Can I Claim Spanish Nationality?

Asturian cultural identity, Spanish nationality, & return to Asturias: legal, social, & personal aspects.<br>
Identidad cultural asturiana, nacionalidad española, y regreso a Asturias: cuestiones legales, sociales, y personales.

Moderator: Moderators

Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Wow. That´s worse than I had imagined. It´s a good thing you were on top if it! Thanks again for the clarification.
MariaA

Post by MariaA »

Manuel,

This "complaint department", is it part of the NYC Consulate ?

I am now in the process of getting a "corrected" birth certificate for myself in Cuba since the first one I got a year ago didn't detail my parents' city of birth. That's the excuse the Consulado Español in Cuba used for not approving my application. In October it's going to be a year I presented the documents in the CE in Puerto Rico but they didn't advise that there was something wrong with my file until late June.
Manuel A Gonzalez

Post by Manuel A Gonzalez »

All Consulados should have Departament that deals with complaints. You need to push and push!!
Manuel Gonzalez Lopez
From Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
mother from Naveces (near airport in Asturias)
father from Taborneda (above Aviles)
Charolette

Post by Charolette »

Art, have you heard anything yet? We are at 10 months and I haven't heard a word! I have sent 2 emails, the first in February and another 2 weeks ago, and have not recieved any replies!
I was planning on going back to the consulate in June but its beginning to look like that won't happen since it takes awhile to get an appointment.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Yep, I've got exactly the same story here. I was looking for my paperwork last month so I could call them, but have been so busy I've not gotten back to that!

(By the way, several of the Padrón peppers have sprouted. I've put a heat pad under the tray in case that'll help.

You can follow the Pimientos de Padrón topic here:
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3885)
Last edited by Art on Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Manuel A Gonzalez

nationality

If you the both of you do not start getting on their backs, they will not move on your case. I had to almost scream at them, and I filed a formal complaint after they lost my father's birth ceritficate. I e-mailed first every week for a month, then I called, and finally I just starting screaming. I finally spoke to the Vice-Consul and he helped us. We went back to do my nieces, and they started with the same nonsense. I demanded to speak to her supervisor, filed another complaint, and we finally received her paperwork also. There seems to be some problem....
Manuel Gonzalez Lopez
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Manuel, do you think the problem would be in the local consulate/embassy or back in Madrid?

-----------------

¿Manuel, piensas que el problema sería en el consulado/embajada o en Madrid?
Manuel A Gonzalez

The local consulates!!
Manuel Gonzalez Lopez
Suronda
Co-Founder

Citizenship - At beginning Stages

Post by Suronda »

Hi Folks: My father and I are well on our way. Last document, naturalization papers, are on their way this week. Any advice for getting appointments, or getting a response after the appointment? I also wonder if you've heard anything.
Bob

Dual Citizenship

Post by Bob »

Hi Suronda,

I applied at the Spanish conculate in Manhattan on January 4. My documentation was acceptable. They forwarded the papers to the consulate in Loa Angeles (the closest one to where I was born. I have heard nothing since.

Bob
Suronda
Co-Founder

Update on Documents

Post by Suronda »

Hi Bob (GREAT!!! to see you here): Can you give me a rundown of the appointment with the NYC Consulate? Also, what documents did you have (and what originals did you really need?) Thanks! Un abrazo, primo!
Bob

Documents

Post by Bob »

I had copies of my grandparents birth certificates, my father's birth certificate, my birth certificate, my grandparents naturalization certificates (they were both still Spanish citizens when my father was born - important), and various and sundry other documents such as my parents' wedding license. I hope this helps.

Bob
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Yes, it is very good to have Bob back on board!

When I visited the consulate in DC, the official indicated that I needed all of these documents:
  • a certified copy of my birth certificate with apostille (from the state that issued the birth certificate)
  • certified copies of both of my parents' birth certificates, without apostille
  • my grandfather's birth certificates, which has apostille but I don't know if it was needed
  • a certified copy of my parents' marriage certificate, without apostille
  • my grandfather's naturalization papers, not a copy but an "original" (I think that means a certified copy from the National Archives. I don't think it needs an apostille, but I'm not sure.)
  • an application form filled out in duplicate
  • my driver's license
  • my passport
  • my grandparents' marriage certificate (I'm not sure that's necessary, but I provided it.)
Bob seems to have gotten by with old (original) documents, which made his task a lot easier. In my case, at least some of them had to be less than one year old.

The main people they're interested in are you, your Asturian parent's father (one of your grandfathers) and your Asturian parent. (I don't think grandmothers are accepted under this law, but mothers are.)

I also needed to bring two photocopies of each document for the consulate to keep. I was given the originals to take home, except (as I recall) my US birth certificate.

There was no mention of translations. I'm not completely sure about the apostille, but I think I've listed what the DC consulate wanted.

If the names on documents don't match, I think you need more evidence that the documents are for the same person. This is a common problem. I've had to send forms petitioning for corrections on a number of the documents.

For the naturalization papers, you ask in the regional office of the National Archives that handles the state your grandfather was in when he got naturalized. If it was NY State, there's a National Archives in NYC:
http://www.archives.gov/northeast/nyc/
Here's NY's phones: 866-840-1752 or 212-401-1620

If it was WV, you'd ask the Philadelphia office, which I was able to call in order to place my order and pay by credit card.
http://www.archives.gov/midatlantic/public/
I think the phone number was: 215-606-0100

To request a naturalization document, you need to know the person's name at the time of naturalization, the approximate date of naturalization, and the location of where they were living. I had the petition number, which seemed to help.

Important: You need a *certified copy* of the naturalization documents. It'll come with a ribbon holding the several pages together.
Charolette

Post by Charolette »

I talked to the consulate in San Francisco today. They said that everything was okay with my file and that they were still waiting for it to come back.

The lady I talked to said that they had so many applications that it was just taking a long time. She said that it could actually take a couple more months!

I was hoping to go back to San Francisco in June to apply for my passport.

It would be great to have it all done before we go to Spain this fall.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Thanks for the update, Charolette!

By the way, the Padrón peppers are doing great so far.

Return to “Identity, Nation, Return - Identidad, país, vuelta”