derive from the Mannington WV area please let me know. I would also love to learn his exact route of entry into this country.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Hello, Raymond, and welcome to the forum!

Have you seen this post: http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=220#220? It mentions Enrique Menendez. You're possibly related to Marlene Menendez Suarez, one of our members (username: mdhsuarez)!

Also in the post:
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=639#639 she talks about family names you're interested in.

There may be other posts, too, which you can find if you do a search on the names or other key words.
mdhsuarez

Post by mdhsuarez »

Hi cousin.....glad to see you've joined the board. You need to post your paella recipe. We have to get together with Tia Adele and make her read some of these posts...she will probably recognize some of the WV connections.

Marleen
Marleen Menendez Suarez

Return to “Genealogy - Genealogía”