Familia Verdin, Artime, Ovies, Menendez, Lopez, Ruiz, Mieres

Researching our ancestors in Asturias & America.<br>
Investigando nuestros antepasados en Asturias y America

Moderators: svgev, Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

moni

ovies

Post by moni »

ovies es un apellido no extraño pero existen pocos, procurare ponerme en contacto con esa persona, es una mujer de unos 40 años, se le hamuerto su familia y se marcho a otra ciudad pero si me das un par de semanas puede que la localice

--------------------
trans. Art

Ovies is a surname [which is] not uncommon but few [Ovies] exist. I will try to get in touch with this person. She is a woman of approximately 40 years, her family has died, and she moved to another city, but if you give me a couple of weeks it is possible that I can locate her.
Sweeney

relatives

Post by Sweeney »

Gracias por su ayuda. Si cualquiera piensa se usted relacionan con mí, yo desearía oír de usted. ¡Grazias!
¿Puede usted entender mi español? :?

Thank you for your help. If anybody believes they are related to me, I would love to hear from you. Thanks!
Donna
moni

ovies

Post by moni »

hola dona, intentare ponerme en contacto con carmen ovies, los unicos ovies que conozco son sus familiares, primos y tios, sus padres y su hermano han muerto, eran amigos de mis padres, ella tiene un hijo pequeño, preguntare a mi madre de donde era su padre: jose maria ovies, creo que tus antepasados eran de salinas, yo se que carmen ovies tiene familia en gijon, una ciudad costera asturiana muy bonita y es donde ella vive ahora, yo por mi parte estoy buscando a mis posibles familiares que se apellidan balbona, un saludo a bob y donna, gracias por todo, y no te preocupes que te entiendo.

--------------------
trans. Art

Hola Donna, I will try to get in touch with carmen ovies. The only ovies that I know are her relatives, cousins and uncles, her parents and her brother have died. [Not clear whether her brother has died or all of them have died]. They were friends of my parents. She has a small son. I will ask my mother where his father, jose maria ovies, was from. I believe that his forbears were from Salinas. And I know that carmen ovies has family in gijon, a very nice Asturian coastal city and that this is where she lives now, I on my part am looking for my possible relatives who are called balbona, a greeting to bob and donna, thanks for everything, and do not worry that I understand you.
Sweeney

Thanks

Post by Sweeney »

Thank you for your help!

My Great, Great Grandparents were Miguel Artime and Florentina Ovies. They were from San Martin de Podes - Gozon. I found this information from baptimal records.

Thanks again, :D

Donna
---------------------------
Gracias por su ayuda. Mis tatarabuelos eran Miguel Artime y Florentina Ovies. Eran de San Martin de Podes - Gozon. Encontré esta información de expedientes baptimal.

Gracias otra vez, :D
Last edited by Sweeney on Sun Jul 06, 2003 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Donna
Sweeney

Update

Post by Sweeney »

I recently received an email from my second cousin in Salinas, Asturias, Spain. He informed me that my great grandmother's name was actually Maria Victoria Artime Ovies. He also sent a photo of her and her husband Guillermo Verdin Lopez. He also confirmed my belief that they owned a hotel. He said it is still in Salinas and is now called Bar Ramiro. 8)
---------
Recibí recientemente un email de mi segundo primo en Salinas, Asturias, España. Él me informó que el nombre de mis bisabuela era realmente Maria Victoria Artime Ovies. Él también envió una foto de ella y su esposo Guillermo Verdin Lopez. Él también confirmó mi creencia que mi bisabuelos poseyeron un hotel. Él lo dijo todavía está en Salinas y ahora se llama Bar Ramiro. :wink:
Donna
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Donna, if you are able to scan the photo, we could post it in our photo album and also display it in your post. Let me know if you need help.
Art

--------

Donna, si usted es capaz de escanear la foto, nosotros podría fijarlo en nuestro álbum de foto y también mostrarlo en su poste. Avíseme si usted necesita ayuda.
Art
Last edited by Art on Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
manuel

Re: Update

Post by manuel »

hola DONA ,por fin ya puedo entrar en el foro, me encanta cuando escribes en español asi lo puedo entender mejor :lol: no me aclaro muy bien aqui pero procurare entenderme,besos y hasta pronto desde AVILES ASTURIAS .

--------------------
trans. Art

Hola DONNA, finally already I can enter the forum, I am charmed when you write in Spanish (because) like that I can understand better. I do not catch on very well here but I will try to understand.
Kisses and bye until our next chat, from AVILES, ASTURIAS.
Art
Site Admin

Parts ofAnmoore and Spelter in Simpson District

Post by Art »

It appears that the Simpson District may have included parts of both Spelter and Anmoore. An old 1933 map published by the Clarksburg Publishing Co. shows a dashed district line cutting through Anmoore and (I think) Spelter.

