I Need Help: World Culture Day Project

If you can't figure out where else to post, say it here.<br>
Si no sabes dónde poner tu tema, pongalo aquí.

Moderator: Moderators

Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Gracias por fijar este enlace, Mafalda. Es una página interesante de términos de la comida asturiana.

-------------------

Thanks for posting that link, Mafalda. It's an interesting page of Asturian vocabulary words related to foods.
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

As a young boy in Ziesing (Spelter), I remember the men of the town joking with each other about the towns they were from. There were times when the joking got loud. I just loved to listen to them. They never said that the towns that they were from were in Asturias; they would always say Spain. If you just think about it, the only one there that didn't know about Asturias was me.
Barbara Alonso Novellino

Post by Barbara Alonso Novellino »

I have to mention two things:

As a child, and then as an adult, I always remember my Dad saying he was from Asturias. He was very proud of that fact.

My Grandaughter has to make a very large poster with facts, etc. about Spain. In the middle of this poster, without prompting from me, she put My Family Pictures and then Asturias. I thought that was very interesting that she picked up that we were from Asturias and not just Spain.

The pictures she is using are of my Grandmother and Grandfather that are in the Photo Album...thanks to Xose. I also have those pictures tucked away in an album...but finding them in the website made things easier for me.

Thanks to everyone who has helped us with this project. She told her teacher that I belonged to a website Asturian American Migration Forum and she was sure I would be able to get some great ideas for her project.

Again, Muchas Gracias...
:P
Barbara
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Barbara
I never said that the men were not proud. What I said was that by using the name of their hometowns they were referring to Asturias. The only one that didn't know that was me. Any other joking they did with each other they would say "Spain." They were all proud and strong men, and I count my self as one of the lucky who knew them.
Barbara Alonso Novellino

Ron,

I am sorry...I wasn't making a comment about anything you said...just that my Dad always referred to himself as an Asturiano.

Barbara
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

Ron Gonzalez wrote:As a young boy in Ziesing (Spelter), I remember the men of the town joking with each other about the towns they were from. There were times when the joking got loud. I just loved to listen to them. They never said that the towns that they were from were in Asturias; they would always say Spain. If you just think about it, the only one there that didn't know about Asturias was me.
Ron, I believe it was normal and logical for the men to mention Spain, it was the same with us when we lived in Germany. We traveled to Spain every summer and we talked about going to Spain and what we had to buy for our trip home to Spain, etc. while we were still in Germany. Only after we had crossed the French-Spanish border at Irún and actually entered Spain, did we start talking about Asturias, how many hours till we reached Asturias, would we stop to each lunch on the way or wait until we got to Asturias, and so on. The moment we crossed the bridge over the Tina Mayor river at Unquera and entered Asturias, we then started talking of my father's hometown, Ribadesella, which was always our first stop in Asturias.
Xose

Post by Xose »

Ribadesella is one of the most beautiful towns I've been to.... :D
Chris
Translator

Post by Chris »

Xose wrote:Ribadesella is one of the most beautiful towns I've been to.... :D
si señor estuve cuando les piragues y tener playa para dormir la mona..... bueno ese paseo que tenen muy bonito :)
Barbara Alonso Novellino

UPDATE....

Today was my Grandaughter's presentation for World Culture Day...Thursday is the presentation for the students, parents, teachers and Priests. Then her country board will be on display...along with brochures, artifacts and food. She is bringing in Arroz con Pollo and Flan. I'll let you know how that all goes.

About her Presentation today...

She received an E+...the highest mark given. She spoke about Spain very eloquently and explained all the facts that she had compiled. The teacher gave them guidelines on what was required on their Country Board. I want to THANK everyone who recommended websites, etc. We used a lot of the pictures...along with the pictures of my Grandparents taken on their farm in Asturias. I thank Xose for that...I have them tucked away somewhere but it was so easy just to print them off the website.

Bob, I want to thank you for the websites and the e-mail addresses of the Tourist Bureau, etc. I e-mailed them and we received about 12 large posters of different areas of Spain, including Asturias. These posters are what you would see at a Travel Agency. Then, from another source we received colorful booklets from various Cities...a large map...and a book of things of interest in Spain.

It all came together...and it was wonderful that my 12 year old Grandaugher was able to speak about her family who came to the USA from Asturias.

Incidentally she takes Spanish in her school and is carrying a E average. I spoke to the Teacher who was born in Cuba...its strange because we don't speak Spanish at home anymore. I guess its in her genes because it all comes very easy to her.

