The National Anthem of Spain

Group &amp; solo; voice, bagpipe, guitar, drum, etc.<br>
Banda y solo; voz, gaita, guitarra, tambor, etc.

Moderators: mariamatoyos, Chris, Moderators

Do you support adding words to Spain's National Anthem ?

Yes
63%
No
38%

Total votes: 8

Rvega

The National Anthem of Spain

Post by Rvega »

I see that Spain is looking to put words to their national anthem. There were never any words and a recent article stated that the anthem was rarely played during the dictatorship of Gen Francisco Franco (1939-1975) but now it has re-emerged with the return of democracy. I haven't followed this very closely maybe it's been discussed already. Is this favored in all of Spain ? If popular wouldn't it be something if an Asturian put the words to the anthem !

Roberto Vega
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

Good question, Roberto. I believe the anthem should be changed altogether. It's a military march, not a real anthem, and therefore needs no lyrics.
In my opinion, the "Himno del Riego", which was the previous anthem from the First Republic should be reinstated. It has something heroic about it and, besides, General del Riego was a fellow-Asturian :D .

Buena pregunta, Roberto. Yo creo que el himno habría que cambiarlo. Es una marcha militar, no un himno de verdad, y no necesita letra.
En mi opinión, se debería reinstituir el Himno del Riego, de la primera república, que tiene un aquéllo heróico y además - el General del Riego era asturiano :D
Eli

Post by Eli »

Interesting, never knew that there could be an anthem without words... wouldn't it defeat the purpose if it? after all the purpose of an anthem is to evocate/infuse loyalty patriotism, a sense of belonging, that can't be done without words. What was the reason for using a military march instead?

-----

Que interesante, no sabia que existian himnos sin palabras... no seria contraproductivo el tener un himno sin palabras? despues de todo el proposito de un himno es el crear sentimientos de patriotismo y lealtad, un sentimiento de unidad, eso no se puede hacer sin palabras. Cual fue el motivo/la razon para usar una marcha militar?
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

I don't think that words are necessary to create an emotional pull. The music used in films tells us how to feel without words.

I don't remember words well, so I don't know the words to "Asturias Patria Querida" or "The Star-Spangled Banner," but they still have an emotional effect on me.

-------------------

No creo que se exijen palabras para crear un tirón emocional. La música usado en peliculas no tiene palabras pero no dice como debemos sentir.

Soy malo en recordar palabras. Por eso, no sé las palabras de "Asturias Patria Querida" o "The Star-Spangled Banner", pero todavía tiran ed mi corazón.
Terechu

"Asturias, patria querida" only anthem really sung

Post by Terechu »

According to Prof. Casares, who directs the team of experts in charge of selecting the lyrics for Spain's national anthem, the only hymn that is really known and sung in Spain is our very own "Asturias, patria querida". No other region has had any success implementing an anthem that people can identify with and be willing to sing at the top of their lungs "en todas las ocasiones". :lol:
Maybe it's the unpolitical and totally surreal lyrics, i.e. "tengo de subir al arbol, tengo de coger la flor, y dársela a mi morena que la ponga en el balcón..." (I have to get up the tree, I have to pick that flower and give it to my brunette sweetheart for her to put on the balcony..."

http://www.lne.es/secciones/noticia.jsp ... a-Asturias
granda

Post by granda »

Asturian anthem works before is that we call in Spanish very "folklorico" I dont know how to translate. It is mix between funny, a bit tacky and surrealist, that is the way I see it anyway. It is not a traditional anthem at all.

Anthems usually focus on the history or military accomplishments of the people they represent, Nowadays Lyrics in anthems are only good in Sporting events. What else is a sporting match if not a battle!
As an example we have the following:

Scotland: Flower of Scotland: This anthem commemorates the battle of Bannockburn (1314) when the Scottish army under the leadership of Robert the Bruce defeated Edward II of England

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDqxvozay9g Rugby match Scotland- England

Ireland: The Soldier's Song It was first published in the newspaper, Irish Freedom in 1912. The song was not widely known until it was sung during the Easter Rising of 1916 agaisnt England and later at various internment camps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ6-bYixpYE Rugby match Ireland- England at Croke Park

France; Its original name was "Chant de guerre de l'Armée du Rhin" ("Marching Song of the Rhine Army") and it was dedicated to Marshal Nicolas Luckner, a Bavarian-born French officer from Cham. It became the rallying call of the French Revolution and received its name because it was first sung on the streets by troops (fédérés) from Marseille upon their arrival in Paris.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7f7AYLQ50A

In the current political situation in Spain I see difficulties in creating words for an anthem. Whatever words are selected will create a big argument. We have no other enemy in Spain except ourselves

Return to “Music - Música”