Asturians In West Virginia

If you can't figure out where else to post, say it here.<br>
Si no sabes dónde poner tu tema, pongalo aquí.

Moderator: Moderators

Ron Gonzalez

Asturians In West Virginia

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

This is a link to a little history of Asturian people of West Virginia.

WWW.wvculture.org/goldenseal/fall09/asturian.html
is

Post by is »

Thanks for the link to Luis Argeo's Asturian West Virginia. Is it a blurb for a book? If so, it looks like there's a mistake in the text as it says that the Asturian fabada is a mix of beans and rice & chicken. Unless it was a gourmet innovation in Anmoore, Spelter and Donora, I'm thinking it may be a mistake:

"These were towns where Asturian immigrants were in the majority, places where for many years people could speak the Asturian language, ate fabada (mixture of beans and rice with chicken), played the bagpipe..."
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

Thanks for the link, Ron. It makes me wonder, just how many such stories of our recent past have been forgotten in Asturias (and elsewhere), swept under the rug by 40 years of fascism under Franco and 25 years of neglect under democratic governments. We learned nothing of our own history in school, other than the "Reconquista" chapter, everything was secondary to the "glorious" history of Spain's imperial past! Empires don't send their sons and daughters off to other countries, if not to conquer them. What a sarcasm!
Bob

Post by Bob »

My fabada is beans (from Asturias, of course), morcilla, chorizos (home made and smoked), onions, a touch of garlic, a little white wine, smoked paprika, azafran, maybe a little jamon, nothing else. Rice? Never.
janice Schoffman

Post by janice Schoffman »

Bob wrote:My fabada is beans (from Asturias, of course), morcilla, chorizos (home made and smoked), onions, a touch of garlic, a little white wine, smoked paprika, azafran, maybe a little jamon, nothing else. Rice? Never.
I always cut up boiled egg in mine, both my mother and my grandmother did, too. I never put saffron, but will try it.

----------------
trans. Art

Siempre he cortado huevo cocido en la mía, mi madre y mi abuela también lo hizo. Nunca pongo el azafrán, pero lo intentaré.

Return to “General Discussion - Discusión general”