Again...Muchas Gracias

Barbara Alonso Novellino
Bob

Post by Bob »

I am very happy that your granddaughter had a successful presentation, and that our members were able to provide useful information. Please give her my best, and tell her that I am proud of her.

Maybe she would enjoy posting something on the website about her experience in learning about Asturias and learning Spanish.

Is she making the arroz con pollo herself?
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

That's great, Barbara!

I can remember studying the Spanish Tourism pamphlets, one for every province, and wishing I could visit them all. I wonder if Spaniards realize how beautiful the country is?

---------------------
¡Estupendo, Barbara!

Recuerdo estudiando los folletos de Turismo Español, uno para cada provincia, y deseando que podría visitar todos. ¿Me pregunto si los españoles se dan cuenta de la belleza del país?
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

What a nice experience for your grandaughter (and her grandmother :D )!
Especially how she got all those tourist leaflets, which are usually so beautiful. Maybe her ease at learning Spanish in school is genetic, I am one of those who believe that we inherit a sort of collective memory from our ancestors... who knows?
At all events, a second language is always important in a child's education, and it often is a factor when applying for a job later in life.

Un abrazu
Terechu
Sonia Garcia Mandzok

I need help

Post by Sonia Garcia Mandzok »

Although this looks like it is a closed discussion now that Barbara's grandaughter has made her presentation, I thought I would add a couple of comments.

We always knew that we were Asturianos. My father taught us that first, he was an Asturiano, second, a Spaniard and third, an American. He told us many stories of growing up in Piedras Blancas and he used to tell us stories of the "old caca wolf." I think the wolf stories were probably from Asturian folklore. Does anyone in the Forum know if they were?

As far as food, we always had tortilla in the house. We ate empanada with tuna, chicken & rice, cocido, fabadas, and to me, Tuna Salad was lettuce with canned tuna (plain) on top with vinegar & oil dressing. I never had Tuna Salad (American style) made with mayo until I was a teenager in high school, never even saw it that way! My dad said when he went to Kansas and saw people eating corn he was astounded because in Asturias, corn was fed to the animals. But he learned to really like corn on the cob.

Congrats to Barbara's grandaughter!
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

That's interesting about the tuna salad. Sounds healthier!

My grandfather refused to eat corn. He used to say it was for cattle, too.

--------------------

Es interesante lo de la ensalada de atún. Me parece más sano.

Mi abuelo se negó a que comiera la maíz. Decía que se comen los ganado.
Barbara Alonso Novellino

Thank you everyone for your kind words.

Thursday was a wonderful day for all of us. The auditorium was set up with all the country boards going around the sides...then in the middle tables for Lunch and in the back the buffet table with foods from all the nations that were represented. They also dressed in the dress of the Country they represented. I have to say for 6th Grade 11/12 year olds they all did a GREAT JOB.

We went from table to table and the students gave us a summary of their country with all the important facts...i.e Capital, population, points of interest, Natural Resources, etc. They also had to make a brochure to give out which they made in the Computer Lab. Gianna's had important facts...also, that her Grandmother is 100% Spanish from Asturias...that they came to this Country in the early 1900's to work in the Zinc Works. Also an important member of her family is her Great Grandfather...also from Asturias who is a builder/member of the Soccer Hall of Fame. She had my Dad's passport and Naturalization papers that belonged to my Maternal Grandfather. We were so very proud of her and all the other children.

The food was good. I brought Arroz con Pollo. Bob had asked if my Granddaughter and I made it. We had to have 2 1/2 trays or 1 full tray. I make it all the time but for a lesser crowd...so I was a little hesitant about making it. So...there is a Spanish Restaurant in Port Jeffereson Harbor here on LI. I had never gone there before...my husband and I went there for dinner last Sunday to see if it was indeed authentic. Well it was. I had Soupa de Galego and Arros Con Pollo. I have to say it was really very good. Served in a cast iron pot...with plenty to take home. The restaurant is owned by a second generation man whose father is from Galicia...the name is Alvarez. It was made with Chorizo, peas, chicken, pimentos, etc. I decided to order 2 1/2 trays and I have to say everyone really enjoyed it...and so did I.

Sonia all the food you spoke about...I also ate and loved it. When I was a child I didn't appreciate it...but now I would love to have some cocido. The soup I had on Sunday was such a treat and a reminder of years gone by.

Un abrazu,

Barbara

Return to “General Discussion - Discusión general”