I have written to the contact person for the Harrison County site Suronda found to report this discrepancy. Maybe she'll be able to tell us more.
Sweeney

Arrival in America

Post by Sweeney »

My grandparents Donato Artime Menendez and Florentina Verdin Artime came to America on 22 November 1913 aboard the S.S. Adriatic. On the Ellis Island Records they stated they were going to stay with their Aunt Prudencia Verdin who lived at 7006 Pennsylvania, St. Louis, MO.

If anybody is related to Prudencia Verdin, I would love to hear from you.

By the way, I thought it was interesting that Bob's grandparents and my grandparents came to America on the same ship and went to the same town to live. 8)
Donna
Fermin

Verdin, Artime, Ovies, Menendez, Lopez & Ruiz families

Post by Fermin »

Hola:

Puede encontrar amplia información sobre Salinas en:

http://www.vivirasturias.com/asturias/i ... index.html

El hotel balneario puede ser ahora un restaurante.

Saludos
Sweeney

Baptismal Certificate for Maria Victoria Artime Ovies

Post by Sweeney »

Today I received copies of my great grandmother's Baptism and Marriage certificates.

According to the baptimal certificate, the parents of Maria Victoria Artime Ovies were Miguel Artime and Florentina Ovies. Her paternal grandparents were Jose Artime and Maria Menendez. Her maternal grandparents were Francisco Ovies and Isabel Mieres (or Mienes). Her godparents (Padrinos) were Victorio Piene and Maria Catalina Bac.

Maria Victoria Artime Ovies was baptized on 23 October 1861 in San Martin de Laspra, Asturias, Spain. 8)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yo recibí hoy copias de los certificados del bautismo y de matrimonio de mi bisabuela. Según el certificado baptimal, los padres de Maria Victoria Artime Ovies eran Miguel Artime y Florentina Ovies.

Su abuelos paternales eran Jose Artime y Maria Menendez. Su abuelos maternales eran Francisco Ovies e Isabel Mieres (o Mienes). Sus Padrinos eran Victorio Piene y Maria Catalina Bac.

Bautizaron a Maria Victoria Artime Ovies el 23 de octubre de 1861 en San Martin de Laspra, Asturias, España. 8)
Donna
Sweeney

Donora

Post by Sweeney »

On the 1930 Census, my grandfather, Donato Artimez is listed as working at a Zinc Mill. His Social Security application (dated 1936) shows he worked at the American Steel and Wire Company of New Jersey, located in Donora, PA. Does anybody know if the American Steel and Wire Company was a zinc Mill? It is not an important detail. I was just curious. 8)
Donna
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

The following quote would indicate that American Steel and Wire Co. had a zinc plant (as well as steel) in Donora.

"Donora: A town (pop. 7,500) 28 miles (45 km) to the south of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, where one of the most serious of all air pollution incidents took place in October 1948. For a week, fog was trapped beneath an inversion and smoke and fumes from a zinc works and an iron works both owned by the American Steel and Wire Company mixed with the water droplets."

(found at: http://www.fofweb.com/Subscription/Scie ... nweath0954)

Zinc is very important in the steel industry because of its use in galvanizing steel, a process in which a layer of zinc is applied by dipping steel in molten zinc. The zinc protects the steeel from corrosion (rusting).
Xuacu

Re: Why the Werdin's came to Spain

Post by Xuacu »

Hi, very nice site!
Sweeney wrote: ... They were a wealthy family that owned a machinery parts factory in Belgium and one in Mieres, Spain...
You may want to check Mieres Council archive. http://zorba.ayto-mieres.es/1/104/10402 ... esp&code=1
There is not an english translation; but you may find the adress at the end of the 3rd page (and a fax number too). And perhaps at info@ayto-mieres.es they can give you some info :)

Best of all... I think I know Carmen Ovies!... I'll try to reach her and tell about this forum; I think she'll be pleased to know :D

Saludinos
--
Xuacu
Sweeney

THANKS

Post by Sweeney »

Dear Xuacu:

Thank you for your help. I found a couple addresses and I will send out some letters asking for help. THANKS!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I also want to update some information on my family. Yesterday my cousin informed me he located my great grandfather's baptismal certificate. Guillermo Verdin Lopez is the son of Juan Luis Verdin of Belgium and Teresa Lopez Cuesta of Samo de Grado. Guillermo's paternal grandparents are Luis Verdin and Margarite Jaque of Belgium. His maternal grandparents are Miguel Lopez and Cecilia Cuesta.

If anybody has done any research on these families, I would love to hear from you. 8)
Donna

Return to “Genealogy - Genealogía”