Spanish Civil War Refugees in the U.S.

Retelling the stories of the Asturian-American migration.<br>
Recontando las historias de la emigración astur-americana.

Moderators: Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

Sweeney
asturias_and_me:

names

Post by Sweeney »

Dear Corsino:

I used www.infobel.com to find addresses of people in Europe. Just click onto Spain and follow the directions.

I think you will have an easier time finding the relatives of the refugees with the less common names. For example: I only found a handful of people in Spain with the surname Ribares. There were only 7 people in Barcelona with the name Abadie and only two people with the name Llerandi living in Llanes, Spain.

Good luck with your search! 8)
Donna
Carlos
asturias_and_me:

Answer from Asturias Republicana

Post by Carlos »

Hi all.

Today I have had an answer from Marcelo Laruelo, the writer and webmaster of Asturias Republicana:

SALUDOS.

NO FUI CAPAZ DE ENTRAR EN EL FORO POR PROBLEMAS DE CONEXIÓN...
SI TU ESTÁS EN CONTACTO CON ELLOS PUEDES INDICARLES LA DIRECCIÓN DE MI CORREO ELECTRÓNICO PARA LO QUE NECESITEN Y SE PUEDA CONSEGUIR.

NADA MÁS.

MUCHAS GRACIAS Y UN ABRAZO.

MARCELO.

Translation:

REGARDS.

I WAS NOT CAPABLE OF ENTERING THE FORUM BECAUSE OF PROBLEMS OF CONNECTION...
IF YOU ARE IN TOUCH WITH THEM YOU CAN INDICATE THEM MY E-MAIL ADDRESS FOR ANY THING WHAT THEY NEED AND I COULD OBTAIN.

NOTHING MORE.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH AND AN EMBRACE.

MARCELO.

And this one is his e-mail address:

mlraldebaran (@) telecable (dot) es
Corsino
asturias_and_me:

Post by Corsino »

Sweeney,
Boy, that website could be a great help. I tried it for a little while to get the "hang" of it, and it's very interesting. Thanks.

Corsino
Corsino
asturias_and_me:

Post by Corsino »

Carlos,
Thanks for the e-mail address of Marcelo Laruelo. I sent him a short e-mail message in Spanish just to introduce myself and to find out if he can read English. I hope he can understand enough of my awful Spanish!!!

Corsino
Corsino
asturias_and_me:

Post by Corsino »

UPDATE...

We ( mostly Donna Sweeney ) are making good progress in locating Spanish refugees in the U.S.

Unfortunately, Eusebio Giron is listed having died in 2000.

Jose Ribares lives in Naples, Florida.
Antonio Ribares ( now Antonio Harrison ) lives near Lafayette, Indiana.

Corsino.
Art
Site Admin
asturias_and_me:

Post by Art »

Corsino has two photos of himself as a child. The first was taken in Le Havre in 1938. He's standing on the far right in the middle row.

The second is of the group of Spanish refuge kids in 1942 in the Bronx, New York, probably at the Edwin Gould Foundation(name is uncertain), on Stillwell Ave. Corsino is in the middle row all the way to the left.

There are also other images in the photo album of his trip to Asturias in 1996 and of his Asturian family.

----------
translated by Art & Reverso

Corsino tiene dos fotos de él como un niño. El primero fue sacado en El Havre en 1938. Él está de pie completamente al derecho en el fila medio.

El segundo es del grupo de niños refugiados españoles en 1942 en el Bronx, Nueva York, probablemente en la Fundación Edwin Gould (el nombre es incierta), en Stillwell Ave. Corsino está en la fila media totalmente a la izquierda.

Hay también otras imágenes en el álbum de fotos de su viaje a Asturias en 1996 y de su familia asturiana.
jomaguca
asturias_and_me:

Post by jomaguca »

Qué fotos más preciosas y qué bien conservadas se conoce qué Corsino las tuvo bien guardadas como si fueran un tesoro y desde luego qué lo consiguió, desde mi humilde opinión enhorabuena a Corsino por sú tesoro. :lol:
Corsino
asturias_and_me:

Post by Corsino »

Art and Jomaguca-
Art, you did a great job with those photos.....they look better than the originals !

Jomaguca- Yes, it surprises me that I managed to save some old photos, particularly the one taken in 1938. As you can see, I was 8 years old at the time, and in the following four years moved four times to other parts of France. I don't even remember having a suitcase.

Corsino.
Terechu
asturias_and_me:

Post by Terechu »

What wonderful pictures, Corsino! You were a cute little boy, much like my mom's brothers when they were little (we are from the Nalón valley, also, from Sotrondio and Blimea, 5 km downriver from Laviana). Speaking of Laviana, the photo of Sandra and her friends can only have been at the "Descenso folkórico del Nalón", that crazy river festival where everybody tries to get from Puente d'Arcu to La Chalana on board the strangest contraptions they can build. It's the funniest summer event in all of Asturias!

-------------------------------------
Qué fotos tan preciosas, Corsino. Eras un niño muy rico, muy parecido a los hermanos de mi madre cuando eran pequeños (nosotros somos del valle del Nalón también, de Sotrondio y Blimea, 5 km río abajo de Laviana).
Hablando de Laviana, la foto de Sandra y sus amigos sólo puede ser del Descenso Folklórico del Nalón, esa fiesta tan loca donde todo el mundo intenta bajar desde Puente d'Arcu hasta La Chalana en los artilugios más extraños que puedan construir. Es el acontecimiento más gracioso del verano en toda Asturias.

Saludos
Terechu
Corsino
asturias_and_me:

Post by Corsino »

Terechu
Yes, I was a cute little boy and I haven't changed a bit, ha, ha !!!

You are correct about the name of the festival in Pola de Laviana. My grandniece Sandra, who lives across the river in Carrio, participates in it every year. She, and all other youngsters, disguise themselves in various costumes and have a big parade down main street. One of the highlights is
the actual floating of rafts down the Rio Nalon. The water is only a couple of feet deep and strawn with boulders, so they literally push the rafts downstream. I had a photo in my computer of them doing this, but it somehow vanished. If Sandra sends me another copy, maybe I can get Art to put it on this forum.

Corsino
jomaguca
asturias_and_me:

fotos

Post by jomaguca »

Corsino, por favor tratemete de tú , tiene unas fotos preciosas de sú familia ,es qué de verdad las fotos de los niños son preciosas ,aunque no sé cuál es Ud. :? no entiendo muy bien la explicación qué da Art.saludos
Terechu
asturias_and_me:

Post by Terechu »

José Manuel, Art puso la traducción debajo de las fotos. En la primera foto Corsino es el crío que está a la derecha del todo de la fila del medio y en la segunda foto está a la izquierda del todo de la fila del medio.

Terechu
jomaguca
asturias_and_me:

Post by jomaguca »

A ver si me entero en la 1ª foto es él niño qué está delante de un señor de traje y en la 2ª es el niño qué tiene el brazo en la cintura ó es el de la otra esquina qué tiene los brazos detrás. :?
Terechu
asturias_and_me:

Post by Terechu »

En la primera es el que tiene a un señor detrás y en la segunda está al otro lado, con una camisa blanca.
jomaguca
asturias_and_me:

Post by jomaguca »

Ya veo qué no saliste de casa ,ahora sí qué me enteré .gracias

Return to “Immigrant Stories - Historias inmigrantes”