Gaiteros in Grasselli and CD compilations

Group &amp; solo; voice, bagpipe, guitar, drum, etc.<br>
Banda y solo; voz, gaita, guitarra, tambor, etc.

Moderators: mariamatoyos, Chris, Moderators

Pepe

Gaiteros in Grasselli and CD compilations

Post by Pepe »

My uncle, Victor Gonzalez, once related to me that many of the men who worked in Anmoore/Grasselli used to play their bagpipes on holidays and other occasions. I have two CDs I purchased in Spain of Asturian pipe music and a Chieftains CD based on Galician pipe music. I was wondering if anyone had one of the original gaitas or maybe just a story to share with the rest of us. Also I had the pleasure of attending the parade for the Centro Gallego when I was in Madrid. It was awesome to see all of the bands who came from all corners of the globe.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Welcome, Pepe!

I have a Galician gaita, but it's not one that saw use in WV, as far as I know. It is probably 20-30 years old. The Galician gaita is very similar to the Asturian gaita, but has a different arrangement of the appendages on the bag, along with (usually) a different scale and fingerings. Galician gaitas often have two or three drones, whereas (I believe) the usual Asturian gaita has only one or two.

I have posted a few links about gaitas on the links page.

My family has a painting done by my grandfather of his father-in-law holding a gaita. My grandparents wanted to leave for Cuba (and later the US) after getting married. My great-grandfather, the gaitero, did not want his daughter to go and so he refused to attend her wedding or see them off at the boat. The couple left the same day as the wedding, or the next, and never returned to Asturias.

There are a number of Spanish gaita recordings now. Which one do you have?
Suronda
Co-Founder

8mm of Gaitero

Post by Suronda »

Bienvenido Pepe!

I was just looking through some old videos, and I found a clip, taken originally from an 8mm film of a fiesta in Anmoore (Grasselli), that shows a Gaitero and drummer. I don't know the names of these folks, but it sounds like you might be able to identify them if you had a pic. I can work on trying to get something posted here perhaps.

I heard (and of course I can't remember where) that someone in the Clarksburg area still had one of the old gaitas. Perhaps someone else will have more specifics.
Pepe

CDs

Post by Pepe »

I purchased the two CDs I have in July 1999 at Corte Ingles in Madrid. The first is called Cantares de Sidra y Chigre. It was produced by Fono Astur C/ Uria nO. 44-3H, 33003, Oviedo, Asturias ES. It is all in Bable and includes una Jota. The second is simply titled Asturias and is a mix of Bable and Castellano. I believe they are all traditional. It was produced by Fonomusic, SA in 1996.

I also have Road to Santiago by the legendary Irish group, the Chieftains. While it is based on Galician tradition, an Asturian song is included to further extend the Celtic connection. The Chieftains also produced another CD, Down the Old Plank Road, that demonstrates the connection between Appalachian and Irish/Scots-Irish, traditional music. Interesting how so many seemingly different groups can have so much in common!
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

I've recently moved (months ago, but things are still in disarray!) and can't find my CDs. I think I have the Asturias CD, but hadn't heard of Cantares de Sidre y Chigre.

The word "chigre" interested me. In English it's what I always called a "chigger," that small flea that burrows under your skin and makes you itch. This is a different meaning, according to this article:
http://www.elcomerciodigital.com/gastro ... 000413.htm

I've never seen chigre used, but--if I'm reading the article correctly--it appears to refer to a nautical winch. Evidently, a retired sailor had rigged up an old winch to be used as an uncorking machine for cider bottles. Eventually the word came to refer also to the Asturian sidrerías--bars where cider is sold. (The article tells a more complicated story.)
Bob

Chigre

Post by Bob »

The asturianu/castellano dictionary I have here defines a chigre as (1) an old device for uncorking bottles, similar to the corkscrews used for cider bottles in sidrerias; (2) an establishment dedicated primarily to the sale of food and drink, and (3) in the most restricted sense, an establishment dedicated primarily to the sale of drinks.... (My translation from the castellano.) There is no mention of a nautical winch, but the dictionary does not give an etymology for most words. I'll try to remember to check my other dictionaries (especially DALLA) when I return to Cape Ann.

Bob Martinez
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

With help from my wife, I now have most of my Asturian and Galician CDs again. It looks like Pepe and I have different albums.

I wondered whether I was being foolish when I bought them because I had never heard any of them! Most of them are a pleasure to listen to. As I have time, I'll try to write brief reviews of the best CDs.

For now, I'll just say that I have music by these Asturians:
  • Banda de Gaites Naranco
  • Fonte Fuécara
  • El Gaitero de Veriña (José Antonio García Suárez)
  • José Ángel Hevia
  • Llan de Cubel (excellent),
  • Concepción Rodríguez Suárez
  • Sabugo ¡Tente firme!
  • Los Xustos
by these Galicians (which I'll include since their sound is so similar):
  • Leixaprén (fun)
  • Luar Na Lubre (wonderful)
  • Milladoirio (first rate!)
  • Susana Seivane (charming gaita)
and this compliation of players from all over Spain:
  • Mestres Da Gaita (a favorite for gaita)
Hmm. I'm a bit surprised by how many CDs this is. I haven't bought many in the past five or so years. I suppose my passions are showing!

Some of theses make me grit my teeth, so don't take this as a list of recommendations! But I would be interested in reading about your favorites.

What Asturian and Galician musicians do you enjoy?
Art
Site Admin

Listings of Asturian Folk Music Bands and Gaita Bands

Post by Art »

This link has a seemingly thorough listing of Asturian bands that play folk/folkloric music:
http://www.geocities.com/Nashville/7127 ... ufolk.html
If you follow the links to each band, you'll access descriptions of the bands, contact information, and links to related sites.

This link takes you to a long list of Asturian gaita bands:
http://www.geocities.com/Nashville/7127 ... andes.html
Some of the listings have links to further details about the bands.

Does anyone know of other sources of information?
Vitor

Where you can buy Asturian folk music on line

Post by Vitor »

Hi everyone,

My name is Vítor González but I'm not Bob's uncle. I live in Asturies and I've found this forum just surfing. If you are interested by Asturian traditional music you can buy recordings on line in this site
http://www.asturshop.com
Some interesting bands who don't tour in the States are Tejedor, Felpeyu (they was performing in Canada one year ago), Corquiéu and Llangres.
If you are interested in your Asturian roots I just write a brief article about Asturian History for this site http://www.thecelticplanet.com
All the best
Vítor
Sorry for my English
JoseM

Post by JoseM »

The word "chigre" is now used in Asturias as a synonimous of barroom or "cantina". Usually is an establishment where is served "sidra", but also seafood and other types of traditional -or not so traditional- food. They are nowadays like restaurants. It is possible that he word "chigre" comes from the French "cidre" (cider). Excuse my poor Engish!

An Asturian from Gijon "falled in love" with the USA.

Jose M.

Return to “Music - Música”